ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Insider - Change in the coaches' booth?

W

Wes Mitchell

-- One interesting change this week is that South Carolina is currently planning to move quarterbacks coach G.A. Mangus to the coaches' booth and wide receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. to the sidelines. For almost his entire time here, Spurrier has had Spurrier Jr. as his "eyes in the sky" in the booth.

Clearly South Carolina has been doing all it can to spark both side of the ball this week and this appears to be another example of that. Mangus obviously recruited Lorenzo Nunez and is extremely familiar with his skillset and is also familiar with utilizing a running quarterback, so it makes sense to have him up there and possibly (speculation on my part) give him more say-so in the play calling.

-- True freshman offensive lineman Zack Bailey stepped in admirably when called into action due to Alan Knott's injury in Athens, and the way Bailey performed isn't much of a surprise to those who have been around him since arriving. Bailey has arrived with an excellent attitude both on the field and in the classroom and I'm told Bailey is the type guy who just shows up on time and gets the job done consistently. Bailey could excel at any of the interior line spots, so I firmly believe there's a role in some capacity for Bailey on this team even when Knott returns, which could come as early as next week.

-- Speaking of offensive linemen, I'm told that D.J. Park has gotten himself out of the proverbial dog house a bit after he didn't have the best of summers. With Bailey elevated to first-string center, Park has moved into the back-up left guard role that Bailey previously held.

-- Freshman wide receiver D.J. Neal had arguably his best week of practice this week. Neal should bring added athleticism and height to the receiving corps now that he's gotten more comfortable in the offense. He's also got a good rapport with Nunez as the two worked out together some in Georgia this spring. At this point, the plan is to redshirt freshmam receiver Jalen Christian unless there are more injuries at the position.

-- Freshman safety Antoine Wilder (knee) began running again last week and has now been cleared to return to practice on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News