ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Insider - September 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wes Mitchell

-- The biggest news from Wednesday evening's post-practice setting was that running back Brandon Wilds will be good to go against Missouri on Saturday, while offense guard Cody Waldrop wont be available for the second straight week, and Will Sport will get the start again in his place. I've continued to hear some positive things about D.J. Park at that guard spot too, and while Shawn Elliott mentioned both Park and Brock Stadnik as potential backups there with Waldrop out, I'd imagine Park could get a chance at some point of Sport struggles.

-- Elliott has a great deal of respect for Missouri's defensive linemen and the way that they get after the quarterback. There's been a lot of talent at that position over the last couple of years if you think back -- Sheldon Richardson, Michael Sam, Kony Ealy are all in the NFL now -- and those guys, among others, were relentless at getting after the passer. I doubt Missouri can replace that type of talent with guys just as talented, but Elliott mentioned this group the Tigers have is just as relentless. Finishing blocks is always a point of emphasis for an offensive line coach, but that will be a major key for the Carolina line this week -- Missouri's group hustles and plays about as hard as any out there.

-- On the back end of Missouri's defense, they're still primarily a zone team. They will mix in man coverage from time to time -- I don't know of any team that just sticks to one or the other every single play -- but they're built as a zone team. They're also very good at disguising what coverage they're in. I always thought Connor Shaw matched up well with Missouri's defense because he was always willing to take what the defense gave him. Look at Shaw's career against the Tigers. He was 20-of-21 passing in 2012 and of course led the Gamecocks back from the brink last year.

Think of how many of Shaw's completions were either underneath or on screen passes with the occasional intermediate-to-deeper passes at the right times in the holes of the zone. One of the keys to torching the zone defense is having plenty of time to throw. The longer the quarterback has to throw, the more the routes develop and the bigger the spaces within the zone get. Shaw, against Missouri, was really good at just taking what was there and either getting the ball out quick or buying some time with his feet.

We know Dylan Thompson likes the shot play, but this may be a game where he has to complete more short passes, particularly if the Mizzou d-line is effective. It's also potentially a good matchup for the screen game and for the tight ends to get involved.

-- Steve Spurrier Jr. said that you could see Damiere Byrd play a little bit more this week. Shaq Roland didn't have his best game against Vanderbilt, and those two are sort of fighting it out at the 'X' position. I heard that Pharoh Cooper actually missed Monday's practice -- you'll recall Steve Spurrier said in his presser that he asked Cooper if they were using him too much -- but Cooper was fine and right back out there practicing later in the week.

It's been fun to watch Cooper become more and more a part of what South Carolina does on offense. Obviously, they don't want to put too much on his plate, but good things happen when he gets the football. And also of note is that Cooper is one of the nicest guys you'll meet, always has a smile on his face, and seems to have the respect of all of his teammates and coaches. He's the type guy that deserves all the success he gets.

ALSO SEE: Wild's set to play Saturday from Avery Wilks

This post was edited on 9/25 7:46 AM by Brian Shoemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News