ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting rankings

BobbyB1975

Sep 9, 2018
Good news..... we have the #17 class right now . Bad news ... Our class is ranked 9th in the SEC . Worse news ... that puts us behind Tennessee , Arkansas and Ole Miss and a struggling Auburn !?! Tenn, Arky and Ole Miss ?!! Really ... Tennessee and Arky are in obvious rebuilds with first year coaches . Ole Miss just got off probation . We’re behind FSU and they are in meltdown mode right now . For the record Kentucky is 34 ranked right ahead of Iowa State , an improvement from last year . I like our class so we will see how it works out . Not bashing just acknowledging the facts . Little concerning .

What's concerning is how Kentucky whips us and is so far behind us in recruiting every year.

Another thing that I found crazy was Southern Cal was 27th ... 31st in one ranking . Wow when was the last time they were ranked out of the top 20 recruiting rankings .

Another thing that I found crazy was Southern Cal was 27th ... 31st in one ranking . Wow when was the last time they were ranked out of the top 20 recruiting rankings .
There are a few programs that should never be out of the top 20, USC, Bama, Miami, Texas and Ohio St. Whether it be pedigree (everybody but Miami) or plenty of athletes within an Uber drive (Miami).

Good news..... we have the #17 class right now . Bad news ... Our class is ranked 9th in the SEC . Worse news ... that puts us behind Tennessee , Arkansas and Ole Miss and a struggling Auburn !?! Tenn, Arky and Ole Miss ?!! Really ... Tennessee and Arky are in obvious rebuilds with first year coaches . Ole Miss just got off probation . We’re behind FSU and they are in meltdown mode right now . For the record Kentucky is 34 ranked right ahead of Iowa State , an improvement from last year . I like our class so we will see how it works out . Not bashing just acknowledging the facts . Little concerning .
UT and AU have never had an issue recruiting. Heard that 21 of UTs 22 starters are 4 and 5 star players. Butchie could recruit star players.

One thing to think about is he has to go out and recruit players that he needs to build back up and replace players that are graduating.
I think some schools do nothing but go after nothing but just five, four star players whether they need that position filled or not

Reactions: rogue cock

Arkansas has 23 commits, Mississippi has 26. Sounds like their classes are full. We'll still take at least 4 more players and we still have Sorrells, Perry, Robinson leaning our way, all 4 stars.

When Brad Snot was at USC his recruiting classes were constantly ranked in the high tends as I recall, maybe not all of them but at least some of them. Heck, that's not going to do us any good.

But but but muschamps a great recruiter right?

UT has 3 guys from Tennessee committed , more than twice that number from Georgia. Tennessee has always been able to recruit well regionally, even nationally. It’s really amazing

I know I struggle comprehending this fact, and after a few trips to Knoxville I struggle even more and after the dumpster fire meltdowns of the last few years I can’t even fathom a possible “why” would anyone want to go there......& still
I shake my head on occasion going??
HUH really Rocky Bottom........

I know I struggle comprehending this fact, and after a few trips to Knoxville I struggle even more and after the dumpster fire meltdowns of the last few years I can’t even fathom a possible “why” would anyone want to go there......& still

100,000 on Gameday and real championships is impressive.

Reactions: king ward
They only have 15 commitments. Don't know how much room they have, but it won't likely won't stay that way. They had a similar situation either last year or the year before.

Probably can throw Florida in there as well.

Yeah not running down our class . Just expected year 3 to be the class that tipped the scales and it might be . UT always recruits well but Arkansas and Ole Miss ?!! Come on

Yeah not running down our class . Just expected year 3 to be the class that tipped the scales and it might be . UT always recruits well but Arkansas and Ole Miss ?!! Come on
He had to completely rebuild the recruiting connections in the Carolinas' and Georgia. Junior did us no favors. We are just now seeing some of the fruits of his labors, so to speak.

Legacy programs have a leg up on program recovery, whether we like it or not; whether we understand it or not. I mean, how would WE understand it?

There’s not much difference between 10 - 30. Some NFL quality guys. Some solid, consistent college contributors. Some talented, but inconsistent. Some busts.

Top 10, and really top 5 is where you take a significant leap.

So long as Muschamp keeps us top 25, we should be competing with pretty much everyone, assuming quality coaching and game management. But we need to pop a top 10 here and there to realistically have a shot at winning the East.

I’m not worried about recruiting. Muschamp has and will continue to do well. But as with Florida, it’s what he does with those guys on Saturdays that’s confounding and disappointing.

I prefer to rank the class by star average vs. overall points....the overall points method skews the rankings in favor of teams with more commitments. So you might have more commitments but your "star average" per player is lower but how Rivals computes it all the team with more commitments has a better ranking.

Anyways, if you average it by stars we are still 17th nationally but we do move up to 8th in the SEC....but we DO move ahead of Ole Miss and Arkansas when you do that. Maybe that is splitting hairs but I think it is good to look at both ways...especially if your team has a year where you aren't taking as many commitments as other schools.

Clemson avg. star rank right now has them #15....but when you consider their # of commitments they have the #4 class....so just another way of looking at things

I prefer to rank the class by star average vs. overall points....the overall points method skews the rankings in favor of teams with more commitments. So you might have more commitments but your "star average" per player is lower but how Rivals computes it all the team with more commitments has a better ranking.

Anyways, if you average it by stars we are still 17th nationally but we do move up to 8th in the SEC....but we DO move ahead of Ole Miss and Arkansas when you do that. Maybe that is splitting hairs but I think it is good to look at both ways...especially if your team has a year where you aren't taking as many commitments as other schools.

Clemson avg. star rank right now has them #15....but when you consider their # of commitments they have the #4 class....so just another way of looking at things

I agree. This is a better way of looking at things because each year is different in terms of needs. Sometimes you need to replace a lot of graduates and sometimes you only have a few spots open Sometimes you are fixing a dumpster fire with a ton of new recruits. This year our average star number is about as high as it has ever been. That shows we are trending in the right direction.

And they weren't alive for any Gamecock championships in football either.
I have been alive and a Gamecock for a long, long time, but I am having trouble remembering the Gamecock championships. Sr. moment?

Reactions: PC31

Great points . Also I think it can’t be overstated how big one Elite guy can change a recruiting cycle . If you look at the years we signed Lattimore and the year we signed Clowney our overall ranking wasn’t that high but the impact was big . The year Clemson signed Deshaun their class wasn’t top 5 but we know what he did for them .

What's concerning is how Kentucky whips us and is so far behind us in recruiting every year.
That is not supposed to happen because of the "star power " rule is it? Just goes to show that coaching has about as much to do with winning vs. stars. I know you don't want your team filled with 1 and 2 stars but you don't have to have all 4 and 5 stars to win but it makes you have a better chance of a win. We should be ok in 1 or 2 more years if we keep getting top 20 or even top 25 talent.

That is not supposed to happen because of the "star power " rule is it? Just goes to show that coaching has about as much to do with winning vs. stars. I know you don't want your team filled with 1 and 2 stars but you don't have to have all 4 and 5 stars to win but it makes you have a better chance of a win. We should be ok in 1 or 2 more years if we keep getting top 20 or even top 25 talent.
Key for recipe: Talent+coaching
Low talent+poor coaching: Poor team (Wake Forest)
Low talent+average coaching: Poor team (Vanderbuilt)
Low talent+great coaching: Good team (Duke)

Average talent+poor coaching: Poor team (FSU)
Average talent+ average coaching: average team (S. Car)
Average talent+great coaching: Good team (Kentucky)

Great talent+poor coaching: Average team (Auburn)
Great talent+average coaching: Great team (LSU)
Great talent+great coaching: Alabama

I'd say right now we're sitting at average talent with average coaching, so were an average team, with aspirations to make a bowl game. This coaching staff with great talent may turn some heads, upset some people but won't make it undefeated or make it past the Superior talent/coaching teams. May need some help with DL, LB, RB, coaching positions to make this team great. Althought we seriously lack DL size/depth and secondary experience/depth.

Legacy programs have a leg up on program recovery, whether we like it or not; whether we understand it or not. I mean, how would WE understand it?

I know you have seen the signs
See Rock City
I have one close to my house in Lexington.
Has anyone ever seen a sign saying
See Knoxville ?
I don’t disagree with your logic (I seldom disagree with you overall).

But Knoxville? Knoxville? I got nothing, I was just happy to leave

They been telling you for years on here rankings don’t matter dummy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT