ADVERTISEMENT

Read it and weep, or, just get mad!

He was in the right place at the right time. Football school in a conference that had been dominated for years by FSU and was ripe for the taking. Able to recruit like upper echelon SEC schools. Had time to learn someone else's offense and pay a DC more than he could make anywhere else. In a hotbed for recruiting playmakers on both sides of the ball and had a great strategy including buying players by buying their coaches and family members. Ultimately, copied USC when he realized that defense was going to be necessary to win. Avoided major injuries.

Like everyone in the history of college football, his time will pass.

Although I will add that I project college football is a bubble bursting, much like the overpriced universities that live off it.

That’s actually very smart to redshirt on the lines to “work” with the S&C coach for a full year. They are not playing so they are probably not tested and you can juice them up big time without any risk. I’m actually kind of surprised they mentioned the S&C program in light of what went down with the failed tests.

The press can bring you up and take you down real quick. Failed to mention the opponents they face, the ostarine deal and many law breakers that were swept under the table.

He was in the right place at the right time. Football school in a conference that had been dominated for years by FSU and was ripe for the taking. Able to recruit like upper echelon SEC schools. Had time to learn someone else's offense and pay a DC more than he could make anywhere else. In a hotbed for recruiting playmakers on both sides of the ball and had a great strategy including buying players by buying their coaches and family members. Ultimately, copied USC when he realized that defense was going to be necessary to win. Avoided major injuries.

Although I will add that I project college football is a bubble bursting, much like the overpriced universities that live off it.

Well. We will all pass......

Reactions: king ward

tenor.gif

That’s actually very smart to redshirt on the lines to “work” with the S&C coach for a full year. They are not playing so they are probably not tested and you can juice them up big time without any risk. I’m actually kind of surprised they mentioned the S&C program in light of what went down with the failed tests.
Ding, Ding Ding...........That’s the key part.

I've said this before and will keep saying it again...

Dabo is not a coach, he is a manager... He manage coaches; makes the right hire and fires coaches without waiting too long to see results...

Kevin Steele was fired on the sidelines after giving up 70 points to West Virginia...

In some ways, I like how Dabo takes action right away... He doesn't wait for the problem to fester...

It's almost like trading stocks, you get rid of a and stock, you don't wait for "hope it goes back up..."

It's not that hard to figure out ... In college football, more great to good players beat more average to good players, Clemson has more of the former than every team other than Alabama most years ... This year Clemson had more than any team
yes every once in a while they'll be an upset at the upper echelon of teams, but rare .. 55-4 for Clemson and Alabama in the last 4 years

Last edited:
That was interesting read actually.
I agree. Read some of the guy’s other articles as well and bookmarked.

So the way to beat Bama is to attack them on the perimeter. Lawrence gets a pre-snap read with a 1-on-1, he throws without hesitation - which works cause he’s accurate and Swinney has athletic wideouts. Guess that’s pretty much what we did with Alshon against them.

On D, taters did a better job with motion and disguising coverages. Guy did a good job breaking down Tua’s picks. Then bend but don’t break with run game, play tough on 3rd down and when backed up in RZ. Which we certainly didn’t have the personnel for in ‘18, maybe this year?

Reactions: Triton20x
You know, I remember during Spurrier's "hi-five" run many of my rabid Clemson friends, relatives and co-workers loudly calling for Batson's head on a platter because the tigger linemen were too weak in the trenches and being constantly pushed around, according to them. Since ol' Joey's been there 30+ years as S&C coach, I guess he must've attended some really good strength clinics and read up on some really good books in the last five years or so, huh?

Dabo is not a coach, he is a manager... He manage coaches; makes the right hire and fires coaches without waiting too long to see results...

Kevin Steele was fired on the sidelines after giving up 70 points to West Virginia...

In some ways, I like how Dabo takes action right away... He doesn't wait for the problem to fester...

It's almost like trading stocks, you get rid of a and stock, you don't wait for "hope it goes back up..."

Well whatever he is, and it pains me to say it, but he's pretty damn good at it.

Well whatever he is, and it pains me to say it, but he's pretty damn good at it.

Dabo at times, reminds me of Bobby Cox...

Not too many programs have tried this method and maybe it's time to follow the lead...

You don't have be a great player or coach to know how to bring players in and have the right assistant coaches who can stay in their lane and coach...

Hell! Dabo was a walk-on at Alabama and was there when they won the National Championship...

I've believed that for a long time.

Well. We will all pass......

Not Dabo. He's got Mojo. When he kicks it they'll stuff and mount him and put lights on him and trot him out on special occasions. They might even put wheels on him, roll him down the hill and bump him into Howard's Rock.

Hell, for all I know they've cloned him. Dabo might even be a clone of some past Dabo. He could be Dabo 2.0. They might've bumped off the first Dabo after his lost to Spurrier that last time.

There could be 400 Dabos in that weird place in the Upstate surrounded by fences and security cameras -- all in testtubes in various degrees of gestation to ensure Clemson never loses the ACC or to us again.

Reactions: Nicktiger00
Meh. No secret what be did. Tall, strong wideouts, elite QBs, one really good RB and stout DL. The secondary, OL, and LBs are good but not great. They will miss Hyatt.

Plus a stable staff. We have none of that yet but we had plenty of notice what was coming as far back as Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins. Nothing changed but better players.

So you think Dabo would have succeeded anywhere? Here? Big Ten? UVA? Texas? Please expound Dorian Gray.

I have known for decades that clemson would win again. Right coach right time right rules. No way he succeeds in the 80s or 90s....social media is his godsend...he is a hell of a salesman and delegator. Clemson perfect place for him....cult, resources, fanbase, tradition forged by cheating, etc...perfect time for a redneck charismatic personality in the upstate, at a University where its graduates and fans actually believe that they are better or worse dependent upon how their football team performs. Not sure what you disagree with.

If you are implying that he is a coaching genius...or a masterful playcaller...I would have to question your observational skills.

But anyways...

Reactions: USC2018
So you think Dabo would have succeeded anywhere? Here? Big Ten? UVA? Texas? Please expound Dorian Gray.

I have known for decades that clemson would win again. Right coach right time right rules. No way he succeeds in the 80s or 90s....social media is his godsend...he is a hell of a salesman and delegator. Clemson perfect place for him....cult, resources, fanbase, tradition forged by cheating, etc...perfect time for a redneck charismatic personality in the upstate, at a University where its graduates and fans actually believe that they are better or worse dependent upon how their football team performs. Not sure what you disagree with.

If you are implying that he is a coaching genius...or a masterful playcaller...I would have to question your observational skills.

But anyways...
Look at my post again...the segment that I bolded gets the JL gif.

The BOT don't care as long as it's running in black. They are ok with a nice year that was evident last year after Tanner's ticket hike and letter to the Alumni. I stopped going to the games because of this mentality of doing just enough. I decided to donate to the school directly after Spurriors final year and so far haven't missed going to the games that much. My blood pressure has gone down significantly because I didn't pay be dissapointed.

Reactions: cockgun

Love the "Dabo is not a coach" narrative. Hopefully, UofSC keeps hiring "coaches."

Spend the time to associate on your own message board. I really don't think we need your tater expertise here.
It's all entertainment, I find value and entertainment on many boards. My apologies for offending your delicate sensibilities by expressing my opinion.

After leading Clemson to two of the last three championships, its entertaining to me that anyone should say Coach Swinney is "not a coach."

You know, I remember during Spurrier's "hi-five" run many of my rabid Clemson friends, relatives and co-workers loudly calling for Batson's head on a platter because the tigger linemen were too weak in the trenches and being constantly pushed around, according to them. Since ol' Joey's been there 30+ years as S&C coach, I guess he must've attended some really good strength clinics and read up on some really good books in the last five years or so, huh?
For one thing, he bought several ShredMills in 2015. Now a lot of teams have them but in 2015, only Clemson and the LA Rams had them.
My point is not that ShreadMill made the difference but being willing to try and invest in new equipment and techniques. Most people said Batson was unwilling to change for many years but gradually started making changes under Swinney.

It's all entertainment, I find value and entertainment on many boards. My apologies for offending your delicate sensibilities by expressing my opinion.

After leading Clemson to two of the last three championships, its entertaining to me that anyone should say Coach Swinney is "not a coach."
He certainly is a coach BUT, he is not your play caller offensively or defensivley. Thats why you have the second highest paid staff in college football.

He certainly is a coach BUT, he is not your play caller offensively or defensivley. Thats why you have the second highest paid staff in college football.
Just curious, because I do not know, does Muschamp call the defensive plays at UofSC? Maybe it's a recent trend, but most schools have coordinators that handle play calling these days.

Reactions: Zann77
I think that really changed when Dabo hired Chad Morris. He was very determined to make the offensive line more conditioned to be to run HUNH offense, he wanted them more physical, and he wanted guys with quick feet. I think those requests opened the eyes of Dabo making him realize the OL is more that big bodies sitting in holes.

You are very correct though, many people were screaming for Batson's head on Tnet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT