ADVERTISEMENT

Prevent defense and 3 man rush

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
Was hoping someone else would start this topic...But our 3 man rush soft zone prevent defense has twice nearly caused us to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...There is no excuse for what almost happened vs NCst and Ut at the end...You drop 8 and rush 3..Yet they hit a wr wide freaking open for 40 yds in the middle of the field...That just can't happen...The explanation is a safety made a mistake and left the middle of the field..Why wasn't he told not to?? Why not rush 4 play quarters with 3 underneath? That way if 1 safety bites on sucka bait another is close enough to make the play on a long throw..Also if you rush 4 a sack ends the game...UT Tackles were slow and lumbering...I don't think they could handle a 4 man rush near the end

I do not have a link handy, but there was a statistical study done on NCAA football prevent defenses that showed that the team with the lead lost about 73% of the time. I hate the prevent, the only thing it prevents is victory. It is an alignment intended to absolutely prevent a score on the last play of a game. I do not know how many games Lou Holtz lost here by trying to sit on a two score lead using a 3 man rush for a full quarter, sometimes a whole second half!

Reactions: pettyw
I really thought the prevent defense was going to get us beat. Glad they changed up before my TV took any damage. But like clockwork, the coaches will say the BIG gains came on a broken coverage or two and that they'll only need to get that ironed out before going to it again.

I really thought the prevent defense was going to get us beat. Glad they changed up before my TV took any damage. But like clockwork, the coaches will say the BIG gains came on a broken coverage or two and that they'll only need to get that ironed out before going to it again.

Yep. It must work great practice, but I have rarely seen it work out for us in real games, except for the RARE times it was used properly on a last play. Even a mediocre SEC QB will find somebody open if they have 6 plus seconds undisturbed in the pocket.

Reactions: bucketdad
Prevent is fine on last play or in the UT situation WITH A TWO SCORE ADVANTAGE.
With a one score lead, you just can’t give up two big plays w 1:00 to go

Champ often seems to want to fix what is not broken. See aTm.
Just keep playing D. He had 61 passing yards in :59. Why change?

I thought our bend don’t break with DB standing 12 yards off the line was already “preven” for big plays enough.

Our 3 man rush has worked well for us all season. Go back and look at the NC State game. Our 3 man rush killed the Wolfpack. And not just late in the game. Don't get confused and assume a 3 man rush means we are in prevent defense.

Was hoping someone else would start this topic...But our 3 man rush soft zone prevent defense has twice nearly caused us to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...There is no excuse for what almost happened vs NCst and Ut at the end...You drop 8 and rush 3..Yet they hit a wr wide freaking open for 40 yds in the middle of the field...That just can't happen...The oke, don't fix itexplanation is a safety made a mistake and left the middle of the field..Why wasn't he told not to?? Why not rush 4 play quarters with 3 underneath? That way if 1 safety bites on sucka bait another is close enough to make the play on a long throw..Also if you rush 4 a sack ends the game...UT Tackles were slow and lumbering...I don't think they could handle a 4 man rush near the end

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ~ joe moe

yes understand yer concern, but will leave it 2 the folks who get paid 2 make such decisions....bring it up w/ coach on his call n show

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT