ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the board - If South Carolina goes 10-2 for the next 2 regular seasons?

DiamondDave22

Oct 13, 2015
Only losing to Georgia and Clemson ... would you take that?

Again only regular season ending 10-2 (not conceding to loses but ending up here)
Trying to keep it as simple as possible folks

Last edited:
I didn't know we get to choose...
I loved going 11-2 three straight years. I hated not winning the division or the league those three years. All at the same time.
At 10-1 heading into the Clemson games we would have a shot at the playoff in this scenario. Tough to take with UPC knocking us out.The bright side is our teams would be very good and top ten worthy. Oh well.

No. Our schedule next year looks easier than this year. As long as Florida and Tenn doesn’t take a significant jump, A and M stays about the same and we have no N.C. State next year. If we don’t go 10-2 it won’t be an improvement too much from this year.

No. Our schedule next year looks easier than this year. As long as Florida and Tenn doesn’t take a significant jump, A and M stays about the same and we have no N.C. State next year. If we don’t go 10-2 it won’t be an improvement too much from this year.
I am talking USC beats everyone except UGA and CU... USC beats Kentyucky and beats Ta&m as well as everybody else... only losing to UGA and Clemson.
10-2 is 2 games improvement from 8-4 of this years team.

Reactions: bucky25
As much as it pains me to say it....yes!
Face it people this season was one of the best in our history (sad fact). I know the taters hated losing to us 5 in a row but they only lost 2 games during those years and it helped propel them to where they are now.
It would only help us in the long run winning 10 games, vs 7 or 8 and beating ga or cu.
That said just win them all and we have nothing to complain about.

I am talking USC beats everyone except UGA and CU... USC beats Kentyucky and beats Ta&m as well as everybody else... only losing to UGA and Clemson.
10-2 is 2 games improvement from 8-4 of this years team.
That would be an improvement. But in 2019 if we lose to UGA and Clemson again nobody will be happy. Especially losing to Clemson at WillyB again

I'm never ever ever going to going to say something like that, even with all the issues we had on offense this year, we had posters here defending Roper and using our record to support their position.

Things surely have changed. First off sports fans do not want to concede anything before the season . So who wants to say now that a 10-2 record is acceptable. When the season is played out and your team has made a good showing in all games and you feel that the results are the result of good coaching and players commitments then yes it is acceptable. Then you immediately say that it will not be acceptable the following year. You must never find a record that is less than perfect iacceptable before the season starts.

Reactions: dixie_cock
I would never say I'd be "happy" with that....if that is what ended up happening and we pulled an SEC East out of it somehow one of those years then maybe we'd be happy with it if you add in bowl wins, conference championship, etc.

Also, we play Bama in 2019....so your scenario would mean we'd beat them. I know you probably looking that in depth but they are on the schedule

10-2 seems to be a slam dunk on here by many. I'm not buying it. Every year most on this board seem to take Kentucky for granted satisfied that USC is the better program. Then we manage to lose. A&M will be better. UF can't help but be better offensively. UT will be better for no other reason than Butch is gone. And that game was barely won. USC is getting better, and 10-2 is possible if all goes perfect. But it rarely does.

Reactions: rogue cock
source.gif

I would never say I'd be "happy" with that....if that is what ended up happening and we pulled an SEC East out of it somehow one of those years then maybe we'd be happy with it if you add in bowl wins, conference championship, etc.

Also, we play Bama in 2019....so your scenario would mean we'd beat them. I know you probably looking that in depth but they are on the schedule

not adding bowl wins or sec champ wins... was just talking regular season ...
If we ended up with 10-2 regular season and our two loses would be Georgia and Clemson ... keeping it as simple and plain as possible...
(so yes, including a win against bama in 2019 ... )

if we go 10-2 in 2018 regular season AND 10-2 in 2019 regular season ....

10-2 with losses to Clemson and UGA would give us a 7-1 conference record (this has never happened) and would more than likely be good enough to get into the SEC Championship Game (UGA must do us a favor and loose two conference games), with the potential to earn our first outright SEC Championship.

I would be happy with that outcome, especially in light of the fact that it would only be the school's fifth 10+ win season in 121 years. The bitterness of a fifth straight loss to Clemson would hurt though.

Expections are AGAIN through the roof it seems. UT, A&M and UF all have equal or better personnel so, those games will be very competitive going forward. I can not imagine a conference schedule that would be as easy as it was this year.

The offense can only be better and I expect the defense to be as well, but to turn down 10 wins is laughable

For 2 years, viewed as part of the process? Of course I'd take 10-2. Actually, 10-2 while losing to Clemson for 3 or 4 years would greatly enhance the profile of the program.
I picture it like this: during a 4-year run, we finish 10-2 every year, losing to Clemson and Georgia. That sort of consistency draws more regional and national attention. Plus, there's a good chance that in at least 1 of those years, 7-1 will win the East. (Yeah, I know that means Georgia loses to 2 other opponents, but it will likely happen in this scenario). So we also find ourselves playing in the SEC championship game a time or two, with a possibility of winning a title there. We aren't part of the playoff picture, we we could find ourselves in a non-playoff bowl like Peach, Cotton, etc., further raising our profile, which means that during this run, recruiting could really take off.
At some point, between our improved recruiting and what is sure to be Clemson's resting on their laurels (almost no coach or staff stay at the top forever), we'd catch and pass them.
You know...this scenario seems very familiar...I'll ask my Clemson friends how they think it would turn out.

not adding bowl wins or sec champ wins... was just talking regular season ...
If we ended up with 10-2 regular season and our two loses would be Georgia and Clemson ... keeping it as simple and plain as possible...
(so yes, including a win against bama in 2019 ... )

if we go 10-2 in 2018 regular season AND 10-2 in 2019 regular season ....
Agree....IF our recruiting ranking for those 2 years are in the 5-15 range. That would be building the program....and would be a lot better off than what Muschamp was left.

Reactions: DiamondDave22
I don't know why this question reminds me of 1984. At the time, that loss to Navy broke my heart. But at the end of the day, that was still a great season. So would I take 10-2, even with losses to Clemson and UGA? Yeah.

Besides, what's the other option? 2-10 with wins over Georgia and Clemson?

Reactions: DiamondDave22
If 10-2 turns into a conderence title, then it wii be a lot easier to swallow that nasty ol orange pill and nasty red medicne. However, if a 10-2 season fails tp deliver a conference title, that season doesnt mean much than just another loss to our rivals

Only losing to Georgia and Clemson ... would you take that?

Again only regular season ending 10-2 (not conceding to loses but ending up here)
Trying to keep it as simple as possible folks
yep, yep...we do that for awhile and keep recruiting well, the we will have a special season...only dreamers and Alabama expect to be in the NC game every year....compete yes, got to be competitive year in and year out before you can start having championship teams....

If we go 10-2 and get humiliated by UGA and Clemson, that will mean that we only won 10 games because of a crappy schedule. 7-1 in the SEC East ain't what it used to be.

I would never volunteer to lose to Clemson 2 more years in a row. How about we go 10-2 in the first year and lose to Clemson at Clemson but win the SEC? The next year, we better beat those bastards in Columbia, even if it's the only game we win.

Reactions: Goldhunter
For 2 years, viewed as part of the process? Of course I'd take 10-2. Actually, 10-2 while losing to Clemson for 3 or 4 years would greatly enhance the profile of the program.
I picture it like this: during a 4-year run, we finish 10-2 every year, losing to Clemson and Georgia. That sort of consistency draws more regional and national attention. Plus, there's a good chance that in at least 1 of those years, 7-1 will win the East. (Yeah, I know that means Georgia loses to 2 other opponents, but it will likely happen in this scenario). So we also find ourselves playing in the SEC championship game a time or two, with a possibility of winning a title there. We aren't part of the playoff picture, we we could find ourselves in a non-playoff bowl like Peach, Cotton, etc., further raising our profile, which means that during this run, recruiting could really take off.
At some point, between our improved recruiting and what is sure to be Clemson's resting on their laurels (almost no coach or staff stay at the top forever), we'd catch and pass them.
You know...this scenario seems very familiar...I'll ask my Clemson friends how they think it would turn out.
So you would be fine losing 8 straight to the taters?

I would be happy with that next season (2018), but not for the following season (2019). All of our Freshmen/Sophomore contributors will be experienced upperclassmen by 2019 so our expectations should be set higher.
I second this answer. By the time we play Clemson at home in 2019 we need to defend our home turf. And I don't want to rule out beating UGA next year at home. Won't be easy but they do lose a lot this year - unfortunately they are bringing in back to back top 5 recruiting classes. When Saban retires, I wish Bama could hire Dabo and Smart as co-head coaches...

10-2 with losses to UGA and Clemson is a Big Improvement, and may be enough to get USC in SEC championship.... SO YES!! but after these last two years, against these two HATED rivals, I guess i would take go 2-10 with wins against Taters and Humpers..

Man Clemson is in some of you guys heads! I would take 10-2 in a minute for the next 2 yrs. Losing to a top 10 team is no disgrace. But losing to the Citadel is. You can definitely build off 10 win seasons. Then you may can have that magical year where all the stars align. And once you win a NC all the big time recruits start looking at you differently.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Man Clemson is in some of you guys heads! I would take 10-2 in a minute for the next 2 yrs. Losing to a top 10 team is no disgrace. But losing to the Citadel is. You can definitely build off 10 win seasons. Then you may can have that magical year where all the stars align. And once you win a NC all the big time recruits start looking at you differently.
OH I too, want the COCKS to win them all.... and would enjoy a 10-2 season, But I would rather be 2-10 and beat taters than 7 wins and a mediocre bowl, losing to taters again and again and again.. .. Just how much I hate the taters..

Of course record of 10 and two would be fantastic. However I think it is more than a two-year job to get us to be competitive with Clemson. It would be tantamount to LSU beating Alabama right now

Absolutely! 1000% Yes. I've been a life long fan. I'd gladly trade wins over Jawga and ClemTech for back to back 10 wins, including victories over UT, UF, and Kentucky. Sign me up. Sorry, if you think I'm selling out, but I don't know how many years I have left.

So you would be fine losing 8 straight to the taters?
Of course it would be painful losing 8 straight. But I'd gladly take those losses if it meant we would elevate ourselves to a new plane at the end of it.

I'll go back to my Clemson comparison. How many Clemson fans would have volunteered to see their team drop 5 straight to us? None. But I bet right now, those 5 straight losses are so far back in the rear view mirror that they don't even think about them. Why? Because during the 5 straight, they got to the ACC Championship game a few times, won it, got to a major bowl a few times, won some, recruited really well because of their raised profile (which was because of 10 and 11 win seasons, conference championships, Orange Bowl visits, etc.

Once the smoke of 5 straight cleared, they had a loaded team, a recruiting pipeline, and the infrastructure in place to be where they've been the last 3 years. Yeah, I'd take that.

OH I too, want the COCKS to win them all.... and would enjoy a 10-2 season, But I would rather be 2-10 and beat taters than 7 wins and a mediocre bowl, losing to taters again and again and again.. .. Just how much I hate the taters..
Wow! I would rather win 7 or 8 . But I don't let them bother me like I used to.

Reactions: cockofdawn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT