ADVERTISEMENT

Remember: USC makes a 4 yr guarantee to players

Bucs90

Sep 22, 2019
So many seem to not know this. The Power 5 and Notre Dame guarantee scholarships for 4 years. The players and activists demanded this and got it in 2015. They demanded that schools and teams (and tax payers who fund public universities) make a 4 year 4 seasons commitment to them. And they (we) did.

I would consider that commitment one-sided and now even academic, bordering on pathetic.
Its clearly one sided. The university, team and fans aren’t getting their investment worth back, and thats every Power 5 not just us. If a 4 yr guarantee is given, there should be at least an almost certain return of 3 full complete seasons played.

Its clearly one sided. The university, team and fans aren’t getting their investment worth back, and thats every Power 5 not just us. If a 4 yr guarantee is given, there should be at least an almost certain return of 3 full complete seasons played.
The players hold every face card, every ace, and every 10 now.

I've posted before that the only cure for this is a split from the nfl farm system and a return to AMATEUR football! Players are guaranteed a FOUR YEAR SCHOLARSHIP and should see that as a long ago forgotten thing called A COMMITMENT!!

So many seem to not know this. The Power 5 and Notre Dame guarantee scholarships for 4 years. The players and activists demanded this and got it in 2015. They demanded that schools and teams (and tax payers who fund public universities) make a 4 year 4 seasons commitment to them. And they (we) did.

are taxpayers funding athletic scholarships? when did this change?

Indirectly. It's not as if the legislature allocated money for this purpose.
Still makes us all 1/5,000,000th owners. And “we” give 4 yr guaranteed scholarships to players who demanded it, who also demand 24/7 free agency

Well unless USC has a money printing press that D.C. is ok w them using yes haha. USC is a state funded school

I realize USC is partially a state funded school.

For the 20 years I was in the Gamecock Club, athletic scholarships (tuition fees, meal costs, housing costs, medical costs, etc...). were funded by the Gamecock Club and athletic department revenue- not tax money.

I realize USC is partially a state funded school.

For the 20 years I was in the Gamecock Club, athletic scholarships (tuition fees, meal costs, housing costs, medical costs, etc...). were funded by the Gamecock Club and athletic department revenue- not tax money.

Well, most of those people are tax payers right haha?

On that note may I ask: What becomes of the Gamecock Club now? Lets say me, Joe Nobody, gives $1,000 a year, and say theres thousands of guys like me. Same for other major schools. That $$ probably goes to fund lots of non revenue sports right?

Now, lets say the future of winning depends 99% on fans and donors giving to off campus, non affiliated NIL collectives to lure top players, which is the future. Do I still give $1000 to the GC? And another $1000 to the “Pay Our QB Collective”? No way. I only care about football.

So does the GC, and indirectly the non revenue sports, lose lots of $$$ all so the star FB guys “get the bag”?

And the dominoe effect, does that give us less cash to pay Furman to come play? And thus Furmans athletics department loses that critical pay day, and maybe they have to drop some non revenue sports?

This NIL stuff is going to cause a butterfly effect of harm to so many countless athletes.

I guess my thought is, theres not gonna be a huge spike in extra cash in the hands of fans and donors. That money is gonna remain the same, its just gonna go somewhere different now. Instead of official school affiliated booster clubs, its going right into the pockets of a FEW football and basketball players. Most college athletes are going to suffer all so a few can get paid, the same few who are 99% likely to become millionaires anyway in the NFL/NBA.

I know for me, if Im gonna give what I can afford, say $1000-$2000 a year, and my choice is the Gamecock Club (or IPTAY for Tiger fans)….OR, to a collective thats gonna pay a Heisman candidate QB to transfer in, im giving to the football player. I wanna win football games. I think most fans will do the same. If schools have to drop soccer or tennis as a result, i dont care

Well, most of those people are tax payers right haha?

On that note may I ask: What becomes of the Gamecock Club now? Lets say me, Joe Nobody, gives $1,000 a year, and say theres thousands of guys like me. Same for other major schools. That $$ probably goes to fund lots of non revenue sports right?

Now, lets say the future of winning depends 99% on fans and donors giving to off campus, non affiliated NIL collectives to lure top players, which is the future. Do I still give $1000 to the GC? And another $1000 to the “Pay Our QB Collective”? No way. I only care about football.

So does the GC, and indirectly the non revenue sports, lose lots of $$$ all so the star FB guys “get the bag”?

And the dominoe effect, does that give us less cash to pay Furman to come play? And thus Furmans athletics department loses that critical pay day, and maybe they have to drop some non revenue sports?

This NIL stuff is going to cause a butterfly effect of harm to so many countless athletes.
NIL initiatives and scholarship initiatives will be and already are competing for the same dollars. There are only so many dollars that typical people can or will devote to boosting college athletic teams.

Reactions: uscwatson21
NIL initiatives and scholarship initiatives will be and already are competing for the same dollars. There are only so many dollars that typical people can or will devote to boosting college athletic teams.
Yep exactly. If we want to win FOOTBALL games we better give 100% to the NIL collectives, or just straight cash to the star players to come sign an autograph.

If you wanna send money to all sports to be fair, go Gamecock Club. But dont be mad when football is 7-5 and our star players leave. Choose wisely

Yep exactly. If we want to win FOOTBALL games we better give 100% to the NIL collectives, or just straight cash to the star players to come sign an autograph.

If you wanna send money to all sports to be fair, go Gamecock Club. But dont be mad when football is 7-5 and our star players leave. Choose wisely
That's right. Don't waste time with scholarships. They won't be actually attending school much longer anyway.

So stating the obvious , A 4 year scholarship commitment, unless (and this is from the article, see below)
would only apply while the athlete is on the team. Some are suggesting that the school is out for 4 years of scholarship after the athlete transfers, which is not the case.
(For the record I'm not posting to take a stand on either side, but to provide some clarification)
  • Voluntarily quits their team; or. (which would be entering the transfer portal)

Reactions: woodycock
So stating the obvious , A 4 year scholarship commitment, unless (and this is from the article, see below)
would only apply while the athlete is on the team. Some are suggesting that the school is out for 4 years of scholarship after the athlete transfers, which is not the case.
(For the record I'm not posting to take a stand on either side, but to provide some clarification)
  • Voluntarily quits their team; or. (which would be entering the transfer portal)
Correct. What im saying is we guaranteed them 4 years no matter How they play, the players in 2015 (all NCAA) demanded that! They got it. But they arent held to any committment at all. Its wrong

Reactions: king ward
If USC is giving a 4 year guarantee, that all sounds good, but they are playing a fools game in this day and time. In this age of instant free agency through the portal a team often finds itself with need they immediately need to fill. Every school recruits players that just don't work out for whatever reason at the Power 5 level. And with players getting paid, ability to jump instantly for a better offer, it is a business. Nothing more, nothing less. The players wanted that, and they got it. But the sword cuts both ways. If a player that isn't cutting it, the days of riding the bench for 4-5 years because you live good ole USC are over. That is when you are told that you will never contribute and that you need to contact GW, CSU, The Citadel, and see if the are interested in you transferring

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
The players hold every face card, every ace, and every 10 now.
I believe the schools hold all the cards if they would come together as one, but there's too much money involved for them to do this. Without College football where would these kids play? No Where!

I believe the schools hold all the cards if they would come together as one, but there's too much money involved for them to do this. Without College football where would these kids play? No Where!
The NFL would have to figure out a true developmental league, but the only players who would get a crack would be the ones who showed the absolute maximum potential in high school.

Correct. What im saying is we guaranteed them 4 years no matter How they play, the players in 2015 (all NCAA) demanded that! They got it. But they arent held to any committment at all. Its wrong
I'm not arguing your statement, but let's be honest, even if you snag a couple of 4 or 5 * players, there is never any assurances as to how well they will develop. It is an educated guess, at its very best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT