ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Hulu users

Six Million Dollar Man

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Irmo
Those of us using YouTube just lost all the ESPN channels. For you all using Hulu, please tell me what packages you get as a sports fan. Seems to be DVR options, ad options, etc. And for those of you who used to be on YouTube and switched to Hulu, please tell us the advantages or what you like better about Hulu. TIA

Have used HUlu for a while. We added the disney/espn package which helps with getting espn+ stuff. We have on our hulu espn/espn2/espnU/espnews. Also have acc/sec/big10 netwokrs on it although I never watch big 10 network. I truly cant remember if it came with all that or we picked a specific package but disney/espn+ is pretty worth it.

Well 🤬. Just took the week off to relax and enjoy family and friends for the holidays. Part of that is watching sports. This just flat out sucks. The only reason I have YouTube tv is for the sports content. Without it, there is no point. I've paused my membership with hopes that a deal is made. In the meantime, I'll be subscribing to either Hulu or Sling tv...

Those of us using YouTube just lost all the ESPN channels. For you all using Hulu, please tell me what packages you get as a sports fan. Seems to be DVR options, ad options, etc. And for those of you who used to be on YouTube and switched to Hulu, please tell us the advantages or what you like better about Hulu. TIA
I'm trying to figure this out too. Think I'm going to "suspend" the youtubetv and try Hulu. Need something with the best sports package.

Worked in this industry for years (25+)
Can’t stand giving spectrum a nickel but until there’s a fiber option I expense our internet bill to work. We left Directv for Hulu almost 3 years ago. None of them are great or have exactly everything but particularly in sports & more so Gamecock baseball & basketball Hulu has won our $, we are $50 less than our best directv rate ever was, with Starz & the Baby Yoda network & we can stream at the tailgate.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Well 🤬. Just took the week off to relax and enjoy family and friends for the holidays. Part of that is watching sports. This just flat out sucks. The only reason I have YouTube tv is for the sports content. Without it, there is no point. I've paused my membership with hopes that a deal is made. In the meantime, I'll be subscribing to either Hulu or Sling tv...
Every article I’ve read say there is zero chance YouTube allows this to get into the real bowl season. YouTube has been the one streamer that has done a good job of keeping channels available. Most are shocked it even got to this point. I’m all for doing a free 7-day trial, but don’t be surprised if YouTubeTV has these channels back by the. The question will be at what cost moving forward?

I'm trying to figure this out too. Think I'm going to "suspend" the youtubetv and try Hulu. Need something with the best sports package.
DirecTv streaming has the best sports package…but you have to get the ultimate and it’s about $100 month.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I don’t miss TV bills over $100 😎
Me neither. That’s why I’m not doing it. The one thing I’ll say about that package is it gets all of the Ballys networks which I think has been the worst part of all streaming is when Fox sold these networks. Personally, I can get by as I have ESPN+ so can stream ESPN through that until it’s worked out with YouTube.

Google will get it worked out with Disney. In the meantime they are reducing the cost of YouTubetv by 15 bucks a month. You can get Disney bundle for 14 bucks and it includes espn+and Hulu with ads. The Disney Bundle includes subscriptions to Disney+, ESPN+, and the Hulu plan you select for a discounted price, as compared to the retail price of each subscription when purchased separately. The Disney Bundle is available with Hulu (Ad-supported) for $13.99/mo*

DirecTv streaming has the best sports package…but you have to get the ultimate and it’s about $100 month.
I was very satisfied with Youtubetv. Lots of college football. I can watch from about anywhere. Plug in the TV while working in the garage...plug in outside at our fire pit. No cables, no cable boxes.

Well, I stumbled on fubo first. So, 7 day free trial should get me through, or be a good trial for if Ytv screws around.
I think you will like it. I've been using Fubo for a while with no problems and it has all the sports channels.

I've been with Hulu live for a couple years now. It's fine.

It saves me probably around 60 or $80 a month depending upon what kind of package I might have with cable. Just taking into account that the cable company jacked up the price of internet since that's all I wanted from them. I call them and haggle about once a year to get the best deal I can.

I don't pay extra for ad free or anything like that. The DVR works pretty well. I like that I have the Hulu app on my phone so I can pretty much watch my TV plan wherever I am.

I've found Hulu seems to have less issues working through a Chromecast or my new Google TV dongle than it did with a fire TV stick.

I'm kind of thankful I no longer have cable for the simple reason that sometimes the act of actually choosing something to watch which streaming sort of forces you to do convinces me there are things I'd rather be doing than watching TV. That's a good thing.

I switched from Dish a year and a half ago after 11 years and have not missed Dish. I get all the sports I need in the Hulu Live package. I have no sports add-ons, just some premium movie channels.

I would do the Disney bundle over Hulu live but that’s just me. I guess the first fits my families needs better

This is Disney’s way of driving people to the Hulu/Disney bundle. Plus, Google owns YouTube tv so both parties have plenty of money. This is simply another greed move by two greedy companies.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Google will get it worked out with Disney. In the meantime they are reducing the cost of YouTubetv by 15 bucks a month. You can get Disney bundle for 14 bucks and it includes espn+and Hulu with ads. The Disney Bundle includes subscriptions to Disney+, ESPN+, and the Hulu plan you select for a discounted price, as compared to the retail price of each subscription when purchased separately. The Disney Bundle is available with Hulu (Ad-supported) for $13.99/mo*
ESPN+ doesn’t provide regular ESPN programming

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Hulu Live by itself with no add-ons comes with quite a bit. Local FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS. You also get BIG TEN, ESPN w/the U, 2 and News. FS1, FS2, GOLF CHANNEL, OLYMPIC CHANNEL, NBC AND CBS SPORTS NET. SEC and ACC NETWORKS, TNT, TBS and USA NETWORKS. They also add alternative channels from time to time if a lot of sports are going on.
Not bad for a starting package. I have an entertainment add-on that adds no additional sports but I do have Disney+ mainly so I can get sports on more screens in the mancave than Hulu would allow using the ESPN app. Plus Disney+ is the best way to get pretty much all Gamecock Baseball.

Last edited:
Hulu + live TV doesn't have Fox Regional (now Bally's) sports channels, MLB Network or NFL Network. As of this month Disney bundle is part of the basic package. So that handles ESPN+. It does have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews, ACC, SEC, FS1, FS2 & Big10. I get the local network channels in Greenville. I like it.

Ha, sounds like I chose poorly by choosing fubo first. Oh well, it's a free week offer, and then I'll do Hulu for a free week. Sounds like Hulu is the ultimate destination if the espn mess doesn't get fixed at yttv.

Here's the thing y'all...they'll work out a deal shortly. Streaming services can't survive without Disney. They need Disney, and Disney knows it. Google won't remain stupid for long. The cost of YouTubeTV will go up, but most times those increases when streaming services add channels, it's nominal.

I had HuluLive for a while. I got tired of the constant buffering and shutting down completely for no reason. Haven't had issues with YouTube TV. I have access to logins for the ESPN app to watch ESPN, SEC Network, etc., so I'm not worried about changing services.

Reactions: Cocky704
Honestly, I'm staying away from Hulu because I feel like this a move by Disney to own the market. Hulu will become a Disney monopoly if they can drive people away from other platforms by bullying them into outrageous prices at the expense of losing Disney content.

I loved YouTube TV for the DVR capabilities and the sports channels. No other steaming service compares.

I've used Sling in the past and loved it, they have a promotion right now for $10 for the first month of the package that I would want (has the essential sports networks). After that, it'll be $30/month. I think I'll eat the costs and get it soon if YouTube and Disney don't break a deal by the time the women's basketball team plays Stanford.

Ha, sounds like I chose poorly by choosing fubo first. Oh well, it's a free week offer, and then I'll do Hulu for a free week. Sounds like Hulu is the ultimate destination if the espn mess doesn't get fixed at yttv.
Hey, I'm doing Hulu the first week then Fubo the 2nd week. Hope YTTV and Disney resolve this though in the final analysis this may be a huge power grab by Disney to convert users to Hulu.

Fubo has all those channels and more sports like soccer and big 10 and 12 networks. So you will like it. Hulu for me was a lot of buffering and that could have been just me.

I like Dish still but only gripe is not being able to buy NFL Sunday Ticket because it’s only offered through DirectTV and I can’t get Bally Sports to watch Hockey Games. Dish has a Dish Anywhere app that works like YouTube TV and Hulu Live and SlingTV that connects to your Dish DVR. It’s pretty cool because I can watch it anywhere like YTTV but my internet couldn’t hold 2 or more YouTube TV’s live at the same time with Fire Sticks. If I wanted tv in my house I had to stay with Dish. I have pretty decent quality Spectrum internet with very good routers too. I would have used one of them but it wouldn’t work for me. Maybe I need to try Cromecasts or Google TV dongles like someone said that it has less issues on them instead of Fire Sticks.

Reactions: myrtlecock
I like Dish still but only gripe is not being able to buy NFL Sunday Ticket because it’s only offered through DirectTV and I can’t get Bally Sports to watch Hockey Games. Dish has a Dish Anywhere app that works like YouTube TV and Hulu Live and SlingTV that connects to your Dish DVR. It’s pretty cool because I can watch it anywhere like YTTV but my internet couldn’t hold 2 or more YouTube TV’s live at the same time with Fire Sticks. If I wanted tv in my house I had to stay with Dish. I have pretty decent quality Spectrum internet with very good routers too. I would have used one of them but it wouldn’t work for me. Maybe I need to try Cromecasts or Google TV dongles like someone said that it has less issues on them instead of Fire Sticks.
If you are getting anything over 20mbps then you should be able to stream at 2 locations at the same time with no problem. I use to average about 20mbps without any issues. Now a larger company bought out my local company and we are up to 200mbps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT