ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant thread.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
My post about Mill Pond and the other about Duffs had me thinking we need one ongoing thread about new, old, good, bad eating joints. Experiences good or bad.
I dropped $230 at Mill Pond but wouldn’t mind going back for a milestone occasion. The age of the building and scenery made the food even better.

they’ve been closed for a while now but fayes in jackson was the greasiest spoon you could ever want! busted up wood flooring, springs hanging out of the school bus seats bolted to the floor, laminate peeling off the tables. and really dark inside. but they had the best blt with onion rings ever.

Reactions: Judson1
The Peddler in Greenville used to be great. I don't know if they are around anymore.
Special mention to Brickstreet Bakery.
Never been to The Peddler, but I’ve always heard good things about it. When we’re in Greenville, we go to Larkin’s or Ruth’s Chris. The Melting Pot and Saskatoon’s are great too.

Reactions: Judson1
My post about Mill Pond and the other about Duffs had me thinking we need one ongoing thread about new, old, good, bad eating joints. Experiences good or bad.
I dropped $230 at Mill Pond but wouldn’t mind going back for a milestone occasion. The age of the building and scenery made the food even better.
I really enjoy Pixie and Bill’s in Clemson. In enemy territory but worth it.

Trappe Door in Greenville is fantastic. Frank’s at Litchfield/Pawleys. Is Mr Friendly’s still around?

"Wade's " in Spartanburg is good meat and 2 or 3 food.

I do like Wades but recommend their dining room over the cafeteria where the food is not as fresh. Don't pass on the graham flour rolls which are outstanding. I try and stuff my pockets with those before I leave. You can think of Wades as a much better version of Lizard's Thicket.

When I was at Wofford Wades was a BBQ joint on the Pacolet Highway where you could get a curb service beer. I would never have dreamed that one day they would become a nice sit down family restaurant known for their veggies.

Reactions: 76MACC
Another great foodie adventure is Miller's Breadbasket in Blackville ( hope they're still in business ). Visit Healing Springs on the outskirts and then take in the quaint little town. Miller's is Pennsylvania Dutch cooking and better than what I've had in Lancaster, Pa. I always end up with the meatloaf topped with stewed tomatoes. The pies are amazing.

Ever around Beaufort, check out Low County produce for breakfast/lunch-great country ham...they also have a pimento cheese, bacon and pepper jelly sandwich for lunch. Lots of other great places but that’s a must for driving through.

Another highly recommended meat and three is the Clover Station in Clover, SC. Huge portions of well seasoned country vittles. There's another meat and three across the street but can't remember the name but I've heard it's just as good.

Other favorites are Skin's hotdogs in Easley, Anderson, Greenville, and Seneca. Jimmy's may be the best in Columbia but IMO doesn't compare to Skin's or to Aiken Billiards ( maybe the best of all? )

The redneck burger at Spantanburg's Nuway Grill and the chill cheese at Ike's were both memorable.

The Flounder Fish Camp and Bowens near S'burg are always must eats for me.

The Front Porch a few hundred yards off 77 near Chester is another excellent meat and three. Yankees eat their cornbread for desert.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horseshoe 04
As I get older I long for a cafeteria in Columbia. Morrisons, Picadilly's and S&S are but distant memories. I like the K&W in Charlotte but have they all disappeared from SC? The closest cafeteria to Columbia may be the S&S in Augusta. I don't understand why one of the largest metro areas in SC can't have a cafeteria?

As I get older I long for a cafeteria in Columbia. Morrisons, Picadilly's and S&S are but distant memories. I like the K&W in Charlotte but have they all disappeared from SC? The closest cafeteria to Columbia may be the S&S in Augusta. I don't understand why one of the largest metro areas in SC can't have a cafeteria?
What do you define as cafeteria?

Ever around Beaufort, check out Low County produce for breakfast/lunch-great country ham...they also have a pimento cheese, bacon and pepper jelly sandwich for lunch. Lots of other great places but that’s a must for driving through.
Where's that little side place down on Beaufort where you can pick up just about anykind of a toasted shrimp sandwhich that you can imagine?? Isn't in Hwy 21 like youre heading to Huntington Island or somewhere thereabouts??

Just askin'. Hit that place with an old buddy of mine a few years ago and that little drive-up place on the side of the road tripped me out!!! It was good, no doubt, but I will admit that that was the very first toasted shrimp sandwhich that I had ever eaten at that time!! Ain't had one since, but would certainly hit it again!!

Charleston = Boat House
Savannah = Cotton Exchange
*(hard to find much bad food in either of the 2 above & as a South Carolina lifer, It pains me to admit Savannah has Charleston beat by the slimmest margin).
Murrels Inlet = Hot Fish Club
Myrtle = Flamingo Grill
Atlanta = Rays on the River
Ft Lauderdale = Coconuts & G&B oyster bar (several other honorable mentions)
Miami = River Oyster & Komodo
Chicago = Genos
San Francisco = several near the piers downtown
Laguna Beach = Las Brisas
SanDiego = Wolfman(*especially breakfast before a trade show)
Greenville area = Skins (hard to argue against it)
Hilton Head = tiki hut (it’s not always about the food ;) ) .
Augusta = Augusta National Golf Club
KeyWest = A&B Lobster House, Lagerheads & others
Irmo = Lucky’s & Hemingway’s (too easy)
Chapin = Zorbas(actually better than the Irmo/St Andrews Zorbas)
Lexington = Rush’s? Or I haven’t found it yet, Alodias maybe
If I could be login to my expense reports of my previous jobs there’s about 100+ places I can’t think of off hand.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Long Gone - Hardwicks Cafeteria on Main St. Ocean Drive
Old School - Hoskins Main St, NMB - best Flounder on the beach (order the dark side)

Reactions: USCRBCOCK
Where's that little side place down on Beaufort where you can pick up just about anykind of a toasted shrimp sandwhich that you can imagine?? Isn't in Hwy 21 like youre heading to Huntington Island or somewhere thereabouts??

Just askin'. Hit that place with an old buddy of mine a few years ago and that little drive-up place on the side of the road tripped me out!!! It was good, no doubt, but I will admit that that was the very first toasted shrimp sandwhich that I had ever eaten at that time!! Ain't had one since, but would certainly hit it again!!
Shrimp Shack?

The Kingsman just over the bridge in Cayce is a local institution. Their ribeye is the closest thing Columbia has to Cogburns ( if you're old enough to remember Cogburns ). I think they have the ribeye on special one night during the week.
If you've never had a hamburger made from ground ribeye you have to go to the Kingsman. It ain't cheap and is always packed, but man oh man ... great fries too.

Another highly recommended meat and three is the Clover Station in Clover, SC. Huge portions of well seasoned country vittles. There's another meat and three across the street but can't remember the name but I've heard it's just as good.

Other favorites are Skin's hotdogs in Easley, Anderson, Greenville, and Seneca. Jimmy's may be the best in Columbia but IMO doesn't compare to Skin's or to Aiken Billiards ( maybe the best of all? )

The redneck burger at Spantanburg's Nuway Grill and the chill cheese at Ike's were both memorable.

The Flounder Fish Camp and Bowens near S'burg are always must eats for me.

The Front Porch a few hundred yards off 77 near Chester is another excellent meat and three. Yankees eat their cornbread for desert.

Which reminds me. Yankees still put sugar on their grits!

• Angry
If you’re ever in the Panhandle my favorite local spot is Dewey Destin’s . We have so many fancy high priced local seafood places I’ve lost count but Dewey’s blows all the fancy ones away by a mile . It’s basically a fry kitchen attached to a boat dock . No frills or fancy service . You basically eat off paper plates and sit at picnic tables on the docks and if you leave the table and don’t bring your plate the seagulls will steal your dinner !!! It’s an absolute dive but anything you order was swimming the day before . The place has been there for what seems like 40 years and it’s still run by three sisters who are there every single day . The docks and restaurant look like they should be condemned but if go for lunch there are people lined up into the parking lot . My favorite in the blackened Cobia Sandwich with hush puppies and season fries . Everything is between $17 and $25 which down here is about what you pay for fast food . The view is absolutely amazing and for the price you just can’t beat it .

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I forgot the Exxon station off Billy Graham & I 85 in Charlotte literally adjacent to the Cracker Barrel & putting them to shame.

otherwise I don’t have too many Charlotte highlights, Kings kitchen, Cowfish, Roosters, but these are more place holders than super star

I forgot the Exxon station off Billy Graham & I 85 in Charlotte literally adjacent to the Cracker Barrel & putting them to shame.

otherwise I don’t have too many Charlotte highlights, Kings kitchen, Cowfish, Roosters, but these are more place holders than super star

D_mned good fried chicken in that Exxon no doubt!! But look, I can turn ya on to a few soul food places here in Charlotte that are even better!!

As far as other "highlights", well its Charlotte. Quite a few good places to eat up here, it just depends on whatcha want!!

One my favorites as far as Italian food: The Open Kitchen

Have eaten there since I was a child and have never been disappointed!!

JMHO of course, but there ya go none-the-less!!

Shrimp Shack?
My parents have had a house close to their since I was a kid- Shrimp Shack’s Shrimp burger is the best there is. Tom Hanks ate there when he was filming Forest Gump and used the name/likeness of the Shrimp Shack for the background in a music video for the band in the next movie he shot.

Reactions: howard13
Reactions: OldWiseCock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT