ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer | NCAA Tourney, USC-BYU | Saturday 7 p.m.

B

Brian Shoemaker

FROM BRIAN ALDEN, USC ATHLETICS

VI-xxUKr9-vwRBa5FaP3SdSk1Bc-LCAgeI6eZs-NfZi_HJ8KtptGGpRcOypa6wqYik7Fvd04EOGSwZP_BgUA8wgkKgDwmNYQmc7Bf_BgucWyJ8qZpjeAVthv28J3QjFtJf4TzwSfjFTYc1qD2y-q8CAF7Uue6o1Xh9oqSqbwp4Y27EjBJ0VqGTyuVae0JALMt54b9sHEyz3H=s0-d-e1-ft

Gamecocks Travel to BYU With Bid to College Cup On the Line
11/26/2021 | Women's Soccer

PROVO, Utah - A bid to the NCAA women's soccer College Cup is on the line when South Carolina travels to BYU for an Elite Eight matchup Saturday, November 27. Kickoff is set for 5 p.m. MT/7 p.m. ET. The Gamecocks are making their fifth appearance in the NCAA Quarterfinals in the last eight seasons. Carolina is looking to make their second College Cup appearance (2017).

Gameday Information - NCAA Tournament
When
: November 27 | 7 p.m. ET
Where: Provo Utah
Venue: South Field (4,200)
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
Radio: BYU Radio
Live Video: BYU TV; Jarom Jordan (pxp), Carla Swensen-Haslam (analyst), and Kiki Solano (sideline)
Series History: South Carolina 1, BYU 0 | November 19, 2016 | Columbia, S.C.

RV South Carolina Gamecocks 14-6-1
Last Game:
W, 2-0 vs. Penn State (Nov. 21)
Coach: Shelley Smith | 21st Season
Goals Leader: Catherine Barry | 8
Assists Leader: Lauren Chang | 10
Points Leader: Catherine Barry | 19
Shots Leader: Catherine Barry | 42
Saves Leader: Heather Hinz | 56

#13 BYU Cougars 16-4-1
Last Game: W, 1-0 at Virginia
(Nov. 20)
Coach: Jennifer Rockwood| 27th Season
Goals Leader: Mikayla Colohan and Cameron Tucker | 16
Assists Leader: Mikayla Colohan | 14
Points Leader: Mikayla Colohan | 46
Shots Leader: Mikayla Colohan | 123
Saves Leader: Cassidy Smith | 47

QUICK NOTES: SC vs BYU
  • South Carolina is one of only two teams (Michigan) who has not allowed a goal in the NCAA Tournament.
  • The Gamecocks won the only meeting between the two sides, 1-0, in the 2016 Sweet Sixteen.
  • The teams have three common opponents on the season, Auburn, Missouri, and Alabama.
    • The Gamecocks are 3-0 against them, while BYU is 2-1, falling to Auburn.
    • South Carolina defeated Auburn 3-2, while BYU fell 2-1.
2021 Season Notables
  • It's the Gamecock's fifth quarterfinal appearances in program history. It's the fifth time in eight seasons, appearing every other year since 2014, with back-to-back appearances in 2016-17.
  • Goalkeeper Heather Hinz recorded back-to-back matches with five or more saves against Hofstra (7) and Penn State (5). It's been 10 years since a Carolina goalkeeper recorded back-to-back games of 5+ saves. The last Gamecock to do so was Sabrina D'Angelo at Tennessee (5) and at Georgia (8) Sep. 23 & 25, 2011.
  • South Carolina made its sixth Sweet Sixteen appearance in program history. It's the second time in the last three seasons; the fourth time in the last six; and the fifth time in the last eight
  • This is the sixth consecutive season the Gamecocks have advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, dating back to 2016. They've advanced to the second round 11 of the last 12 seasons.
  • The Gamecocks have made nine consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances. They're made the tournament 14 of the last 15 years. This will be their 15th appearance in program history.
  • Lauren Chang rank 25th in the nation with 10 assists on the season. Ryan Gareis is 43rd with nine assists.
  • The Gamecocks lead the SEC in fewest fouls per game and rank 37th nationally.
  • Against Ole Miss, Lauren Chang became the program's leader in career matches played with 96. She currently ranked 6th among all active NCAA women's soccer players with 105. She is currently 8th all-time in NCAA history.
  • A program record seven players were named to the CoSIDA Academic All-America All-District team; Catherine Barry, Samantha Chang, Lauren Chang, Sarah Eskew, Ryan Gareis, Jyllissa Harris, and Heather Hinz.
  • Jyllissa Harris was named to the All-SEC First Team. She is the 8th player in program history to earn multiple first team honors.
  • Claire Griffiths was named to the SEC Community service team.
  • Payton Patrick was named the SEC Freshman of the Week on Oct. 25.
  • Catherine Barry scored 1:02 into the match against Alabama on Oct. 24, the fifth fastest goal in program history.
  • Ryan Gareis was named the SEC Co-Offensive Player of the Week on Oct. 4.
  • Jyllissa Harris was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Week on Sept. 27.
  • The Gamecocks have used a deep bench this season. At least 20 players earned minutes in the first seven matches of the season. The have used at least 20 players in 11 of the 21 games this season.
  • Earlier this season against Charlotte, Luciana Zullo scored her first goal of the season 46 seconds into the match. That's tied for the second fastest goal in program history.
  • South Carolina was picked by the league's coaches to finish third in the 2021 SEC regular season. The Gamecocks have not finished a season lower than third in the SEC since 2015.
  • Five Gamecocks were named to the SEC Soccer Preseason Watch List - Catherine Barry, Lauren Chang, Samantha Chang, Ryan Gareis, and Jyllissa Harris.
  • Head coach Shelley Smith returns 21 of last season's 26 letterwinners, including the team's top three goal scorers and four fifth-year seniors who chose to return for their bonus year of eligibility.
  • South Carolina added six freshmen to the collection of returning letterwinners.
All-Time Results vs. BYU
11/19/2016HomeColumbia, S.C.W, 1-0
Overall: 1-0
Conf: 0-0
Home: 1-0
Away: 0-0
Neutral: 0-0

For women's soccer updates, continue to check back with GamecocksOnline.com or follow the team's social media accounts on Twitter @GamecockWSoccer, Facebook /GamecockWSoccer, and Instagram @GamecockWSoccer.
Related Links

It is unfortunate that they are time slotted against the football game. It should be a great game. I will have them on my computer while watching SC/Clem and OK/OKstate on my tvs...

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Blizzard like conditions in Provo tonight. Might have to use the orange soccer ball for the game. Just kidding. South Carolina is the SEC last hope of placing a team in the College Cup. Arkansas lost to Rutgers last night.

This does not pertain to South Carolina, but I am still thinking about the Southern California and Pennsylvania State match last Friday. How does Southern California score two goals in regulation time but cannot score a goal during the penalty shootout?

It is unfortunate that they are time slotted against the football game. It should be a great game. I will have them on my computer while watching SC/Clem and OK/OKstate on my tvs...
At first, the game was scheduled for the 26 November, but a day later it was changed to 27 November. I will be watching both games (South Carolina football and soccer matich) at the same time too.

At first, the game was scheduled for the 26 November, but a day later it was changed to 27 November. I will be watching both games (South Carolina football and soccer matich) at the same time too.
I think it is a great matchup for us. We were pretty even on the three common opponents. Hopefully we can continue with our momentum, but if you are in the elite 8, everyone has some momentum... 😁

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Florida Sate, Rutgers and Santa Clara are already into the College Cup (Final Four). The College Cup will be at Santa Clara next weekend. Santa Clara is the defending champ but were not seeded this tournament.

BYU scores again. 4-1. About 15 minutes gone in 2nd half. There is no place like home. Lady Gamecocks overachieved to make it to the Elite 8. Wish the men's programs could be half this good. Shelly Smith is a heck of a coach hope she stays another 20 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT