ADVERTISEMENT

Replay

JGH 35

Oct 22, 2013
I watched the replay of the game yesterday and realized what a true gift this game was. We got beat in almost every phase of the game. Their coach really made a bone headed decision to go for an onside kick after their first score that keep us in the game. The inexplicable pick 6 that Drew Lock threw to us was another gift. They also dropped 2 sure TD passes in the end zone and after one of those they missed the short FG. This game could easily have been a runaway the other way.

As they say, a win is a win but it is obvious that our team is not very good at this point and needs considerable improvement on both offense and defense. Scarnecchia and Parker White were true bright spots in this game.

We cannot continue to play like this and expect to win many more games. We need to learn to tackle and to fill gaps on defense as the run defense is atrocious. Our running game is almost non existent. We simply do not have any quality running backs. They do not run with authority and seemingly go down with the first contact. We seldom see any broken tackles or see them make decisive cuts to hit open holes with authority. I'd say we need some major recruiting for this position.

We also gave them a short field twice by botching two punts. So gifts were given by both teams. It's obvious we need to improve, but it's an SEC win, and we aren't giving it back.

Reactions: Cockopotamus
Two stats didn't skew wildly towards Mizzou.

Time of possession - they had a slight advantage (less than 2:00)
Turnovers
Passing yards (ok, that's three)

They made critical mistakes, and then when the game was in the balance, Scar made a couple huge throws (that were actually caught).

They looked sloppy and poorly coached at times, but the conditions were... extreme.

Scarnecchia also threw 2 passes (one to a lineman) that should have been intercepted. I believe the 2nd one was right before the final FG by PW. There was a large element of luck which contributed to our win. I will say we seemed to handle the weather better that Mizzou, with the exception being punting.

Reactions: 4ever2thee
Barry Odom said that was not a called onside kick, said it was. “misfit” kick. They were trying to pooch it to th right side and the kicker just flubbed it.

Also nearly half the game was in a terrential downpour so that def added to the sloppiness for both teams

Like Batgirl said, I’ll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT