ADVERTISEMENT

Pray for Kentucky, where perhaps the worst US tornado ever

It's rough looking on the news this morning. The owners of those factories should be sued. Worried more about the money than the safety of people. People make fun of how we tend to shut things down for potential life threatening weather coming through, but it's better than what happened last night. Yes mother nature is rough, and we can't prevent everything, but with someone monitoring the weather better, lives could of been saved.
I was just in that area at the end of October. Good hard working Americans out there.

It's rough looking on the news this morning. The owners of those factories should be sued. Worried more about the money than the safety of people. People make fun of how we tend to shut things down for potential life threatening weather coming through, but it's better than what happened last night. Yes mother nature is rough, and we can't prevent everything, but with someone monitoring the weather better, lives could of been saved.
I was just in that area at the end of October. Good hard working Americans out there.
Every facility I have worked in has had a good safety program- during first shift. Second and third are on their own.

Sad. Multiple hits...looks like a major outbreak. F4-F5 type damage.

211211064913-kentucky-tornado-damage-vpx-exlarge-169.jpg

So what did the owner do wrong? Did people try to leave and he told them they would be fired or something?

Been at work many times with tornado warnings. The last thing you want to do is send people running out into their cars to get on the roads to go home. I assume there was some sort of safety protocol in place like most businesses have. If he told people to go home, and people got killed driving to or at their homes, someone would say the owner shouldn't have let the people go out in those conditions. This was an unfortunate happening from nature......doubt you can blame the business owner. But I'm sure in today's America, they'll find a way to blame a person.

The damage and width associated with it appears to be an strong F4/F5 type. A powerful tornado like that is usually only present in the midwest and Arkansas/Alabama in the spring and a rarity at that. To happen in Kentucky in December is mind boggling.
Well, I just moved from there. It’s actually not. We had tornadoes then snow the next day. That area is right where the jet stream comes through & warm air fights with cold air until deep winter finally sets in. It has just been warmer later this year.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Well, I just moved from there. It’s actually not. We had tornadoes then snow the next day. That area is right where the jet stream comes through & warm air fights with cold air until deep winter finally sets in. It has just been warmer later this year.
Yes F5 tornadoes are rare. Joplin, the 2 Oklahoma F5s Greenburg Kansas and Jarrell Texas come to mind. You may be from that area but catastrophic tornadoes that wipe ot towns is extremely rare on the Fujita scale of plus 4 to 5 is extremely rare especially in Kentucky. Actually if it is an F5 it would be the first confirmed F5 tornado in the history of Kentucky with records dating back to 1880 when they started keeping them.

It was clearly a bad tornado, perhaps 70 dead. I don't know why we have to say worst ever to compare to other tragedies. In 1936, Tupelo, Mississippi had 249 people killed by a single tornado. The tristate tornado of 1925 killed 747 people, 695 lives of that as one monster twister crosses Missouri, southern Illinois and into southwestern Indiana.

It was clearly a bad tornado, perhaps 70 dead. I don't know why we have to say worst ever to compare to other tragedies. In 1936, Tupelo, Mississippi had 249 people killed by a single tornado. The tristate tornado of 1925 killed 747 people, 695 lives of that as one monster twister crosses Missouri, southern Illinois and into southwestern Indiana.
There has been conjecture that its airspeed and path distance make it one of the strongest in history. Doesn't matter if it was the strongest, deadliest, whatever. It was awful.

There has been conjecture that its airspeed and path distance make it one of the strongest in history. Doesn't matter if it was the strongest, deadliest, whatever. It was awful.
I went by Jarrell Texas after its tornado in 1997. Where the tornado crossed Interstate 35, you could see where it sucked up pavement. The first few houses I saw were not just completely gone, it pulled some of the water pipes out of the ground that led to bathrooms and showers.

double-creek-damage-632px.jpg

Jarrell Texas in 1997

Have a close friend lives around Land Between the Lakes. Haven’t been able to get him to answer his phone. I’m worried

So what did the owner do wrong? Did people try to leave and he told them they would be fired or something?

Been at work many times with tornado warnings. The last thing you want to do is send people running out into their cars to get on the roads to go home. I assume there was some sort of safety protocol in place like most businesses have. If he told people to go home, and people got killed driving to or at their homes, someone would say the owner shouldn't have let the people go out in those conditions. This was an unfortunate happening from nature......doubt you can blame the business owner. But I'm sure in today's America, they'll find a way to blame a person.
We all knew the front was coming. They shouldn't of even been at the facility working. It wasn't a surprise, it didn't take place out of nowhere.

So every time a bad front comes through, they should shut down everything?
No, but it's not hard to monitor the situation now. And if you don't have proper shelter for employees, then yes shut down when the conditions are what they were. One place was Amazon, we can all wait just a little longer for our packages. Better precautions could of been made.

No, but it's not hard to monitor the situation now. And if you don't have proper shelter for employees, then yes shut down when the conditions are what they were. One place was Amazon, we can all wait just a little longer for our packages. Better precautions could of been made.
While that may sound reasonable to you, it is not practical to shut down every time there might be a tornado. Instead have your building with a safe tornado shelter.

Exactly, ludicrous to blame the factories for a natural disaster, no different than blaming President Bush for Katrina.

Exactly, ludicrous to blame the factories for a natural disaster, no different than blaming President Bush for Katrina.
I'm a contractor and I build schools in SC. We have some of the strongest built buildings in America because we have to build with Earthquakes and hurricanes in mind. A large portion of our schools are used as shelters. Tornadoes are common throughout a large portion of America. If you're going to run a business that doesn't stop operating when life threatening weather is coming through the area, you should at least provide adequate shelter. You can try to say whatever you want, but many people are dead because someone was more worried about turning a profit than protecting lives. Point blank.

This is a horrible event. The company I used to work for had tornado d4ills. The entire plant had designated shelter spots near stair wells etc.

the really surprising thing to me is that today our phones send screaming alerts out when a tornado is headed towards you. I realize some of the line workers prob didn’t have their phone on them. But out of 100 people in there I’d bet at least 30 did and at least half of then likely would have their settings to where they would get these types of alerts. You’d think they would have sounded the shelter alarms or run through telling people to take shelter. I just don’t get it. did it drop so fast there? But usually these alerts go off on radar rotation before the funnel ever drops.

👍👍

I'm a contractor and I build schools in SC. We have some of the strongest built buildings in America because we have to build with Earthquakes and hurricanes in mind. A large portion of our schools are used as shelters. Tornadoes are common throughout a large portion of America. If you're going to run a business that doesn't stop operating when life threatening weather is coming through the area, you should at least provide adequate shelter. You can try to say whatever you want, but many people are dead because someone was more worried about turning a profit than protecting lives. Point blank.
It sounds like you are advocating for a change in building codes, which may be exactly what is needed, rather than blaming a particular building owner just because his building happened to be the one destroyed. It's my understanding this tornado hit the candle factory at 9pm. Mayfield has a Walmart, a Lowes, and many other big-box stores with construction that is probably similar to the Amazon warehouse and the candle factory. Did all of these facilities close down tight with a knowledge that a tornado was on the way?

There will be plenty of time to figure out who knew what and when and if there was any negligence that might have led to these deaths, but there's no way to know that at this point. Calling for the factory owners to be sued at this point seems like a knee-jerk reaction before we know even a smidgen of the details about this event.

Yes F5 tornadoes are rare. Joplin, the 2 Oklahoma F5s Greenburg Kansas and Jarrell Texas come to mind. You may be from that area but catastrophic tornadoes that wipe ot towns is extremely rare on the Fujita scale of plus 4 to 5 is extremely rare especially in Kentucky. Actually if it is an F5 it would be the first confirmed F5 tornado in the history of Kentucky with records dating back to 1880 when they started keeping them.
No. Tornados in KY in December are not rare. I never said anything about the F scale.

So every time a bad front comes through, they should shut down everything?

Born in raised in what we refer to as tornado ally on the east coast. My mother in law had her car flipped by one in Spartanburg many years ago. At 60 years old, I have never seen a forecast predicting when and where a tornado will hit. The conditions might be right for one, and they have a tornado watch out, but a warning only comes after one is spotted. For someone like the other poster to suggest they knew this tornado with this force and this width was going to hit that spot is just spinning a narrative. I guess he/she can spin it however they want. This is my last post on this as everything these days on FGF turns into a debate or argument.

Let's just send our prayers to those effected and leave it at that.

The damage and width associated with it appears to be an strong F4/F5 type. A powerful tornado like that is usually only present in the midwest and Arkansas/Alabama in the spring and a rarity at that. To happen in Kentucky in December is mind boggling.
Any time it is forecasted to go from 80 to 30 degrees overnight you know something wicked is coming through.
Do you recommend cancelling entire shifts when a line of thunderstorms is forecasted? If so, that would be ridiculous. Just as ridiculous to send employees out of a facility to seek shelter elsewhere when a Tornado is imminent.

Reactions: kawalski
Any time it is forecasted to go from 80 to 30 degrees overnight you know something wicked is coming through.

Do you recommend cancelling entire shifts when a line of thunderstorms is forecasted? If so, that would be ridiculous. Just as ridiculous to send employees out of a facility to seek shelter elsewhere when a Tornado is imminent.
Yeah if tornados are an issue in an area, requiring businesses to have tornado shelters for employees would be the answer. Not stopping production every time there is bad weather.

Reactions: TAV31
Born in raised in what we refer to as tornado ally on the east coast. My mother in law had her car flipped by one in Spartanburg many years ago. At 60 years old, I have never seen a forecast predicting when and where a tornado will hit. The conditions might be right for one, and they have a tornado watch out, but a warning only comes after one is spotted. For someone like the other poster to suggest they knew this tornado with this force and this width was going to hit that spot is just spinning a narrative. I guess he/she can spin it however they want. This is my last post on this as everything these days on FGF turns into a debate or argument.

Let's just send our prayers to those effected and leave it at that.
With all due respect we, meaning those of us in Kentucky at the time, had tons of warning on this. It was literally all that was talked about Thursday and Friday. They literally put that area in the red xxx area for 70% chance of tornadoes.

Now did they know the exact area before it began?..no...but they were tracking this thing and it was going in a straight line. You could literally draw it out and they did on the news. My phone went crazy all night with alarms. It was a long night.

Oh and it was like 72 at 7 AM. By 4pm it was in the 30s. I honestly felt like I was back in Oklahoma.

Was a long Friday night/early Sat morning for my wife and I. Her daughter and her husband/family live in E-Town. Thankfully, they were spared any damage, but they were scared out of their minds. Son-in-law has 2 friends that live in Bremen (one that I've met a couple times while visiting them) that lost almost everything. They went down yesterday with 2 SUV's and a trailer loaded with food, clothing, blankets, pillows, etc. to try to help. They helped several families dig through what was left. Her daughter sent some pictures she took, truly devastating.

Those folks need as many prayers as we as Gamecocks (and the Tigers that post here) can send their way. In times like this, there aren't any Wildcats/Cardinals or Gamecocks/Tigers, just human beings that are hurting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT