ADVERTISEMENT

Rebecca Lobo, kara Lawson and that male announcer

masterjet90

Sep 30, 2001
did anyone notice in the ladies game vs Buffalo when it was pretty clear Carolina was going to win the game, these 3 suddenly got real quiet.. it was Buffalo this, Buffalo that, all game long .. and those in- game interviews while the game was going on.. also funny how a 11 seed got to play in their back yard while Carolina being a 2 seed had to travel that far.. still grips me we had to play at 9 pm last sunday and then today at 11 am..

There could be a lot of jealousy built up from those people between Dawn and Aja’s success.

One of those idiots claimed Buffalo was on a roll when they made a basket to pull within 9:rolleyes:

Lawson said one time A'ja was out of the game and the announcer said Wilson with a block.. Lawson was hoping she was out of the game I guess..Andy Landers in my opinion does the best job of anyone with the ladies game..i know he is in the studio but still... also, you don't need 2 commentators in a game anyway.. one announcer and one commentator..

Reality is that if we had launched a curb-stomping of them right out of the tip off, all that underdog crap would have been quashed.....but we let them hang around, leaving the door open for the talking heads to talk.

Reactions: king ward
And Lawson played for UT..... so what? ESPN In their pregame meetings had this game scripted to play up the underdog. They oversold it, way oversold it, annoyingly oversold it. But Underdogs sell and their coach has a great story.
Okay... We'll see if they play up the underdog Monday night:rolleyes:.... ESPN is infested with UConn grads(on and off camera) that reduce their broadcasts to UConn hype excursions

S
Reality is that if we had launched a curb-stomping of them right out of the tip off, all that underdog crap would have been quashed.....but we let them hang around, leaving the door open for the talking heads to talk.

So we have to curb stop a really good team to get objectivity from the broadcast crew. That's a good one

Reactions: classof95#
I think it has to do with how much time they take preparing for the game. They prepared for Buffalo because they didn’t have much information on them. They were just using what they prepared.

S

So we have to curb stop a really good team to get objectivity from the broadcast crew. That's a good one
Don't believe I ever said we had to, just stated a fact that if we had taken care of business early, the UT/UConn talking heads would have had to abandon their "let's love the underdog" scripts. That's all. Plus NO ONE should ever expect objectivity from this ESPN WBB crew.

did anyone notice in the ladies game vs Buffalo when it was pretty clear Carolina was going to win the game, these 3 suddenly got real quiet.. it was Buffalo this, Buffalo that, all game long .. and those in- game interviews while the game was going on.. also funny how a 11 seed got to play in their back yard while Carolina being a 2 seed had to travel that far.. still grips me we had to play at 9 pm last sunday and then today at 11 am..

yes, i noticed that.

Its always been that with horse face she hates the Gamecocks

And Lawson played for UT..... so what? ESPN In their pregame meetings had this game scripted to play up the underdog. They oversold it, way oversold it, annoyingly oversold it. But Underdogs sell and their coach has a great story.

sadly, many on here still dont understand sellin'............ radio time, much less tv

In all fairness, Buffalo had to play the first two rounds in Tallahassee and blew out South Florida and FSU down there. Additionally, Buffalo isn't that close to Albany, it's almost 300 miles.

Reactions: king ward
I think it's human nature to side with underdogs. I think announcers are as human as anybody, albeit I wonder sometimes about people who think they should be on TV enough to actually get themselves on TV.

But, hell, if it ain't Gamecocks or somebody playing Clemson or Georgia then I'm rooting for the underdog or Cinderella. WBB Gamecocks aren't an underdog or a Cinderella, so I get the bias against them.

Reactions: atl-cock
What does a male announcer from the middle east know about women's basketball anyway ?

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

From the Buffalo News:
"Lawson has family roots in Buffalo. Both her parents are from the city and her father, William, went to Buffalo State. There's even a Big 4 connection as her grandfather, John Thomas Burke, was a point guard for Canisius College, graduating back in 1940."

That's where the Buff-a-luv is coming from.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT