ADVERTISEMENT

Rangers v. Capitals was epic tonight---I love a good hockey fight

Lots of bad blood from Wilson punking the Rangers Monday. Epic line fights tonight. I can't wait for playoff hockey, nothing like it.

Me too. I just wonder how long they will allow fighting to exist before it becomes non acceptable in society. Hopefully I’m just being pessimistic.

Will a hockey fan please enlighten me? Why is fighting in hockey even allowed? Don't get me wrong. I am not against it but are there rules against it? Are there time limits on how long a fight can last or how many players can participate? And why do the officials not make any effort to break them up? Could it be that hockey is so boring that the fights are needed to keep the fans entertained? I have always wondered about this aspect of hockey but it has never been clearly explained to me. Anyone???

Reactions: TAV31
Will a hockey fan please enlighten me? Why is fighting in hockey even allowed? Don't get me wrong. I am not against it but are there rules against it? Are there time limits on how long a fight can last or how many players can participate? And why do the officials not make any effort to break them up? Could it be that hockey is so boring that the fights are needed to keep the fans entertained? I have always wondered about this aspect of hockey but it has never been clearly explained to me. Anyone???

I'm not much of a hockey fan, but I believe they allow fighting as a way of allowing players to police themselves. If I'm not mistaken, anyone who fights automatically gets a 5-minute sit in the penalty box, but additional penalties can be levied if the ref deems it necessary. Maybe someone else can enlighten me, but from what I've seen, refs have pretty wide latitude. I've seen some fight stopped almost immediately, some are allowed to go on for a good while. It seems the refs just know the flow and feel of a game and let the players fight as long they think they need to diffuse tensions. It's one of the weirder, but cooler, aspects of sports.

Reactions: uscedge21
Reminds me of the great fights between Avalanche and Red Wings in the 90’s. You could see Claude Lemieux and the red wing player talking before the puck dropped and then BAM.

The fights started at the initial face off, 3 separate fights. It was crazy

The Rangers were called punks all day Tuesday on WFAN & other NY media outlets. They have no enforcers, a soft team. So they came out last night with a point to prove. Dolan was so upset about Monday’s beat down by the Caps, he cleaned house at the Exec level.

I'm not much of a hockey fan, but I believe they allow fighting as a way of allowing players to police themselves. If I'm not mistaken, anyone who fights automatically gets a 5-minute sit in the penalty box, but additional penalties can be levied if the ref deems it necessary. Maybe someone else can enlighten me, but from what I've seen, refs have pretty wide latitude. I've seen some fight stopped almost immediately, some are allowed to go on for a good while. It seems the refs just know the flow and feel of a game and let the players fight as long they think they need to diffuse tensions. It's one of the weirder, but cooler, aspects of sports.
They allow fighting for one reason and one reason only. Fans love it and it = $$'s. There is no fighting in international hockey.

Reactions: uscedge21 and TAV31
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT