ADVERTISEMENT

Question for anti beam guys. What coach did you want?

section907

Sep 16, 2000
What coach out there did you want to land ? We now know Napier wasn’t going anywhere. Caldwell may have moved but that’s a maybe.

be realistic -

I am not sure who I wanted honestly. I really wasn't that impressed with Napier...he was the bubble screen guy at Clemson and his offense at Louisiana hasn't been phenomenal. I don't think Chadwell was ever really in contention, but he seems to be doing well with the other guy's players. Time will tell if he's a great coach or inherited a great program. Beamer loves USC, and that definitely means something, but it doesn't gaurantee success. I am not impressed with the suspected hires he has made. I also still believe Lincoln Riley should have sent him on as soon as he accepted the position. There was honestly no reason for a TE coach to stay there for a meaningless game. I think this has put him behind the 8 ball on hiring good assistant coaches.

That being said, I hope he does well and perhaps he is going to create a staff with great chemistry that outperforms expectations.

Also, I can't think of any coach who was available

I am not sure who I wanted honestly. I really wasn't that impressed with Napier...he was the bubble screen guy at Clemson and his offense at Louisiana hasn't been phenomenal. I don't think Chadwell was ever really in contention, but he seems to be doing well with the other guy's players. Time will tell if he's a great coach or inherited a great program. Beamer loves USC, and that definitely means something, but it doesn't gaurantee success. I am not impressed with the suspected hires he has made. I also still believe Lincoln Riley should have sent him on as soon as he accepted the position. There was honestly no reason for a TE coach to stay there for a meaningless game. I think this has put him behind the 8 ball on hiring good assistant coaches.

That being said, I hope he does well and perhaps he is going to create a staff with great chemistry that outperforms expectations.

You are correct. We fired a coach with $15 million left on his contract with no one in line to take his place. And I agree once he took the job he should have come to Columbia. Looks like Bobo may have been the best coach because he is getting this team together. Still a lot of former coaches on staff and the Georgia gene pool is dominating---which is not all bad. We hired Shane because, outside of Muschamp, he was the only one that wanted the job---it appears. Chris Rumph may have taken it and turned out good. Four years ago we had a lot of good coaches that wanted to come. But with the way Muschamp was fired during a Covid year by the BOT I'm not sure
many coaches wanted to stake their claim in Columbia. Shane may turn out to be the right choice. At least he wants the job and as long as he keeps Bobo around he can make up for the lack of "head anything" experience.

Anti beam? I prefer high beams. Pictures not included on purpose.

What coach out there did you want to land ? We now know Napier wasn’t going anywhere. Caldwell may have moved but that’s a maybe.

be realistic -
Chadwell and his entire staff! There would at least be some excitement by the fans for hiring a proven winner with an innovative offense. Instead, it’s amateur hour all over again, thanks to our lazy, overmatched AD. The only positive may be that Ray will be forced to “retire” after the first of the year. That should have happened before we hired a football coach!

1. Andy Reid
2. Myer
3. Saban
4. Belichick

USC doesn't care about winning.
ShinyFlatBadger-small.gif

YGTBSM... Really? That is a mystery to you?
YGBSM....

Reactions: german cock
A young proven successful head coach. And offering serious money makes this job much more attractive to an up and comer.

• Love
Reactions: DeBoer31
I disagree entirely with the OP's premise. We could've landed Napier or Chadwell with relative ease if we wanted them. A savvy AD that didn't need his hand held by the president and members of the BOT and that also knew how not to get played by Jimmy Sexton (again) probably could've made a risky hire like Freeze. A REALLY good one could've gotten Fickell or maybe a Matt Campbell.

I would've taken any of them over Beamer. For obvious reasons.

YGTBSM... Really? That is a mystery to you?
I'm not clear on what you're asking here? I have to be s-ing you about what exactly? Nowhere did I mention a mystery. Were you replying to me or someone else? I may not have been clear on something and I could clarify it for you.

I think Bryan Harsin would have been a good hire for us. Maybe Chadwell would have been a good hire too.

The fact that he wanted to be here because he loves SC and this University does mean something.

Coach Beamer needs to make a splash hire for DC.

Reactions: cockyferg
Honestly I have no problem with Beamer compared to Napier or Chadwell . None of these guy are home run hires so it’s rolling the dice . I will take a ton of flack for this but I think we missed our home run hire last year with Kiffin . We should have canned Muschamp ate the buyout and hired Lane . We know Lane is a cocky , arrogant , slimy , win at all cost guy . He’s also an offensive genius , elite recruiter , and would have energized a stagnant fan base . Is Lane a scumbag ?? A lot of people said they same about Spurrier . I think 5 years down the road we will be kicking ourselves for passing on Lane . Feel free to bash away but the guy would have won here . Would he have bolted for a bigger job ?? Probably , but the program would be in better shape when he left . I will say a lot of Ole Miss buddy’s hated the hire last year and now they are all about the Lane Train . He’s not a good guy but he’s a hell of a football coach . I’m ok with that at this point .

Reactions: DeBoer31
I'm not clear on what you're asking here? I have to be s-ing you about what exactly? Nowhere did I mention a mystery. Were you replying to me or someone else? I may not have been clear on something and I could clarify it for you.
The non-Beamer coaching preferences have dominated this board for weeks. It seems to me the question does not need to be asked again (and again... and again... and...)

I disagree entirely with the OP's premise. We could've landed Napier or Chadwell with relative ease if we wanted them. A savvy AD that didn't need his hand held by the president and members of the BOT and that also knew how not to get played by Jimmy Sexton (again) probably could've made a risky hire like Freeze. A REALLY good one could've gotten Fickell or maybe a Matt Campbell.

I would've taken any of them over Beamer. For obvious reasons.
This is the truth. There are these misinformation attempts constantly made to justify what is most likely a bad hire/gamble hire. USc has the money and a lot of intangibles to make a great hire. Ineffectiveness and stupidity are the only reasons you can’t make Napier work. He wanted an sec salary and budget in order to give this university a chance to win in the sec...and he was denied. So we get what we get- a cheap coach for 5-6 wins per year....and those who drink with their pinky up don’t mind it all apparently.
He wasn’t the only proven , great potential coach interested in the job...but I like him more and more as I watch him not jumping at HC jobs that set him and the program up for failure due to various reasons.

This is the truth. There are these misinformation attempts constantly made to justify what is most likely a bad hire/gamble hire. USc has the money and a lot of intangibles to make a great hire. Ineffectiveness and stupidity are the only reasons you can’t make Napier work. He wanted an sec salary and budget in order to give this university a chance to win in the sec...and he was denied. So we get what we get- a cheap coach for 5-6 wins per year....and those who drink with their pinky up don’t mind it all apparently.
He wasn’t the only proven , great potential coach interested in the job...but I like him more and more as I watch him not jumping at HC jobs that set him and the program up for failure due to various reasons.
Where do you get your info on Napier?

In the category of existing head coaches who were potentially available, Matt Campbell was the best candidate followed by Harsin. From accounts we couldn't even get Campbell to return calls. I don't think Harsin was even considered more than as a passing suggestion.

So that left us with untested as a head coach assistants and small school head coaches. In that category, I see Shane Beamer as roughly equal to guys like Napier. Sure, being a head coach is an advantage, but honestly, is it that much of an advantage?

Other than the guy at Florida and Sarkisian, I don't know of any big name coordinators who were on our list. Apparently Sark wasn't interested and the Florida OC must not have impressed Tanner.

This isn't putting lipstick on a pig. Weighing the merits of each case the fact that Shane Beamer really wanted to be here had to be deciding factor.

be realistic -
I'm not an anti-Beamer guy, but I have openly admitted before and since the hire that I was really hoping for Chadwell. But there's no reason to cry or whine because the candidate I liked the most wasn't hired. I'm fully on board with Beamer at this point and will do my part, however small, to help him, his assistants, and the team succeed.

Last edited:
This is incredibly cringe. He coached here for like 4 years. The idea that he “loves” the university is absurd.
There is definitely a difference, but when people fall in love with each other, it often happens in much less time than 4 years. All I'm saying is that you're dismissing the idea that he might be genuinely very fond of the university and city, but I think there's a high likelihood he's being honest..

There is definitely a difference, but when people fall in love with each other, it often happens in much less time than 4 years. All I'm saying is that you're dismissing the idea that he might be genuinely very fond of the university and city, but I think there's a high likelihood he's being honest..

I'm sure he enjoyed his time here. But the idea of love is being used too cheaply.

We love the university. Shane probably loves VA Tech the way we love USC.

This is incredibly cringe. He coached here for like 4 years. The idea that he “loves” the university is absurd.
He was born in Charleston and his dad coached at the Citadel. He left the USC staff under Spurrier to join his dad's staff at V Tech. After that, he had no opportunity to return to USC until now.

Money will make a person love a lot of things...

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Chadwell or Napier, was never a Freeze fan. I think either could have been hired with sufficient money on the table. It was obvious we were hiring on the cheap, so I guess if you look at it from that perspective, Beamer was the best we could do. I hope he works out.

I think Bryan Harsin would have been a good hire for us. Maybe Chadwell would have been a good hire too.

The fact that he wanted to be here because he loves SC and this University does mean something.

Coach Beamer needs to make a splash hire for DC.
He needs to make a splash hire for DC because he didn’t for OC.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
He needs to make a splash hire for DC because he didn’t for OC.
I agree. And surprisingly, defense is where we have the most problems. The offense needs WRs and better blocking but the defense needs a complete overhaul. We have some linemen (Pickens, Burch, et al) but the secondary and linebackers have been decimated. No real pass rusher.

I would like to have Pat Fitzgerald. He can win games without an offense. in the last three seasons, Northwestern has been to the Big 10 championship game twice. Coach Beamer is the coach at South Carolina and I will support him just as any coach at South Carolina, but my preferred choice would be Fitzgerald.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I would like to have Pat Fitzgerald. He can win games without an offense. in the last three seasons, Northwestern has been to the Big 10 championship game twice.
Before him Northwestern was about like SC. (or maybe more like Wake Forest and Vanderbilt) He was born in Illinois and graduated from NW. He will never leave that school.

Here's the interesting part. He was coaching the LBs and was the RC for NW before he was promoted to HC. (After Randy Walker died)

So maybe we've found our Pat Fitzgerald.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
He wanted an sec salary and budget in order to give this university a chance to win in the sec...and he was denied.

You have a link for that? Seems a bit odd, because RT has expressed on many occasions we’re willing to pay what’s needed to win.

I look at Napier differently now. Last year, he “supposedly” turned down either Ole Miss or Miss State. Now, it’s entirely possible they turned him down, his people just changed the story to make him look better.

This year he’s been turned down twice, by us and Auburn.

Eventually, you have to come to the realization that maybe he’s just not interviewing well.

In the category of existing head coaches who were potentially available, Matt Campbell was the best candidate followed by Harsin. From accounts we couldn't even get Campbell to return calls. I don't think Harsin was even considered more than as a passing suggestion.

So that left us with untested as a head coach assistants and small school head coaches. In that category, I see Shane Beamer as roughly equal to guys like Napier. Sure, being a head coach is an advantage, but honestly, is it that much of an advantage?

Other than the guy at Florida and Sarkisian, I don't know of any big name coordinators who were on our list. Apparently Sark wasn't interested and the Florida OC must not have impressed Tanner.

This isn't putting lipstick on a pig. Weighing the merits of each case the fact that Shane Beamer really wanted to be here had to be deciding factor.

This is hilarious. I didn't see Harsin's name mentioned anywhere before he was hired by Auburn. Now the name keeps popping up in all of these arguments. It's comical.

And if Chadwell and Napier were such home runs, wouldn't Auburn have hired them? All the anti-Beamer crowd was saying how we'd see a big boy coaching search, and were actually pumping Kevin Steele, lmao. No one had a clue!!

Reactions: 803blf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT