ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant thread.

The Village Grill in Abbeville is great. The prime rib is awesome and the fresh ground burgers are one of my favorites.
Since you mentioned burgers, which I happen to love, my favorite burger place is Burgers and Barley in Rock Hill, in the old Daddy's Money dance club. I usually get the Triple B. It's bison, bleu cheese sauce and blackened fried tomato. They have sweet potato waffle fries with a poppy seed dipping sauce. They make gourmet burgers any way you like and they're not HUGE. They're a serving. My mouth's watering now. Also, it's a good bar. The craft beer choices are endless.

Last edited:
The Peddler in Greenville used to be great. I don't know if they are around anymore.
Special mention to Brickstreet Bakery.

The Peddler in Greenville was still in business several years ago because we had dinner there one Saturday night. Best Prime Rib I've ever eaten.

I have never eaten at the Open Hearth in Greenville on Wade Hampton but it has been there for years. It would have to be good to be in business since the 50s. I'm going to have to give it a try one of these days.

Will have to give that a try. My wife and I both love Mexican food.
Coa is run by the same people who run Salud out in Camden and “Masa” right on the edge of Camden/Luggoff.. I used to drive all the way to Camden for Salud. They are all a little different but the running theme is high quality/upscale Mexican food and amazing cocktails! If you go to Coa, I recommend the Carnitas, and the Pablano Relleno- they will do it with steak instead of chicken if you ask but either is phenomenal!

As I get older I long for a cafeteria in Columbia. Morrisons, Picadilly's and S&S are but distant memories. I like the K&W in Charlotte but have they all disappeared from SC? The closest cafeteria to Columbia may be the S&S in Augusta. I don't understand why one of the largest metro areas in SC can't have a cafeteria?
My family talked about that the other day and the cycle of restaurants. As a kid cafeterias (S&S and Morrison’s) and fast-food steakhouses (Quincy’s, Ryan’s, Western Steer, etc.) were everywhere. Over time they just faded out and have been replaced by the new trendy things. We were curious what the next restaurant fad would be to fold up. It seems the burrito place (Moe’s, Chipotle, Salsaritas, etc.) or the quick pizza (MOD, Blaze, etc.) is the most likely to fizzle out but who knows.

Well, lets' hear about them, I love those kind of eateries.
The Cyclone Restaurant in Chester is a fantastic hole in the wall diner. Greek and American standards. Their specials are outstanding. The Shorty Special is my wife's fav. I usually get the gyro with Greek salad because it's twice the size of our local Greek joint.

Reactions: king ward
My family talked about that the other day and the cycle of restaurants. As a kid cafeterias (S&S and Morrison’s) and fast-food steakhouses (Quincy’s, Ryan’s, Western Steer, etc.) were everywhere. Over time they just faded out and have been replaced by the new trendy things. We were curious what the next restaurant fad would be to fold up. It seems the burrito place (Moe’s, Chipotle, Salsaritas, etc.) or the quick pizza (MOD, Blaze, etc.) is the most likely to fizzle out but who knows.
Restaurants in general may fizzle out if we don’t get past covid soon..

My favorite "dress up" for anniversary and go out to a nice place use to be the Forum in Greenville, another favorite use to be Ye Old Fireplace. The Forum use to have great live entertain there as well, acts/singers from NYC and many other places. Ye Old Fireplace, of course, had Charlie Spivak. I know things have changed over the years but I guess those type places have gone by the wayside - no demand for that type of dinning and entertainment.

I enjoy anything from the Warmouth in Columbia to the Variety Seafood in Aiken. I enjoy reading these threads.... Don't miss Harold's Country Club in Yemassee. Old McDonald's Fish Camp outside of North Augusta. Even Skins Hot Dogs around Anderson. Me and food get along pretty Well.

If you’re ever in the Panhandle my favorite local spot is Dewey Destin’s . We have so many fancy high priced local seafood places I’ve lost count but Dewey’s blows all the fancy ones away by a mile . It’s basically a fry kitchen attached to a boat dock . No frills or fancy service . You basically eat off paper plates and sit at picnic tables on the docks and if you leave the table and don’t bring your plate the seagulls will steal your dinner !!! It’s an absolute dive but anything you order was swimming the day before . The place has been there for what seems like 40 years and it’s still run by three sisters who are there every single day . The docks and restaurant look like they should be condemned but if go for lunch there are people lined up into the parking lot . My favorite in the blackened Cobia Sandwich with hush puppies and season fries . Everything is between $17 and $25 which down here is about what you pay for fast food . The view is absolutely amazing and for the price you just can’t beat it .
What about Indian Pass Raw Bar? Love that area. But for hurricanes/climate change, I'd move to Appalachicola.

I've been to the Chipotle on Forest Drive in Columbia and I don't really care for it. We can make Mexican food at home for less and with more flavor. My wife's guacamole is the best I've ever had ... anywhere.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Charleston/Folly: Lost Dog - outstanding creative breakfast and lunch
Columbia: The Whig - dive bar for grownups with a small but excellent menu and a wicked good jukebox
Columbia: Tacos Nayarit - former food truck running a Moe's-style operation but with authentic food
Columbia: Real Mexico - More of a menu-based Mexican joint but with authentic food
Columbia: Solstice - alas, the legendary Solstice closed due to covid. You can still get Ricky's food at Mr. Friendly's. He's a diehard Gamecock but I love him only slightly less.
Charlotte: The King's Kitchen - non-profit to benefit the homeless and just happens to have great food
Allenwood, NJ: Allenwood General Store - would fit right in in Anderson or Bamberg. Get a Taylor Pork Roll on a hard roll with egg and cheese.

Last edited:
Reactions: Judson1
I like my bourbon straight.

Seriously, there must be a typo in this post ...
I think maybe he means Colas. It's on Assembly Street, between Gervais and Lady. I've always liked the food there, and I've taken groups from DC and elsewhere. They like it.

Edit: Apparently there is an upscale Mexican place in the Vista called Coa. Menu looks good. Who knew?

Last edited:
Reactions: patback33
I think maybe he means Colas. It's on Assembly Street, between Gervais and Lady. I've always liked the food there, and I've taken groups from DC and elsewhere. They like it.
No, he corrected it above. It's a high end Mexican restaurant on Lady Street in Columbia.

Coa Agaveria y Cocina

The Kingsman just over the bridge in Cayce is a local institution. Their ribeye is the closest thing Columbia has to Cogburns ( if you're old enough to remember Cogburns ). I think they have the ribeye on special one night during the week.
I haven't thought of Cogburn's in years. When we were kids our mom would take us to meet our aunts there when our dad was out of town. This was when it was still downtown. We would get a "steak sandwich" and a Coke. I have no idea what cut that little steak was, but it was tasty. The fries were killer, and the toast was, well, buttery.

Charleston = Boat House
Savannah = Cotton Exchange
*(hard to find much bad food in either of the 2 above & as a South Carolina lifer, It pains me to admit Savannah has Charleston beat by the slimmest margin).
Murrels Inlet = Hot Fish Club
Myrtle = Flamingo Grill
Atlanta = Rays on the River
Ft Lauderdale = Coconuts & G&B oyster bar (several other honorable mentions)
Miami = River Oyster & Komodo
Chicago = Genos
San Francisco = several near the piers downtown
Laguna Beach = Las Brisas
SanDiego = Wolfman(*especially breakfast before a trade show)
Greenville area = Skins (hard to argue against it)
Hilton Head = tiki hut (it’s not always about the food ;) ) .
Augusta = Augusta National Golf Club
KeyWest = A&B Lobster House, Lagerheads & others
Irmo = Lucky’s & Hemingway’s (too easy)
Chapin = Zorbas(actually better than the Irmo/St Andrews Zorbas)
Lexington = Rush’s? Or I haven’t found it yet, Alodias maybe
If I could be login to my expense reports of my previous jobs there’s about 100+ places I can’t think of off hand.
Can a nobody like me get into the restaurant at Augusta National?

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Is there a good Thai restaurant in Columbia or nearby?

Obviously this isn’t in Columbia, but Sweet Basil in Greer in Pelham Rd, beat Bausch & Lomb is freaking amazing. My girlfriends parents took us there when I 1st moved to Greenville. I happened to get my 1st job at Bausch & Lomb and literally ate there all the time. It is great. The Amanda Chicken, with the dumplings as an app. Omg you won’t regret it. Everything you order can be to the spice level you want too. They’ll ask how Spivey you want it. Anyone that tries it, I’d feel like it would become an instant favorite.

The Kingsman just over the bridge in Cayce is a local institution. Their ribeye is the closest thing Columbia has to Cogburns ( if you're old enough to remember Cogburns ). I think they have the ribeye on special one night during the week.
Cogburns was great. Always packed. Sadly that was way back.

Cogburns was great. Always packed. Sadly that was way back.
Always enjoyed Cogburn's when I was a student at the University. Also the Elite Epicurean on Main. Good food and they stayed open long hours. A little tonier downtown restaurant that I wish was still in business was The Market on Assembly. Great steaks and lobster.

Reactions: patback33
As I get older I long for a cafeteria in Columbia. Morrisons, Picadilly's and S&S are but distant memories. I like the K&W in Charlotte but have they all disappeared from SC? The closest cafeteria to Columbia may be the S&S in Augusta. I don't understand why one of the largest metro areas in SC can't have a cafeteria?
There are two K&Ws still operating on the Grand Strand, in Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach.

Charleston/Folly: Lost Dog - outstanding creative breakfast and lunch
Columbia: The Whig - dive bar for grownups with a small but excellent menu
Columbia: Tacos Nayarit - former food truck running a Moe's-style operation but with authentic food
Columbia: Real Mexico - More of a menu-based Mexican joint but with authentic food
Columbia: Solstice - alas, the legendary Solstice closed due to covid. You can still get Ricky's food at Mr. Friendly's. He's a diehard Gamecock but I love him only slightly less.
Charlotte: The King's Kitchen - non-profit to benefit the homeless and just happens to have great food
Allenwood, NJ: Allendwood General Store - would fit right in in Anderson or Bamberg. Get a Taylor Pork Roll on a hard roll with egg and cheese.
In Charleston it has to be Magnolias

Reactions: Frank3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT