ADVERTISEMENT

Pathetic, Frank

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
Must win game last night and in typical fashion we come up short. Two years removed from Final Four run and nothing to show for it. Still can't recruit and we're fortunate to make the NIT during a "good" season. Frank's been here long enough for better expectations. Our program history is a sorry excuse.

Reactions: sadd66 and danh011
Must win game last night and in typical fashion we come up short. Two years removed from Final Four run and nothing to show for it. Still can't recruit and we're fortunate to make the NIT during a "good" season. Frank's been here long enough for better expectations. Our program history is a sorry excuse.

Your wins may be limited when you shot 15% in the first half and lose your outstanding freshman in the 2nd half.

However, I'm sick and tired of Frank Martin's bully behavior. Not buying any MBB tickets again until he's gone.

Your wins may be limited when you shot 15% in the first half and lose your outstanding freshman in the 2nd half.

However, I'm sick and tired of Frank Martin's bully behavior. Not buying any MBB tickets again until he's gone.

Please stay away. I hope you never buy tickets again. If you really buy tickets

My favorite Martin freakouts this year is when Haase is late on a rotation or doesn't know how to handle a potential switch situation or is rotated to the top of the key in a non shooting situation and does something foolish... it's like coach, you keep putting him in these situations you know he can't handle because he's incredibly limited, stop yelling at him. You look like a buffoon. It's like giving a toddler a bunch of markers and then screaming at them when they draw on the walls. If your set has him rotating to the top of the key to be a ball handler or you're asking him to read a switch on guard, you need to be yelling at yourself or your assistants.

Get him @sclawman77! If he had won he'd be good, but he didn't so he needs your official pronouncement that he's a bum!

After each loss, it's always waiting out there for you -- lose and you suck! And we here at FGF are here to tell you while we sit at our own day jobs!
Preach it, brother.

Y'all liked Frank a couple weeks ago didn't ya? Give a rest...don't watch...don't go..simple solution to your torment. Fire Frank and then what, some second level coach comes in and takes credit next year for a young team Frank had this year and next? We have some talent but it's easier to curse the darkness than light a candle. Frank has still taken the program to places even the other Frank didn't so what's the problem? Relax it will be okay.

Y'all liked Frank a couple weeks ago didn't ya? Give a rest...don't watch...don't go..simple solution to your torment. Fire Frank and then what, some second level coach comes in and takes credit next year for a young team Frank had this year and next? We have some talent but it's easier to curse the darkness than light a candle. Frank has still taken the program to places even the other Frank didn't so what's the problem? Relax it will be okay.

I know. I still can't believe we fired Brad Scott after he lead us to our first bowl win. And then we ended up with that second level coach. Really short sighted on our part. Hope we learn from that mistake. When a coach takes your program to new heights he should get 10 more years, minimum!

I'm a SC alum living in the Austin, TX area now. UTx folks here are second guessing replacing Rick Barnes with Shaka Smart.

I could easily see CFM doing well elsewhere, if he leaves SC. I've been critical of him myself, however I think he's shown to be a good coach. I'm in no rush to chase him off.

I may be in the minority but I like Frank...I like what he brings to the sport and how the players respect him. I hope he stays along time. This team is fun to watch even with the loses. They play their ass off and at some point it will pay off. It's unfortunate we have so many injuries. I don't think there is a better coach for this university. I, like a lot of other fans, do wish there were more successes but I truly believe he will get there. Fire away...

I'm a SC alum living in the Austin, TX area now. UTx folks here are second guessing replacing Rick Barnes with Shaka Smart.

I could easily see CFM doing well elsewhere, if he leaves SC. I've been critical of him myself, however I think he's shown to be a good coach. I'm in no rush to chase him off.
Say they fired Frank it still doesn't matter who we hired Tanner haters would still cry because Ray hired the wrong guy. Hey, they ain't a long line of coaches sending up prayers for the job to come open.

Reactions: roosterbell
I'm not saying I want Martin canned. It's not like Ray is going to act anyway.

I'm not saying I want Martin canned. It's not like Ray is going to act anyway.
There's not need to act Frank is going to win basketball games it's the all or nothing crowd who don't get it. Even if we had won all those early games remember when we had, what 24 wins, and got screwed anyway? They love you if you're winning and hate you if you're losing and the bottom line is they always hate you.

Say they fired Frank it still doesn't matter who we hired Tanner haters would still cry because Ray hired the wrong guy. Hey, they ain't a long line of coaches sending up prayers for the job to come open.
Agree. Stop blaming Tanner for lousy sports results. Be thankful he willingly accepted the AD job.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I'd say recruiting looks good now. The attrition has been the most frustrating part of his time here, but it looks like that is being corrected, and I look forward to the future.

This. And it looks better this season because a few players actually look decent. The class that killed Frank is the class that should all be seniors this year and it is showing. They were decent but decided to go shoot windows out of cars and getting into trouble. Then add Felder’s issues. We’d be a much better team now with those guys. I was finished with Frank early in the year after being a defender before that. I’m back defending based on how these young guys played and based on Hannibal coming in (not happy but see the progress). I didn’t believe we were an NCAA team heading into the season. But we cannot have Bryant, Lawson, or any other contributor transfer or get in trouble. The margin of error is small now. In fact it probably doesn’t exist now.

I was disappointed in last night’s loss too. But we’ve changed coaches time and time again and have the worst program in the SEC since we’ve joined the league. I’d say it’s time to try something different and maybe that different is being patient with a guy that has proven he can get a team deep in the NCAA tournament on multiple occasions. In 5 years there is going to be a major shift in college basketball. Maybe our best position is to be a team with stability. I’d expect Frank to win next season or we move on. But honestly, I think we’ll be a better team next season.

There's not need to act Frank is going to win basketball games it's the all or nothing crowd who don't get it. Even if we had won all those early games remember when we had, what 24 wins, and got screwed anyway? They love you if you're winning and hate you if you're losing and the bottom line is they always hate you.
Who said he's "going to win"? You got a crystal ball? Like this anywhere. Win and you're loved, lose and you're despised. Not a difficult concept. Or dont give a crap. Which is now a majority of our fanbase.

Reactions: ddw1263
Who said he's "going to win"? You got a crystal ball? Like this anywhere. Win and you're loved, lose and you're despised. Not a difficult concept. Or dont give a crap. Which is now a majority of our fanbase.
I saw he will win because he can coach and his class next year looks good combine that with a young class now and he will win.

This. And it looks better this season because a few players actually look decent. The class that killed Frank is the class that should all be seniors this year and it is showing. They were decent but decided to go shoot windows out of cars and getting into trouble. Then add Felder’s issues. We’d be a much better team now with those guys. I was finished with Frank early in the year after being a defender before that. I’m back defending based on how these young guys played and based on Hannibal coming in (not happy but see the progress). I didn’t believe we were an NCAA team heading into the season. But we cannot have Bryant, Lawson, or any other contributor transfer or get in trouble. The margin of error is small now. In fact it probably doesn’t exist now.

I was disappointed in last night’s loss too. But we’ve changed coaches time and time again and have the worst program in the SEC since we’ve joined the league. I’d say it’s time to try something different and maybe that different is being patient with a guy that has proven he can get a team deep in the NCAA tournament on multiple occasions. In 5 years there is going to be a major shift in college basketball. Maybe our best position is to be a team with stability. I’d expect Frank to win next season or we move on. But honestly, I think we’ll be a better team next season.

I'm sorry, where is this good recruiting...

The 2016 class had a national rank of 65 and 11 in the SEC. 2 of the players are still with the team-- they are Kotsar and Gravett. Not good.

The 2017 class had a national ranking of 64 and 12 in the SEC. 2 of the players are still with the team (assuming Cudd is gone)-- they are Haase and Minaya. Not good.

The 2018 class had a national rank of 55 and 10 in the SEC. The class was saved when AJ Lawson parachuted in at the last second. Lawson is fantastic. Bryant is ok. Fair enough class, I guess.

The 2019 class has a national rank of 72 and an SEC rank of 12. Ouch.

You're fooling yourself if you think something good is happening here. The good things are happening at Tennessee and Alabama and Auburn and Georgia. Who are talking all the players Frank should be getting.

The 2016 class had a national rank of 65 and 11 in the SEC. 2 of the players are still with the team-- they are Kotsar and Gravett. Not good.

The 2017 class had a national ranking of 64 and 12 in the SEC. 2 of the players are still with the team (assuming Cudd is gone)-- they are Haase and Minaya. Not good.

The 2018 class had a national rank of 55 and 10 in the SEC. The class was saved when AJ Lawson parachuted in at the last second. Lawson is fantastic. Bryant is ok. Fair enough class, I guess.

You're fooling yourself if you think something good is happening here. The good things are happening at Tennessee and Alabama and Auburn and Georgia. Who are talking all the players Frank should be getting.

When I said it’s better I meant attrition which appears it will be better this season because we actually have players contributing.

But why can’t people read and see that by no means is anyone thrilled with the state of the program? In my post I say there is no margin of error. In my post I admit I was ready to get rid of Frank early this season. In my post I admit I am not happy about this season. How in the hell is that seen as “something good is happening here?” On here if you aren’t calling for someone’s head that means you are thrilled with everything!!!!

But we can go fire Frank and hire the next Darrin Horn. That’s a real possibility too. What I know is that Frank has shown he can win in the tournament. I’m fine being patient. Frank inherited a terrible program, had some bad luck, and yes...made some mistakes. Not thrilled about it. We’ll have to fix recruiting but winning helps that. We aren’t going to become an instant winner over night. There is a real reason we’ve been the worst program in the conference over the past 25 years. Players don’t want to play here. It’s not a simple fix of throwing money at a coach. This is going to take a long time to build. Regardless of who the coach is.

Last edited:

That 2017 team reached the final four so what's you're point? When have we ever had a top 10 recruiting class in basketball? The 2016 got screwed out of the tournament everyone knows we should have been selected. If rankings are that much of an issue then Frank is doing pretty &@@^ well with what he's had.

Frank would have no problem landing on his feet if we were to part ways with him. And Frank would have success there too. History tells us this is one of the hardest jobs in the country. There is a reason Billy Donovan told his pal Anthony Grant not to go to SC. The fact we aren’t winning more right now shows me just how difficult this job is. We still have a very long way to go.

That 2017 team reached the final four so what's you're point? When have we ever had a top 10 recruiting class in basketball? The 2016 got screwed out of the tournament everyone knows we should have been selected. If rankings are that much of an issue then Frank is doing pretty &@@^ well with what he's had.

Yeah, that team reached the final four... lead by the 2015 recruiting class which was ranked 33 nationally and 7 in the SEC and the 2013 class which was ranked 24 nationally and 5 in the SEC. That squad had 5 top 150 players on it; 2 of those guys were top 50.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Yeah, that team reached the final four... lead by the 2015 recruiting class which was ranked 33 nationally and 7 in the SEC and the 2013 class which was ranked 24 nationally and 5 in the SEC. That squad had 5 top 150 players on it; 2 of those guys were top 50.
Okay well Franks first year was 2012 so who recruited that final four team?

now why did you have to bring facts here??

Okay well Franks first year was 2012 so who recruited that final four team?

Obviously he did. Which is what makes this so difficult to figure out. He's not a moron. He's a good coach. Something has happened and he cannot get players. This has been one of the great moments in history for South Carolina basketball talent. The likely first and second draft picks in the up-coming NBA draft are both from South Carolina. Tennessee, Alabama, Vandy, Auburn, Georgia, Ole Miss, etc., etc. are falling over themselves to pull all these top 150 guys from South Carolina over the past 4 years. And Frank has done... nothing. He's landed no one of note other than AJ Lawson. It's astounding.

Obviously he did. Which is what makes this so difficult to figure out. He's not a moron. He's a good coach. Something has happened and he cannot get players. This has been one of the great moments in history for South Carolina basketball talent. The likely first and second draft picks in the up-coming NBA draft are both from South Carolina. Tennessee, Alabama, Vandy, Auburn, Georgia, Ole Miss, etc., etc. are falling over themselves to pull all these top 150 guys from South Carolina over the past 4 years. And Frank has done... nothing. He's landed no one of note other than AJ Lawson. It's astounding.
Right he did recruit those guys. I rest my case...look to the future.

Step back from the ledge.

Oh, it really doesn't bother me. I'd like the team to do well, but I'll enjoy watching basketball just the same. It's simply interesting to see people defend him for no reason what so ever. Makes me think there are some people here who only watch South Carolina basketball and don't see how other teams or programs are run. And they just listen to the commentators and pundits talk about how great Frank Martin is and assume it must be true.

I still contend that the majority of kids out there don't want to play for that demeanor. I think it takes a special/certain mentality to embrace that challenge. That's a small percentage of the 18yo male population. Now drill that down to the percentage of the male population who are really good at basketball, and that's the talent pool that we're able to draw from.....which in my estimation is pretty small.

That's the only reason I can come up with. I mean, CFM is a good BB coach - If I want my kid to be coached by a fundamentally sound BB coach, Martin fits. He cares for the kids. If I want my kid to play for a coach who cares, Martin fits.

Reactions: taiwancock
Oh, it really doesn't bother me. I'd like the team to do well, but I'll enjoy watching basketball just the same. It's simply interesting to see people defend him for no reason what so ever. Makes me think there are some people here who only watch South Carolina basketball and don't see how other teams or programs are run. And they just listen to the commentators and pundits talk about how great Frank Martin is and assume it must be true.
I'm not defending Frank for no reason I believe what I say. Getting bent comes with being a sports fan that keeps the passion alive, winning all the time would grow old and tedious. It keeps the old blood pumping, it what makes us tune in to the game because it's like a box of chocolates. Can't win them all just play the game like you want to is all I expect.

I still contend that the majority of kids out there don't want to play for that demeanor. I think it takes a special/certain mentality to embrace that challenge. That's a small percentage of the 18yo male population. Now drill that down to the percentage of the male population who are really good at basketball, and that's the talent pool that we're able to draw from.....which in my estimation is pretty small.

That's the only reason I can come up with. I mean, CFM is a good BB coach - If I want my kid to be coached by a fundamentally sound BB coach, Martin fits. He cares for the kids. If I want my kid to play for a coach who cares, Martin fits.

Sound reasoning. And if that's the feedback the AD's office has, Tanner should fire him. Frank, hate to do it, but we've done our research and kids don't want to play for you. Obviously you can't continue coaching here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT