ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting:

It will be along rebuild because we will not compromise integrity. In other words, we do not or plan to have a New Springs Church. There in lies the difference.
Haha! I think it's funny this keeps being said but the original New Spring is like 5miles from Carolina. Maybe Champ needs to make a big donation there in the near future! Oh but don't forget, he has to do it in Bit Coins because it is easier to hide!

Tell you the truth, we never did see the kind of offense that Spurrier had at Florida. The Fun N Gun never made it up here.
He never developed or recruited that NFL caliber QB. I think he wanted to but that is why he would yank QBs in and out.

Haha! I think it's funny this keeps being said but the original New Spring is like 5miles from Carolina. Maybe Champ needs to make a big donation there in the near future! Oh but don't forget, he has to do it in Bit Coins because it is easier to hide!

Yes, but they all had different pastors. It was pastor close to Clemson that was the difference.

He never developed or recruited that NFL caliber QB. I think he wanted to but that is why he would yank QBs in and out.
Who did he have at Florida who didn't soon bounce out of the NFL? Shaw became as good as anyone he had down there, actually, plus he could hurt you with his feet.

I disagree. That’s just an excuse for not recruiting at the elite level of Clemp or UGA. If Boom can’t significantly upgrade our talent, he doesn’t deserve to be paid the millions he is being paid. Boom has upgraded our talent, to be sure. But, we’re still nowhere near the best SOS years. Plus, he is nowhere near the game day coach SOS was. That’s the ultimate problem. Even with superior talent, he still hasn’t proven he can win big games. In other words, he hasn’t yet shown that he is a championship coach. I’m still behind him, but I’m still very skeptical.
And who would you hire that would step in and do a better job immediately?

We have big time talent on our offensive side especially at the receiver position. There is no excuse for being so ineffective. We should be scoring points in bunches on just about anyone. Defense is rebuilding. Offense doesn’t have that excuse. Champ tied himself to this oc hire/promotion. Hope i am wrong but i think it might be a missed opportunity. Spurrier, as bad as he dropped the ball, in the end would score 40 points a game with this receiving crew. Jake still has not developed. Don’t really understand that. Don’t think we are going to outscheme anyone. Better out recruit them. That’s not happening yet.
WHY YET NO RUNNING GAME? Hand off from Jake too slow?

WHY YET NO RUNNING GAME? Hand off from Jake too slow?

Our lack of success offensively is a mystery at least from a talent standpoint. No, we are not the 96 Florida gators but should be above the low bar that we have set for ourselves currently.

Who did he have at Florida who didn't soon bounce out of the NFL? Shaw became as good as anyone he had down there, actually, plus he could hurt you with his feet.
He had Heisman winner Wuerffel, Rex Grossman, Shane Matthews, and I sure I'm missing a couple but all those were NFL QBs. He never had those caliber at Carolina. Which I was responding to someone asking why he didn't have that high potent offense at USC?

He had Heisman winner Wuerffel, Rex Grossman, Shane Matthews, and I sure I'm missing a couple but all those were NFL QBs. He never had those caliber at Carolina. Which I was responding to someone asking why he didn't have that high potent offense at USC?
None of them made a dent in the NFL. Shaw was as good as any of them, although a different type. Shaw would have done as much at the next level as any of them if not for injuries.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
None of them made a dent in the NFL. Shaw was as good as any of them, although a different type. Shaw would have done as much at the next level as any of them if not for injuries.
None made a dent? Rex Grossman took Peyton to the wire in Super Bowl. 13-3 that year and Pro Bowl selected. I would consider going to Super Bowl making a dent. All of those I listed were starters in the NFL at some point and all played 8+yrs. Spurrier had other QBs while at Florida, he never had that type of QB talent at USC. Shaw was never close to being a Heisman winner or NFL starter. He was a good college player but he wasn't as talented as those guys, what he did have was serious drive to win and to make others around him better. Kind of similar to Tebow in description.

That said, my response was to someone asking why SOS never had the high flying offense at USC. I replied he would have loved to but never had the same level of QBs playing for him. He would have loved to be able to sling it around like Florida days. That's why he always played Duck-Duck-Goose with QBs as he wanted the one with the best passing on that day. It didn't work out too well as he usually ended up with the QB that actually started the game.

Good grief. He was paid to win games at the college level not to put qbs in the nfl.

Good grief. He was paid to win games at the college level not to put qbs in the nfl.
You obviously didn't read the rest of the thread. I could give two chits about who he put in the NFL. The question was asked why he didn't score like he did at Florida. You should read everything before you make dumb misinformed comments!

Grossn
None made a dent? Rex Grossman took Peyton to the wire in Super Bowl. 13-3 that year and Pro Bowl selected. I would consider going to Super Bowl making a dent. All of those I listed were starters in the NFL at some point and all played 8+yrs. Spurrier had other QBs while at Florida, he never had that type of QB talent at USC. Shaw was never close to being a Heisman winner or NFL starter. He was a good college player but he wasn't as talented as those guys, what he did have was serious drive to win and to make others around him better. Kind of similar to Tebow in description.

That said, my response was to someone asking why SOS never had the high flying offense at USC. I replied he would have loved to but never had the same level of QBs playing for him. He would have loved to be able to sling it around like Florida days. That's why he always played Duck-Duck-Goose with QBs as he wanted the one with the best passing on that day. It didn't work out too well as he usually ended up with the QB that actually started the game.
Grossman was a flash in the pan - here and gone. They all were. Defenses had caught up with the Fun N Gun by the time Spurrier came here. Shaw was as good as anyone Spurrier ever had, Heisman winner notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler won Super Bowls. Do you consider them great NFL QBs?

Reactions: king ward
Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler won Super Bowls. Do you consider them great NFL QBs?
Were they QBs at Florida under Spurrier? Did Spurrier have a string of QBs of that caliber ever? NO! That would explain why SOS didn't have the high flying scoring offenses at Carolina.

Grossn
Grossman was a flash in the pan - here and gone. They all were. Defenses had caught up with the Fun N Gun by the time Spurrier came here. Shaw was as good as anyone Spurrier ever had, Heisman winner notwithstanding.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Shaw was never an elite passer. I put Shaw with Tebow style moreso! No matter how great Shaw was, Spurrier still never had the overall talent of QBs at USC that he had at Florida! Even if they were not great NFL players, I'm pretty sure any QB that has started in the NFL during the season were obviously great college players 99% of the time. It's easier to score big points when your QBs are talented.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Shaw was never an elite passer. I put Shaw with Tebow style moreso! No matter how great Shaw was, Spurrier still never had the overall talent of QBs at USC that he had at Florida! Even if they were not great NFL players, I'm pretty sure any QB that has started in the NFL during the season were obviously great college players 99% of the time. It's easier to score big points when your QBs are talented.
Those boys could pass - in college. They also had great wide receivers who made them look better than they were, and decent running backs as well. But none of those quarterbacks were comprehensively better than Shaw. And Shaw would have had an NFL career but for his injuries. Spurrier didn't even try to run the Fun N Gun here, not because of his players, but because it had run its course.

Were they QBs at Florida under Spurrier? Did Spurrier have a string of QBs of that caliber ever? NO! That would explain why SOS didn't have the high flying scoring offenses at Carolina.
Whether or not they were Spurrier QBs is irrelevant. You acted like the fact that Grossman appeared in on Super Bowl, that meant he was a great QB. I simply pointed out those other QBs that actually won Super Bowls, yet none are not considered great NFL QBs by anyone's standards.

As King pointed out, sometimes average QBs are made to look better than they are by virtue of being on great teams. This was clearly the case with most of Spurrier QBs.

Whether or not they were Spurrier QBs is irrelevant. You acted like the fact that Grossman appeared in on Super Bowl, that meant he was a great QB. I simply pointed out those other QBs that actually won Super Bowls, yet none are not considered great NFL QBs by anyone's standards.

As King pointed out, sometimes average QBs are made to look better than they are by virtue of being on great teams. This was clearly the case with most of Spurrier QBs.
Oh indubitably. :D

Oh indubitably. :D
Somehow or another it seems my entire point has gone over everyone's head and the discussion keeps going down different wormholes.

If Spurrier had NFL talented QBs on his roster the entire time he was at USC like he did at Florida, likely he would have scored more points during his tenure. The debate was never about if the QBs were good in the NFL but obviously they were NFL caliber as they all got drafted, played and started in the NFL. The closest he had at USC in 10 seasons was Shaw which was borderline at best. (Yes, Shaw was above average college player but not elite arm talent).

Point, with better QBs on roster, more scoring would have been very likely. If that translated into more wins, I would suggest quite likely. The defense was never a question until he had packed it in.

Haha, if this creates another wormhole then I surrender!

Reactions: rogue cock
Somehow or another it seems my entire point has gone over everyone's head and the discussion keeps going down different wormholes.

If Spurrier had NFL talented QBs on his roster the entire time he was at USC like he did at Florida, likely he would have scored more points during his tenure. The debate was never about if the QBs were good in the NFL but obviously they were NFL caliber as they all got drafted, played and started in the NFL. The closest he had at USC in 10 seasons was Shaw which was borderline at best. (Yes, Shaw was above average college player but not elite arm talent).

Point, with better QBs on roster, more scoring would have been very likely. If that translated into more wins, I would suggest quite likely. The defense was never a question until he had packed it in.

Haha, if this creates another wormhole then I surrender!
No, I understand what you've been trying to say. I'm just in adverse agreement with it.:D If the Fun N Gun, which those guys were recruited to run, had been operative when Spurrier came, I might be in compatible agreement with you. But former NFL assistants coming into college ball brought techniques with them that blunted the Fun N Gun.

No, I understand what you've been trying to say. I'm just in adverse agreement with it.:D If the Fun N Gun, which those guys were recruited to run, had been operative when Spurrier came, I might be in compatible agreement with you. But former NFL assistants coming into college ball brought techniques with them that blunted the Fun N Gun.
Well if you don't think that NFL caliber QBs on the roster for 10yrs as HC wouldn't have resulted in more points then I don't know what else to say. You would never convince me otherwise. If you don't think there would be more points scored if there was a Baker Mayfield, Mahonnes, Watson, Darnold, etc. on the roster right now vs Bentley then I don't know what to tell you. And Bentley is better than a lot of the QBs that Spurrier had minus potentially Shaw. Otherwise, I surrender, we'll never see eye to eye on this topic.

Well if you don't think that NFL caliber QBs on the roster for 10yrs as HC wouldn't have resulted in more points then I don't know what else to say. You would never convince me otherwise. If you don't think there would be more points scored if there was a Baker Mayfield, Mahonnes, Watson, Darnold, etc. on the roster right now vs Bentley then I don't know what to tell you. And Bentley is better than a lot of the QBs that Spurrier had minus potentially Shaw. Otherwise, I surrender, we'll never see eye to eye on this topic.
You named four who are better than Spurrier ever had down there. You jumped the tracks by doing that.

You named four who are better than Spurrier ever had down there. You jumped the tracks by doing that.
I don't necessarily agree but I was still pursuing my point! Haha! I am sure in 3-7yrs you will say 2-3 of them haven't made a dent in NFL. Maybe they all succeed but odds are low.

I don't necessarily agree but I was still pursuing my point! Haha! I am sure in 3-7yrs you will say 2-3 of them haven't made a dent in NFL. Maybe they all succeed but odds are low.
Well, you have your point, which never went "over my head". I doubt if it went over anyone else's head, either. I won't restate either of my points, not feeling the need. We're a little bit in an "apples and oranges" situation here because the Fun n Gun had gone by the board by the time Spurrier got here, mainly due to all the pattern disruption that defenses adopted when facing drop-back passers who are no threat to run. For that reason, no one else ever really ran it after Spurrier at Florida, although Petrino came close for a little while. Now his offense looks pretty much like anyone else's offense. Enjoy your football Saturday.

He was pretty elite against Mizery ;)

Don’t you think the facilities argument is overblown. Yes, they are better than they were in 2005. But so is everybody else’s. We are just keeping up with the Joneses. Don’t see that as a competitive advantage.

The new facility has a Barbershop and recording studio. If that’s standard, these kids have it good.

Don’t you think the facilities argument is overblown. Yes, they are better than they were in 2005. But so is everybody else’s. We are just keeping up with the Joneses. Don’t see that as a competitive advantage.
If you don't "keep up with the Joneses" you'll find out what a competitive DISadvantage is right quick.

That’s one more thing that gets me about Rocky Bottom, I truly cannot understand why anyone would want to go there,
Like ever.

I even begrudgingly admit to Pickens having some nice areas

Hell, those QBs are better than any he had at Florida with the exception of maybe Weurffel(only in college, lacked the arm strength to be a great NFL QB)

Not familiar with their infrastructure, apart from the stadium.
The lack of keeping up with the Jones' is the number 1 reason Jimbo left according to him. They kept promising new facilities but they never followed. After FSU's game 1 this year they announced a new $100m sport facility fundraiser with a two year target to reach the $$$ goal. So they are still looking for money which means they are a min of 3yrs out still.

The lack of keeping up with the Jones' is the number 1 reason Jimbo left according to him. They kept promising new facilities but they never followed. After FSU's game 1 this year they announced a new $100m sport facility fundraiser with a two year target to reach the $$$ goal. So they are still looking for money which means they are a min of 3yrs out still.
That's the # 2 reason, or at best, the #4 reason.

Thing is, he didn’t need the high flying offense over those 11 win seasons. Those defenses were probably the best he had anywhere and he was smart enough to realize he didn’t need 50 pts to win. He seemed to be happy with 21 and then run the clock.

Thing is, he didn’t need the high flying offense over those 11 win seasons. Those defenses were probably the best he had anywhere and he was smart enough to realize he didn’t need 50 pts to win. He seemed to be happy with 21 and then run the clock.
Now I can agree with that! He never had a Def that good in Florida so he needed them points!

He was getting old. When he finally got old, he caved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT