ADVERTISEMENT

Question for longtime Gamecocks

Enough!! Stop It!! It’s Georgia this week!!!! I don’t care if we are down to 11 men. I don’t care if we lost all our games up to this point. It’s Georgia!!! I don’t care if they come in No. 1 in the universe. I want to beat them all day every day any day anytime anywhere. I ain’t scared and neither are my boys!! Bring on the dawgs and line em up!!!! To hell with Georgia!!

And clempson. Always.

Have you ever seen our fan base have so little enthusiasm for a Jawja game? I just can't recall anything like this. It's like we all know we're non competative.

Even though they easily command the series, our games with them have generally been competitive enough and we have won just enough, particulalry in recent years, to make it feel like a winnable game. Even when we couldn't break through against UT/UF in the SEC, we managed to beat UGA here and there. In the years we didn't win, it was rarely a rout. Even going into last year, most of us were optimistic about our odds. But UGA has rarely been as good as they are right now. They were always pretty good, but now they are arguably the best team in the nation. Even though they've pretty much always been better than us, I think most of us realize the disparity has never been greater than it is right now.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Even though they've pretty much always been better than us, I think most of us realize the disparity has never been greater than it is right now.

As is the disparity between them and 95% of the rest of the country.

Yall truly thought that Spurrier and a brief once in a lifetime crop of instate NFL talent including the #1 pick in the draft were going to supercede 100+ years of our lot in life.

There is no shame in being South Carolina; as noted, 95% of the rest of the country is right here with us. Celebrate the wins, shake off the losses.

Reactions: SCexpat38
As is the disparity between them and 95% of the rest of the country.

Yall truly thought that Spurrier and a brief once in a lifetime crop of instate NFL talent including the #1 pick in the draft were going to supercede 100+ years of our lot in life.

There is no shame in being South Carolina; as noted, 95% of the rest of the country is right here with us. Celebrate the wins, shake off the losses.

Bullish...there is zero reason why we can’t win on the same level as Clemson or uga. We have a larger alumni base and more $ than Clemson all while being in the same geographical footprint. Piss poor leadership has been our issue forever and still is, along with a fanbase that excuses everything and tolerates anything. There is no reason we can’t win on the highest level. From 1992-2010 Clemson didn’t even win an acc title. They did watch titans like Boston college and wake do it though. It’s time to expect better.

Last year uga was good enough to toy with us in the second half. And there's a good possibility uga is better than they were last year. Not a lot of reason to believe we are. Looking forward to the game tho. Can't beat a ranked team if we don't play a ranked team.

I really thought we were capable of winning 8 games this year,

A serious question. Not criticizing, not teasing or stirring the pot, not poking fun.
This is something I truly do not understand and unfortunately, the Sunshine Pumpers never explain their thought process, they only attack that we're not supporting the team and the season isn't over yet and we will upset Clemson, Jawja, Fla and A&M and Rah, Rah, Rah!

Whatever gave you the idea that we were capable of winning 8 games, this year???

Look ... being right does not mean you that you are pleased with the results but, something gave you a ray of hope. What was it?

Reactions: Carolina Choo Choo
Have you ever seen our fan base have so little enthusiasm for a Jawja game? I just can't recall anything like this. It's like we all know we're non competative.
You hit the nail on the head.

Bullish...there is zero reason why we can’t win on the same level as Clemson or uga. We have a larger alumni base and more $ than Clemson all while being in the same geographical footprint. Piss poor leadership has been our issue forever and still is, along with a fanbase that excuses everything and tolerates anything. There is no reason we can’t win on the highest level. From 1992-2010 Clemson didn’t even win an acc title. They did watch titans like Boston college and wake do it though. It’s time to expect better.

I was gonna say what you said, but you nailed it. I will say it’s almost comical how even the Muschampers were done after Mizzou, but back for UK. It’d be downright hilarious except for that it ultimately means Moose will be here for another 2 years at least. Also, about UK? If's and but’s and all, but IF Benny Snell was back there running the wildcat, we’d have lost. We aren’t improving. We beat a terrible, injured QB.

For us old timers, in the 60s and 70s (until 78 and 79) we never had a chance against UGa. Then when Big George Rogers came along we beat them in 78 and 79 for the first time since the 50s. But I can remember when we had zero hope of beating them.
Should have beaten them in '80 also, even with Herschel going for over 230-plus yards. The fumble down deep followed by the roughing the punter penalty not only ended the game, they essentially ended the hopes for a really good season. We were fortunate not to lose to the Citadel the next week, led by Stump Mitchell. A win in that Georgia game could have meant Carlen getting the corner turned.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
I will watch, hoping for the best. But I can only get "excited" for a game when I have a reasonable expectation we might pull off the upset. In 3.5 years under Muschamp, I have yet to see us pull off a major upset, so my reasonable expectations have diminished considerably. I'm hoping I see something in the Georgia game that gives me hope we can pull off one or more upsets over the remainder of this season.

Reactions: howard13
Lucky you. I miss that feeling of anticipation and excitement!
I feel sorry for people who approach life from a negative perspective.

I don't care who we're playing. I love the whole college football vibe. Love having friends over to watch the game, or tailgating and watching the game live, eating good food, drinking good drink and the conversations around the day. College football season is filled with great Saturdays like this. A win is always great. But, win or lose it's always a blast.

I feel sorry for people who approach life from a negative perspective...
Life is multi-faceted. Being down on the current football situation doesn't condemn a person to be lugubrious about any or all other aspects of his/her life. I'm very much looking forward to this Saturday for reasons that have nothing to do with football.

We struggled to put the game away against Kentucky. I believe the game will be close until the 3rd quarter. We need Jawga to turn the ball over on numerous occasions to have a chance.

Reactions: cockyferg
We struggled to put the game away against Kentucky. I believe the game will be close until the 3rd quarter. We need Jawga to turn the ball over on numerous occasions to have a chance.

The two things I do questions about this team is the inconsistency with offensive play calling and overall team conditioning. Both contributed to our inability to pull away from Kentucky.

I plan to be in front of the tv at noon on Saturday. I don't care what everybody is doing.

Life is multi-faceted. Being down on the current football situation doesn't condemn a person to be lugubrious about any or all other aspects of his/her life. I'm very much looking forward to this Saturday for reasons that have nothing to do with football.
Let me simplify this rationale for all of you negative nancy's.

Haters gonna hate.

Used to be a great game....always close.
I think the overall feeling is that many know/believe we're "stuck" with a coach for a little while longer due to financial obligations that even losses will not affect. Hate it, but we are back to where USC has been most of it's football career. Few good years every now and then (like when we play for a conference title or when we beat OSU in the Outback Bowl), but mainly the red-headed stepchild of the SEC (Vandy is smarter than us so they don't count) Even Mizoo has more history than we do for crying out loud.

Reactions: lostcock
Lol. When's the last time South Carolina won a conference title?

You suggest success can be bought; if that were the case, Texas would be Alabama.

You suggest footprint yields success; if that were the case, Penn State would be consistently dominant.

The scheme for success lies in what lengths a university is willing to go to to both establish and maintain that success; the ones who took and were willing to take those steps did so loooong ago, and our bretheren to the northwest irrespective of your attempted example are one.

By your logic, there is no reason ANYONE can't "win on the highest level." Yet, like us, the great majority don't.

I get excited about every Gamecock football game! Games are won and lost on the field and not by fans bit**ing on a forum. I always believe there is a chance. Just like when we beat Bama in 2010. Would I bet my house on it? No! Do I wish some things were different? Yes! Mostly, I wish we would all get behind our Gamecocks! You don’t have to be a fan of Champ to root for our team. In fact, I would argue that you are not a true fan if you don’t show out every game cheering our team on! #Forever to thee!! If you don’t agree with that, you are a bandwagon fan and I would say that Gamecock Nation doesn’t need you.

A serious question. Not criticizing, not teasing or stirring the pot, not poking fun.
This is something I truly do not understand and unfortunately, the Sunshine Pumpers never explain their thought process, they only attack that we're not supporting the team and the season isn't over yet and we will upset Clemson, Jawja, Fla and A&M and Rah, Rah, Rah!

Whatever gave you the idea that we were capable of winning 8 games, this year???

Look ... being right does not mean you that you are pleased with the results but, something gave you a ray of hope. What was it?

Far from a sunshine pumper but I do have expectations for a program that consistently recruits in the top twenty, has many resources, and a good fan base. I also have never attacked anyone for their expectations high, low, or somewhere in between. This year I felt that a four year starter at QB, plenty of weapons on offense, and respectable depth on defense that we were capable of winning around 8 games even with the tough schedule. Best I got.

Far from a sunshine pumper but I do have expectations for a program that consistently recruits in the top twenty, has many resources, and a good fan base. I also have never attacked anyone for their expectations high, low, or somewhere in between. This year I felt that a four year starter at QB, plenty of weapons on offense, and respectable depth on defense that we were capable of winning around 8 games even with the tough schedule. Best I got.

Thank you, for your sincere and courteous response. Please accept that I was never attacking and I sincerely appreciate your sharing your insights with me. Sometimes, by asking a question 'the hard way' you get people to think more about their answer rather than defending their position.

We all have different angles from which we view the situation. Different time requirements, different biases, even different motives. But, thanks again, for helping me better understand where some folks are coming from.

Wouldn't that belief that we could win 8 this season rely on the assumption that both Florida and Tennessee would not be improved over last season? Too many factors had to turn out favorable for us for even a 6 win season in my mind. Anyway I'll be watching at least the first half :)

If we were playing at home I would be excited. And that's only because of the Tailgating. We got stuck at 12:00 so that means the rest of my day will be ruined. After we get thumped I won't care about watching any other games. Can't go out to eat Saturday night listen to taters brag. Worst game day of the year. We'll play a quarter with them once the pregame speech wears off. The Talent factor will show up. We get blowed out 35-9.

Wouldn't that belief that we could win 8 this season rely on the assumption that both Florida and Tennessee would not be improved over last season? Too many factors had to turn out favorable for us for even a 6 win season in my mind. Anyway I'll be watching at least the first half :)

Yes I did hope that those two were possible wins this year. Still could happen but not very likely from what we have seen so far. If Ryan can get back to throwing the ball like he did against Alabama we have a punchers chance to get some wins. Let’s all hope for the best.

Used to be a great game....always close.
I think the overall feeling is that many know/believe we're "stuck" with a coach for a little while longer due to financial obligations.....zzzzzz....

You use “overall feeling” to mean “message board fans who worship Sports Center.”

SC vs Ga:
18-51-2 overall
9-18 since we joined the SEC

Spurrier was 5-6
(Spurrier won 28% of those 18)

For the “hire the up and comer” boys, that’s STEVE SPURRIER; hall of fame coach and it could be legitimately argued the greatest coach in college football history.

without Spurrier we are 13-45-2
without Spurrier we are 4-12 in SEC matchups

Obviously one of the reasons it's been a long time is that you've had some good teams and the games have mostly been a struggle for us, at least since I've been following football (eighties on), but another is that we have almost always played early since you joined the SEC and neither team knew for sure what they had. Example: 2002-2004
Two of those games were extremely close, but if we had played each other middle to late in the season, the spreads would've been larger. UGA ended up being better or close to what they were predicted and SC ended up worse. And it's likely with UGA playing very well by then and SC having some disappointment, more fans wouldn't have been as pumped about the game.

You use “overall feeling” to mean “message board fans who worship Sports Center.”

SC vs Ga:
18-51-2 overall
9-18 since we joined the SEC

Spurrier was 5-6
(Spurrier won 28% of those 18)

For the “hire the up and comer” boys, that’s STEVE SPURRIER; hall of fame coach and it could be legitimately argued the greatest coach in college football history.

without Spurrier we are 13-45-2
without Spurrier we are 4-12 in SEC matchups

Perhaps take a look at our coaches, big game will, brad Scott, sparkly etc.

If they were at all worried about us, this thread would be laced with Dawg fans. The silence speaks volumes of how much we threaten other fanbases....

The lack of enthusiasm is because we realize once again that it'll be another mediocre season....something we're all used to as Carolina fans.

Lol. When's the last time South Carolina won a conference title?

You suggest success can be bought; if that were the case, Texas would be Alabama.

You suggest footprint yields success; if that were the case, Penn State would be consistently dominant.

The scheme for success lies in what lengths a university is willing to go to to both establish and maintain that success; the ones who took and were willing to take those steps did so loooong ago, and our bretheren to the northwest irrespective of your attempted example are one.

By your logic, there is no reason ANYONE can't "win on the highest level." Yet, like us, the great majority don't.

Therein is the conundrum. We have never committed to it. Alumni and fanbase has never demanded it. We have paid for having a incompetent admin. Clemson has fewer resources than we do yet they seem to be excelling. Make it a priority. We never have. By the way, Penn State has been dominant in the past as has Texas Poor leadership can overshadow any other advantage. Like i said, It’s time to expect better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT