Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Keep Holbrook, but only if we make a superregional

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Keep Holbrook, but only if we make the CWS

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Keep Holbrook, but only if we win the CWS

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
If you were playing poker would you lock in your bet before seeing all your cards? (If you didn't have to)

If you were playing poker would you lock in your bet before seeing all your cards? (If you didn't have to)

57.1% of those voting (thus far) would fold with a 2 of spades, 4 of diamonds, 6 of hearts, 8 of clubs, and 10 of diamonds when 80% of the cards have been dealt on the first deal.

In 2002 Smoke Laval led the LSU Tigers to a 44–22 record and an appearance in a Super Regional in his first season.

Things got even better in 2003, Laval's second season, as he led the team to a 45–22–1 record, a Southeastern Conference regular season championship, their first since 1997. He was named the 2003 SEC Coach of the Year. He also led the team to an appearance in the College World Series as the #2 national seed. LSU went 0–2 in the CWS and was eliminated.

2004 saw the Tigers compile a 46–19 record and included a return trip to the College World Series. Like the prior year, LSU again went 0–2 in the CWS and was eliminated. LSU fans were not used to going winless in Omaha, leading to questions about Laval's ability to maintain the program's elite status.

The 2005 Tigers struggled during the regular season but still managed to compile a 40–22 record. The team lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament and did not make an appearance in a Super Regional for the first time ever.(Super Regionals began in 1999).

In 2006, the Tigers finished the season with a record of 35–24 and its first losing SEC record in 24 years. They missed the NCAA tournament for the first time in 18 years. Under pressure, Laval officially resigned on June 4, 2006.

He has made the tourney in 2 of his first 4 years. So, 4 of the cards have been revealed. This is his 5th year. Only one card has not been turned over yet. But, IMHO, the cards we have been dealt are known as the dead man's hand. Yep. I'm out before the final card is played.

MAEu6.jpg

Reactions: coolcock2001
IMO, Ray and Chad will need to have a looooooong talk in the offseason.

I also think that Ray would be wise to quietly start a search for a potential replacement. Hire a search firm to put out "feelers". No commitments at present (and maybe not even for a year or two), but just stay on top of the situation.

Baseball is Ray's forte. Besides the Holbrook caper he should know everyone in the college ranks that can do the job. Break out Eddie Fogler to find a money savings coach. ( Sarcasm implied)

I'd call Holbrook in my office the day after the season was over and thank him.

I'd thank him for completely destroying an elite program in 5 years that had just come off of 2 titles and a runner up.

I'd thank him for making me look like a damned fool to the fanbase.

I hate to say it but if Tanner doesn't handle this Holbrook situation successfully his tenure as AD might be in jeopardy, especially if Muschamp doesn't look like a shining hire by the 2018 season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT