ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING VS UGA, FLA, etc.

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
has always been tough . While there are numerous reasons why , one has always been that there are not enough D-1 players produced each year in this state. This situation is beginning to change with the population growth that is expected to explode in the next decade. In my area around Charleston, Berkley and Dorchester counties the growth rate is truly remarkable. This state will add another million or more residents before you know it. Coach Muschamp I believe is here for the long term and is laying the foundation to reap the benefits of this growth. The future for Carolina is bright indeed.

has always been tough . While there are numerous reasons why , one has always been that there are not enough D-1 players produced each year in this state. This situation is beginning to change with the population growth that is expected to explode in the next decade. In my area around Charleston, Berkley and Dorchester counties the growth rate is truly remarkable. This state will add another million or more residents before you know it. Coach Muschamp I believe is here for the long term and is laying the foundation to reap the benefits of this growth. The future for Carolina is bright indeed.
I'd rather have a bad football team than deal with this growth.

That said, population growth certainly won't hurt his recruiting.

Reactions: johnnohj

I agree 100%. It's not just that recruiting vs. UGA and FL is tough, but every major program in the country targets those states because of all the talent. USC will pluck a handful of strong prospects out of those states each year (like Jamyest Williams for example), but it's hard to be the #1 choice for a large number truly elite prospects from those places when UGA, FL, FSU, Clemson, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, Miami, LSU are all after them as well and are just as close to home, plus major out-of-region programs like Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc.

Therefore, I think it's smart for Muschamp to focus heavily on re-establishing ties in the Carolinas (both North and South Carolina) where USC is the closest SEC option and therefore will have stronger pull. If the Gamecocks pull the majority of their recruits from the Shrine Bowl rosters each year, I think it will really pay-off over time. Lots of talent per capita in SC, whereas NC is loaded with good players whose home state programs are mostly basketball schools.

Reactions: LazyIslander
I agree 100%. It's not just that recruiting vs. UGA and FL is tough, but every major program in the country targets those states because of all the talent. USC will pluck a handful of strong prospects out of those states each year (like Jamyest Williams for example), but it's hard to be the #1 choice for a large number truly elite prospects from those places when UGA, FL, FSU, Clemson, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, Miami, LSU are all after them as well and are just as close to home, plus major out-of-region programs like Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc.

Therefore, I think it's smart for Muschamp to focus heavily on re-establishing ties in the Carolinas (both North and South Carolina) where USC is the closest SEC option and therefore will have stronger pull. If the Gamecocks pull the majority of their recruits from the Shrine Bowl rosters each year, I think it will really pay-off over time. Lots of talent per capita in SC, whereas NC is loaded with good players whose home state programs are mostly basketball schools.
yep

There is great wisdom in this post.

Clemson will have another 5* committ this Friday. I was just told by a tater. He is going to a cook out to meet the players. I'm sure money will be handed out

It's nice that people are moving to SC and the population is growing. That would mitigate the advantages of Georgia and Florida. But the populations of those two states are growing too. I know I live in one of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT