ADVERTISEMENT

Please, all of you answer a simple question about contributing towards an NIL fund.

Jul 4, 2021
I just want to ask a simple question. Share your opinions about it if you'd like, but at least answer my question.

Do you think there are at least 50,000 Gamecock fans out there that would donate $100 per year to an NIL fund to pay to players?

That would be less than 28 cents per day, and would be an annual amount of $5 million. When you break it down to almost a quarter a day, it's hard to turn that down, you cheap bastards!

Thank you for your time.

I just want to ask a simple question. Share your opinions about it if you'd like, but at least answer my question.

Do you think there are at least 50,000 Gamecock fans out there that would donate $100 per year to an NIL fund to pay to players?

That would be less than 28 cents per day, and would be an annual amount of $5 million. When you break it down to almost a quarter a day, it's hard to turn that down, you cheap bastards!

Thank you for your time.

There are likely fans that would but I'm not one of them.

What's an NIL fund? And how would this fund use the athletes' name, image and likeness?

Straight up paying players is still off the table. And while the NCAA can't (and shouldn't) be regulating the legitimate marketing deals that players sign, payments from boosters are still against NCAA rules. (The entity paying must receive something of value from the athlete.)

The NCAA also has control over the school's actions - and after this year it will probably put restrictions on the schools as it relates to the school assisting in the procurement and negotiation of deals for athletes (the "Alabama model" everyone refers to wherein recruits are introduced to their NIL sponsor on visits).

To answer your question though - I do think there are 50k Gamecock fans that would donate $100 for that purpose.

What's an NIL fund? And how would this fund use the athletes' name, image and likeness?

Straight up paying players is still off the table. And while the NCAA can't (and shouldn't) be regulating the legitimate marketing deals that players sign, payments from boosters are still against NCAA rules. (The entity paying must receive something of value from the athlete.)

The NCAA also has control over the school's actions - and after this year it will probably put restrictions on the schools as it relates to the school assisting in the procurement and negotiation of deals for athletes (the "Alabama model" everyone refers to wherein recruits are introduced to their NIL sponsor on visits).

To answer your question though - I do think there are 50k Gamecock fans that would donate $100 for that purpose.
It wouldn't be hard to do to. Set up an advertising/promotion agency LLC signing up local businesses who would like to use an athlete in their promotion/commercial/advertisement and the boosters who wish to fund it pay the athlete to use their NIL in the local businesses promotion/commercial/advertisement. The individual businesses pay for everything else but the atheletes' NIL.

It wouldn't be hard to do to. Set up an advertising/promotion agency LLC signing up local businesses who would like to use an athlete in their promotion/commercial/advertisement and the boosters who wish to fund it pay the athlete to use their NIL in the local businesses promotion/commercial/advertisement. The individual businesses pay for everything else but the atheletes' NIL.

So you hire someone to run an agency who will set up contracts with the local businesses, and the businesses would just get free advertising, paid for by boosters? All for the purpose of funneling money to prospects? No one would ever find out!

There are so many easier ways to make this work. A booster could give $50k to a local dealership, so the dealership could sign a deal with the prospect. Easy peazy. But the Gamecock NIL cabal would be found out pretty easily and be against the rules.

So you hire someone to run an agency who will set up contracts with the local businesses, and the businesses would just get free advertising, paid for by boosters? All for the purpose of funneling money to prospects? No one would ever find out!

There are so many easier ways to make this work. A booster could give $50k to a local dealership, so the dealership could sign a deal with the prospect. Easy peazy. But the Gamecock NIL cabal would be found out pretty easily and be against the rules.
I was simply addressing the situation as originally proposed. There are plenty of ways that this allows boosters to funnel money to players. And in my scenario, the boosters wouldn't pay for the businesses other expenses for the advertising, etc., just for the athletes' NiL usage in that advertisement.

Todd, is that true, that "The entity paying must receive something of value from the athlete."? I've been trying to find rules/guidelines on this. And what barriers are currently in place that would prevent a group from forming to, say, promote tourism in South Carolina, then pay fifty football players $100,000 each to make an Instagram and Facebook post promoting it? Or prevent a group of Kentucky fans from opening a produce stand and pay each basketball player $250,000 each for the right to post their likeness on a billboard saying they love the apples at that stand? Or a Florida fan from paying $75,000 for an autograph of a football player listed on Ebay?

I hope there are safeguards in place to prevent things of that nature. It would ease my mind about this NIL thing, but I haven't seen them.

Last edited:
Todd, is that true, that "The entity paying must receive something of value from the athlete."? I've been trying to find rules/guidelines on this. And what barriers are currently in place that would prevent a group from forming to, say, promote tourism in South Carolina, then pay fifty football players $100,000 each to make an Instagram and Facebook post promoting it? Or prevent a group of Kentucky fans from opening an produce stand and pay each basketball player $250,000 each for the right to post their likeness on a billboard saying they love the apples at that stand? Or a Florida fan from paying $75,000 for an autograph of a football player listed on Ebay?

I hope there are safeguards in place to prevent things of that nature. It would ease my mind about this NIL thing, but I haven't seen them.
There is nothing that can or will prevent that.

Everyone knew this was coming. The NCAA had the chance to propose something reasonable and balanced and they chose not to. So now they can't. This is on the NCAA.

Thank you for your time.

It's counterintuitive, but probably depends on timing and performance.

Currently, Clemson could collect 5mil in under 5 minutes for the cause. USC fans need to feel a little better about the direction of the program prior to such an endeavor.

Watching us pony the $15mil extortion to a borderline fraud {based around poor admin decisions} hasn't sweetened the pot.

Everyone knew this was coming. The NCAA had the chance to propose something reasonable and balanced and they chose not to. So now they can't. This is on the NCAA.
I mean there was no reasonable proposal if you’re saying players can be paid for NIL. It’s either this or nothing.

Reactions: rogue cock
Todd, is that true, that "The entity paying must receive something of value from the athlete."? I've been trying to find rules/guidelines on this. And what barriers are currently in place that would prevent a group from forming to, say, promote tourism in South Carolina, then pay fifty football players $100,000 each to make an Instagram and Facebook post promoting it? Or prevent a group of Kentucky fans from opening a produce stand and pay each basketball player $250,000 each for the right to post their likeness on a billboard saying they love the apples at that stand? Or a Florida fan from paying $75,000 for an autograph of a football player listed on Ebay?

They are working on all that and it will come down to "fair market value." Is anyone in the world's autograph worth $75,000 right now? Probably not. Can any produce stand afford $250,000 to advertise? Probably not. There will be some safeguards put in place because the kid wouldn't be getting paid $75,000 for an autograph, it would be for playing football. And that's still not allowed for college athletes.

Reactions: duckcock2.0.0

Thank you for your time.

mothers couldn’t call us in my day. We were our running around naked in the woods.

Maybe the NCAA has and couldn't find a solution that would adequately address the other issues attenuant to this action.....most states legislatures are not well-known for thinking in depth or considering outlying issues. Ours surely is not.

Reactions: Lakecock1
They are working on all that and it will come down to "fair market value." Is anyone in the world's autograph worth $75,000 right now? Probably not. Can any produce stand afford $250,000 to advertise? Probably not. There will be some safeguards put in place because the kid wouldn't be getting paid $75,000 for an autograph, it would be for playing football. And that's still not allowed for college athletes.
The only reason their name, image or likeness would be worth anything is because they play football or basketball. What's the difference?

Reactions: Lakecock1
Then take the scholarships away. Do some of you want the fan base to actually fund both ends of this deal?

Reactions: F-86F
Then take the scholarships away. Do some of you want the fan base to actually fund both ends of this deal?
If you take the scholarships away you’re just going to have to pay the kids even more money.

not sure why you guys think this is a rational suggestion

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
The only reason their name, image or likeness would be worth anything is because they play football or basketball. What's the difference?

Its easily delineated. The baseline of the market is already set as we’ve had athletes and entertainers selling their NIL for a century. Could Trevor Lawrence’s autograph be worth $75,000? Maybe if he committed to only signing 1 autograph ever, but not if he’s a regular professional athlete selling his signature to memorabilia dealers. And you could apply this to literally any industry. Is a Shi Smith made pizza worth $25,000? Or even $5,000? No. If Tom Colicchio couldn’t charge it, Shi Smith can’t either.

I know the world is short on it these days, but common sense easily dictates most of this.

Its easily delineated. The baseline of the market is already set as we’ve had athletes and entertainers selling their NIL for a century. Could Trevor Lawrence’s autograph be worth $75,000? Maybe if he committed to only signing 1 autograph ever, but not if he’s a regular professional athlete selling his signature to memorabilia dealers. And you could apply this to literally any industry. Is a Shi Smith made pizza worth $25,000? Or even $5,000? No. If Tom Colicchio couldn’t charge it, Shi Smith can’t either.

I know the world is short on it these days, but common sense easily dictates most of this.
But for their athletic pursuits, these kids NIL would be worthless....period. Their NIL value is inextricably tied to their playing athletics at a particular university. Basically no matter how you slice it, this IS pay for play.

The NCAA is going to tell us how much an autograph is worth on the free market? I guess they’ll need to poach some people from the IRS transfer pricing division if not the Minority Report thought police.

BTW someone recently paid $69 million for digital art that is already free online. Trevor Lawrence’s sig for $75k is a steal compared to that. I can only imagine what people might pay for a lock of his hair or for him to show up at your party dressed like a centaur.

The NCAA is going to tell us how much an autograph is worth on the free market? I guess they’ll need to poach some people from the IRS transfer pricing division if not the Minority Report thought police.

BTW someone recently paid $69 million for digital art that is already free online. Trevor Lawrence’s sig for $75k is a steal compared to that. I can only imagine what people might pay for a lock of his hair or for him to show up at your party dressed like a centaur.

No. The market tells us how much an autograph is worth - the NCAA, and anyone with common sense will be the ones to let us know how much it’s not worth.

That said, the NFT market that you mentioned will probably be the space where all of this could go nuts, above all other scenarios. Not just because of the newness of the whole thing (the NFT market hasn’t set itself because no one can really decide what they represent as art or a commodity), but also because of the anonymity the cryptocurrency offers.

But for their athletic pursuits, these kids NIL would be worthless....period. Their NIL value is inextricably tied to their playing athletics at a particular university. Basically no matter how you slice it, this IS pay for play.

Yes and no. Their fame is tied to their playing for sure - but their fame is for sale, not their playing ability. I’d be paying Luke Doty to advertise for my restaurant (hoping his fame and subsequent endorsement drives people to my restaurant) - he wouldn’t, however, be playing for our weekend touch football team.

Yes and no. Their fame is tied to their playing for sure - but their fame is for sale, not their playing ability. I’d be paying Luke Doty to advertise for my restaurant (hoping his fame and subsequent endorsement drives people to my restaurant) - he wouldn’t, however, be playing for our weekend touch football team.
Would you pay if Doty was third string and carrying the clipboard? Somehow I doubt it and, if not, this is exactly pay for play....or more accurately pay for performance. This is no longer amatuer athletics.

Nobody accepts anything reasonable anymore. Once the NCAA gave some, they would demand more. And even this probably won't be the end of it.

Reactions: king ward
Nobody accepts anything reasonable anymore. Once the NCAA gave some, they would demand more. And even this probably won't be the end of it.
I can guarantee one thing....the NCAA has better legal advisors than our state legislatures do and I am sure they are very concerned about other legal ramifications resulting from payments to "amatuer" athletes as a result of their participation in any sport....regardless of what form that payment takes.

Would you pay if Doty was third string and carrying the clipboard? Somehow I doubt it and, if not, this is exactly pay for play....or more accurately pay for performance. This is no longer amatuer athletics.

Well, his fame wouldn’t be very high if he were third string - though it could be (he could have a big social media following). He could also be using his platform as a football player (albeit third string in this hypothetical) to discuss his favorite things. He could be a gamer that gets sponsored by someone who makes chairs for gamers. There are so many ways that these kids want to “build their brand” and actual stats on the field make up a small portion of that.

But even as a starter Todd Ellis wasn’t great at anything except throwing interceptions, but he still could have cleaned up back in his day.

And yes, great play can be a fast way to fame, but it’s hardly the only way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT