ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the board - If South Carolina goes 10-2 for the next 2 regular seasons?

Wow! I would rather win 7 or 8 . But I don't let them bother me like I used to.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Gradstudent
I didn't know we get to choose...
I loved going 11-2 three straight years. I hated not winning the division or the league those three years. All at the same time.
At 10-1 heading into the Clemson games we would have a shot at the playoff in this scenario. Tough to take with UPC knocking us out.The bright side is our teams would be very good and top ten worthy. Oh well.
Our 11 win seasons bring to mind a certain quote by Macbeth.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Only losing to Georgia and Clemson ... would you take that?

Again only regular season ending 10-2 (not conceding to loses but ending up here)
Trying to keep it as simple as possible folks
No, especially not while the SEC East is arguably the worst division in FBS. My answer might be different if the East were better; 10-2 would carry much more weight were that the case.

Again only regular season ending 10-2 (not conceding to loses but ending up here)

It's never acceptable to lose to the orange kittens. Don't take my word for it. It was written in the original USC by-laws, rule 175.5:

"The University must never accept negative results from competition with inferior institutions within the state."

First thing the Gamecock fans need to shed is their fear of losing every year to UGA and Clemson. We'll probably beat UGA in Columbia next season as they lose something like 30 + players from their roster and we should just about close the gap on Swinney and his supermen. Muschamp is rapidly building a program that will compete with anyone on our schedule.

Of course it would be painful losing 8 straight. But I'd gladly take those losses if it meant we would elevate ourselves to a new plane at the end of it.

I'll go back to my Clemson comparison. How many Clemson fans would have volunteered to see their team drop 5 straight to us? None. But I bet right now, those 5 straight losses are so far back in the rear view mirror that they don't even think about them. Why? Because during the 5 straight, they got to the ACC Championship game a few times, won it, got to a major bowl a few times, won some, recruited really well because of their raised profile (which was because of 10 and 11 win seasons, conference championships, Orange Bowl visits, etc.

Once the smoke of 5 straight cleared, they had a loaded team, a recruiting pipeline, and the infrastructure in place to be where they've been the last 3 years. Yeah, I'd take that.
Common sense doesn’t go over well most places

I take whatever we get Because the Gamecocks are my team, but I wouldn't be happy. I was happy when we were beating, Georgia, Clemson, Alabama and the rest. I wasn't happy when we lost one or two we shouldn't have.

I would be happy with that next season (2018), but not for the following season (2019). All of our Freshmen/Sophomore contributors will be experienced upperclassmen by 2019 so our expectations should be set higher.
So will everybody else's. We don't play in a vacuum.

Reactions: rogue cock
Once the smoke of 5 straight cleared, they had a loaded team, a recruiting pipeline, and the infrastructure in place to be where they've been the last 3 years. Yeah, I'd take that.

Does anybody else think that the 5-straight was directly related to their rise to the top? I remember thinking at the time, that when the rivalry turned again, it was going to be bad. You could just see the desperation in them and knew that they would lie, cheat, ad steal to get the rivalry back.

I also think it's funny that during the 5 beat downs their defense was "But these are the best Gamecock teams in the history of their program...." I guess we could say the same about them right now.

Give us a potent offense that averages 35 points per game and beating Clemson/UGA is not an impossible mountain to climb. Seriously, a good OC would make all the difference in the world for us.

First thing the Gamecock fans need to shed is their fear of losing every year to UGA and Clemson. We'll probably beat UGA in Columbia next season as they lose something like 30 + players from their roster and we should just about close the gap on Swinney and his supermen. Muschamp is rapidly building a program that will compete with anyone on our schedule.

Where is this number 31 that keeps turning up, UGA has 17 sr on scholarship, 12 that contribute, and a set of 4 of them aren't starters. We played more frosh than sr this year with 3 starting o O.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT