ADVERTISEMENT

Possible future coaching scenario...

lowcountry_cock13

Oct 12, 2017
So let’s say Muschamp gets the team off the ground, and we challenge the East and become competitive in 2-3 years in the SEC. Bama job comes open, would Muschamp be a top name if he turns us into a legit SEC threat. Also LSU fires Orgeron? What does Muschamp need to do here for his name to be seriously considered for the “Big Boys”.

So let’s say Muschamp gets the team off the ground, and we challenge the East and become competitive in 2-3 years in the SEC. Bama job comes open, would Muschamp be a top name if he turns us into a legit SEC threat. Also LSU fires Orgeron? What does Muschamp need to do here for his name to be seriously considered for the “Big Boys”.

No. Muschamp would have to win very big here to be a candidate at a big job. He coached at Florida. The coach before him won two National Titles. He had every resource he needed to win and he didn’t. It will take a long period of success to convince the top teams to hire Muschamp away. This is one of the reasons it made as sense to hire Muschamp. Easy to fire based on past failures. If he wins, he’s pretty secure.

I’d bet my left nut he’ll never be HC of LSU or Alabama...or any other SEC School for that matter. He’s the long term coach here or he’s a DC for life or coaching in the AAC.

Last edited:
I believe that Muschamp wants to win and build something here. There's something to be said for building it at a new school. History remembers pioneers.

I’ve been encouraged the past couple of weeks. Still have my doubts with this staff as I believe most fans do. But there is nobody I’d rather see succeed and be the man that takes this program to a level never seen. I think most fans hope for that as well.

I do believe Muschamp understand better than any coach we’ve had what it’ll take to elevate this program. I just wonder if he, and his staff, has what it takes to coach in the game long enough to survive. Pulling like hell for him.

It looks like our recruiting is starting to improve, but that still puts us a couple of years away from having a great season. Saban is already 66; he won't be at Bama long enough for Muschamp to have sustained success here by the time that job comes open.

I think the real question is will he still be here or a HC anywhere at the end of the 2020 season . He’s done some great things here but I doubt very seriously he will be a candidate for anything if he still keeps getting whipped by Kentucky and can’t stay within 3 TD’s of his Arch Rival . He’s got two more years to put up or shut up .

Nope

No. Muschamp would have to win very big here to be a candidate at a big job. He coached at Florida. The coach before him won two National Titles. He had every resource he needed to win and he didn’t. It will take a long period of success to convince the top teams to hire Muschamp away. This is one of the reasons it made as sense to hire Muschamp. Easy to fire based on past failures. If he wins, he’s pretty secure.

I’d bet my left nut he’ll never be HC of LSU or Alabama...or any other SEC School for that matter. He’s the long term coach here or he’s a DC for life or coaching in the AAC.
You may want to go back a read some stories about that "team" he inherited at UF. Meyer may have won two national championships, but he left a nightmare of behavioral issues on that team.

I believe that Muschamp wants to win and build something here. There's something to be said for building it at a new school. History remembers pioneers.
Agree....I think he'd stay. The only program I could see him leaving for is his alma mater, and that ship may have passed with this last hiring process.

You may want to go back a read some stories about that "team" he inherited at UF. Meyer may have won two national championships, but he left a nightmare of behavioral issues on that team.

No doubt. And Meyer’s last team was terrible offensively. I wasn’t speaking to what he inherited, more so that Florida was as good a job at the time as Alabama Or LSU. But still, Muschamp failed there.

Reactions: ddw1263
If Muschamp is successful with us, he is not going anywhere. We gave him his last chance as a head coach and I believe he would be loyal to us.
Wish this were true. That kind of loyalty is super rare. It's all about $$$ with a few other factors sprinkled in. Unless his wife absolutely loves Columbia, I do not expect him to stay if he finds sustained success. I like him, though. Hope he finds the W's and sticks around.

I’ve been encouraged the past couple of weeks. Still have my doubts with this staff as I believe most fans do. But there is nobody I’d rather see succeed and be the man that takes this program to a level never seen. I think most fans hope for that as well.

I do believe Muschamp understand better than any coach we’ve had what it’ll take to elevate this program. I just wonder if he, and his staff, has what it takes to coach in the game long enough to survive. Pulling like hell for him.

Which staff do you have questions about?

Here's my list:

TRob - still has not shown big time ability as a DC and managing the rest of his staff. Thompson may have been the problem there so it is possible that, with him gone, and the injury situation cleared up, that things come together more. I'm still waiting for a dominant defense.

Scott - perhaps the most questionable hire. But if LB and secondary improves the DL will be asked to do a little less. But he was not a splashy hire to replace Thompson.

Hutzler - LB play has underwhelmed the past 3 seasons. But with Peterson and Krantz assisting (OLB and SAM) and the returning talent they should be improved this year.

The offensive staff may be the best we've had, but BMac has to show he learned from his mistakes last season. Against Michigan the year before last he found a weakness in their defense and kept picking at it until it worked. I think he did the same against Clemson this year. But he fell flat against UVA and the second half of UF and Akron. I am hoping for more consistency out of the offense. (some of that may have had to do with Muschamp)

Which staff do you have questions about?

Here's my list:

TRob - still has not shown big time ability as a DC and managing the rest of his staff. Thompson may have been the problem there so it is possible that, with him gone, and the injury situation cleared up, that things come together more. I'm still waiting for a dominant defense.

Scott - perhaps the most questionable hire. But if LB and secondary improves the DL will be asked to do a little less. But he was not a splashy hire to replace Thompson.

Hutzler - LB play has underwhelmed the past 3 seasons. But with Peterson and Krantz assisting (OLB and SAM) and the returning talent they should be improved this year.

The offensive staff may be the best we've had, but BMac has to show he learned from his mistakes last season. Against Michigan the year before last he found a weakness in their defense and kept picking at it until it worked. I think he did the same against Clemson this year. But he fell flat against UVA and the second half of UF and Akron. I am hoping for more consistency out of the offense. (some of that may have had to do with Muschamp)

So far I worry about the entire staff as a whole. I believe Muschamp put this staff together solely to recruit. Which I think was wise. But we do have to coach them too. So far, I don’t feel like this staff as a whole has done a tremendous job there. Offensively we’ve improved but still not consistent and good enough.

Muschamp inherited a bad situation and it’s a difficult job. He’s made good decisions other than hiring Roper initially. But time will tell if this staff can get the results on the field. We’ll know after these next 2 seasons. Hope like hell he wins.

Reactions: OldWiseCock

If he doesn't make it here, why not just freakin' retire. He's got to have plenty of money to do that.

C'mon guys! Everyone in the sports universe has to understand that all true Bama fans are salivating for Nick to retire so their AD can hire super coach and teflon legend (to tigger fans, at least) Dabo Swinney, lol.

Reactions: redrogers
If we win SEC,COME CONTENDERS EVERY YEAR, WE WOULD ALSO BE THE BIG BOYS. Why would Muschamp want to leave Carolina for Alabama. My prediction is that Alabama has already seen their best years.

How about win ONE big game. Bama LMAO!!!!

Muschamp to Alabama as a HC?! What are you guys drinking/ smoking? He'll be fired after the 2019-2020 season. Nice guy, great recruiter, but not a winner
Muschamp will be fired after this coming season? I'll bet my annual salary that will not be the case....you game?

Reactions: 01fatboy
I don't ever see Muschamp getting one of the big jobs like Bama, OSU, or even UGA if it opened again. To get one of those jobs he would have to set the world on fire at USC. And let's be realistic, with two of the most elite programs in the nation in the backyard, and the rest of the powerful SEC on the schedule, I just don't see that happening. A couple of posters mentioned loyalty. There is no loyalty this day and time, unless one is in a place like Cutcliffe at Duke. But with some success, I could easily see Muschamp being able to market himself as one that stabilized and improved the program at USC and move on to a place, maybe in the ACC, that would seem to have a higher upside. And loyalty is a two way street. He might do a great job this year and easily go 7-5. But folks get tired of the middle of the road record and think that someone else could magically elevate the program. So there is little loyalty on that side of the coin either. That is why I could see him entertaining something from a situation like an NC State, Ga Tech, type situation.

You made the point that a lot of fans are unsure about. Does Muschamp and his staff have it in them to take this program to a high level? The jury is out. He has never really pulled off those signature wins that point to a high level of success. The fact that he tanked at UF is not a good sign.

If Spurrier was his OC then we might instantly compete.

To even ask this question? Have you watched Muschamp coach on game day? Are we in dreamland? The UVA loss leaves me even less confident. Thank you Ray.

Reactions: Heyward1
Muschamp gets a pass this year with the schedule. But yes, batgirl, we need to take care of UK. That game alone will define our perception of him going forward. The 5 peat is an anomaly.... it’s happened, and Muschamp has to get that monkey off his back. He will never be HC again until he beats them on a regular basis.
* he’s responsible for 3 losses

The hypothetical proposed is a complete trend reversal after 10+ years of overall subpar performance as a head coach? Doubtful any of those names would touch him (as a HC) unless he was able to win the SEC East at least twice within a relatively tight window. Currently, would opt to put my money on spotting unicorn before that.

hahahaha,the fact that some would prefer a name coach coaching worthless players versus champ coaching a soon to be very talented roster is asinine but that is what would end up happening...I don't care what anybody says, he aint no dummy and sooner rather than later he will know what to do with them, if he hasn't already...we will see in a couple of years or less but my money is on him being here with that talented roster...it would be stupid to think otherwise

Reactions: rogue cock
hahahaha,the fact that some would prefer a name coach coaching worthless players versus champ coaching a soon to be very talented roster is asinine but that is what would end up happening...I don't care what anybody says, he aint no dummy and sooner rather than later he will know what to do with them, if he hasn't already...we will see in a couple of years or less but my money is on him being here with that talented roster...it would be stupid to think otherwise
Obviously, I tend to agree with you. Hard to imagine someone who would work harder.

Muschamp cleaned house upon arrival at Florida though. And Choppers took Florida to the SEC Championship game in his first season with Muschamp's players.

Reactions: rogue cock
Wouldn’t that be proving it was the coach and not the players?

That's a possibility, I guess. If i recall correctly, Florida's offense was hit with a rash of injuries in Muschamp's final season which led to a collapse in the second half of the year. He did take Florida to a BCS Bowl in his 3rd season with an 11-1 regular season record. Peple tend to forget about that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT