ADVERTISEMENT

RUMOR: Steve Addazio in play for South Carolina OC Position?

At this point i wish we would just hire the HC at Army Jeff Monken offer him whatever needed and just commit to being the triple option team in the SEC. That way we would at least stop more blowouts from happening. Games would be shorter we could probably be around a 6 or 7 win team.

Id just be happy to have a well coached team that has an identity and some damn pride. This staff just quit in the 3rd quarter Saturday.

On December 30, 2013, Monken was introduced as the 37th head coach of the Army Black Knights football program.[8] In 2018, he became the first head coach to lead Army to three consecutive bowl appearances, consecutive 10-win seasons, and its first ever 11-win season.
No. Just, no!! We may as well just shut down the program if we go that route. Because we can forget about signing top notch offensive athletes -- defensive ones too for that matter, since no one wants to play in that antiquated system.

If the triple option worked in the Power 5 schools, Paul Johnson would still be coaching at Georgia Tech.

Reactions: Goose cock
Point me to the information that proves Addazio is a poor OC.
Please please hire the dazzler as your OC. Take away his year with one of the greatest players to play college QB in Tebow and he was horrible. Very predictable play calling and it only takes a couple game films to figure him out.

No. Just, no!! We may as well just shut down the program if we go that route. Because we can forget about signing top notch offensive athletes -- defensive ones too for that matter, since no one wants to play in that antiquated system.

If the triple option worked in the Power 5 schools, Paul Johnson would still be coaching at Georgia Tech.
PJ retired

got tired of the UNC bias in the ACC

He would literally, and I mean literally, be one of the absolute worst choices we could make. That is not a joke. I don't think I could write down five other names, including Kurt Warner, that would be a worse choice.

You want to have someone that would be MORE conservative than Muschamp calling plays? Then hire Adazzio.

You want someone that is going to punt every single time with 4th and 1 from the opponent's 40 yard line? Hire Adazzio

There is absolutely no way Muschamp and Ray Tanner can be this stupid... And I am not giving them a lot of credit for intelligence. But they still can't be this dumb.

Reactions: Gradstudent
PJ retired

got tired of the UNC bias in the ACC
Maybe so. But his overall record there was .580. And that was largely before Clemson were what they've become now, and the ACC was as typically weak as it still is -- even though Muschamp can't even seem to beat the middle tier schools of that conference.

What other Power 5 schools do you see looking to run that system? And what high caliber players want to play in it?

Complaints on this guy from Florida fans, I hate to admit it, he does sound like Muschamp's kind of OC

Run up the middle with the speed back, run option with a drop back QB, mis use WRs, try to fit personal into his system, stubborn

1) Does not use players to their strengths.

John Brantley can throw the football. Yet all Addazio did with him was run the option- which is more like a non-option, because everybody knows Brantley can't carry the ball, and throw little bubble (more like baby, because a newborn baby can crawl further than the play gains) screen pass.

Jeff Demps, an Olympic track runner who weighs about the same as a beach ball (he is surprisingly muscular for his frame, and is a decent blocker... but he's still tiny!!!). During the Miami Ohio and South Florida games, Addazio ran him up the middle so much that he got bruised (and later injured, during the Tennessee game). With the fans booing their lungs out in each game, Addazio called a sweep to Demps probably thinking that the fans would shut up once they saw that King Steve was right, and all his little subjects were wrong. Lo and behold, Demps goes 73 yards for a TD against Miami Ohio, and 62 yards for another TD against USF. The fans who weren't silent with shock cheered, causing Addazio to grumble to himself, lucky break.

2) Inability to Adjust

See this year's Miami Ohio, Alabama, and Mississippi State games, along with last year's SEC Championship game. Dives, screens, and quick outs littered the field in pretty much every game this year. 26 yards of total offense throughout the Miami game was the most disgraceful so I'll start there. Forget the bad snaps for now (Addazio's fault as well, I'll cover that later). Dive after dive after dive, then a punt. Next drive: dive, screen pass, dive (punt). Next drive: bad snap, dive, bad snap. It pretty much went on like this all game, yet Addazio only took one deep shot THE ENTIRE GAME (a drop by Thompson. No doubt Addazio stuck out his chin and said "Ha! Told you so, fans!!! That's why I don't do that!!!"). The Alabama game was even worse. The Tide went up early, and stayed there as they slowly added to their lead, while Addazio countered their TD drives with the lethal dive play and its equally dangerous complement, the screen pass. He refused to take a shot downfield all game, even down 31-6. Alabama could have won the game if they took knees the rest of the game. And that's essentially what they did.

3) Too Conservative/Overuse of Staying on Schedule

I've touched on this previously, but it needs mention all by itself because it is such a glaring issue. Here is Addazio's philosophy for play-calling.

1st and 10. Goal: Get 3-4 yards.

2nd and 6/7 Goal: Get 3-4 yards.

3rd and 2/3/4 Goal: Get the first down.

The only issue with this is that every play is supposed to get 2-4 yards. And since Addazio is too stubborn or downright stupid to adjust... well, that's a prescription for disaster, because once the other team realizes that Florida is just trying to gain 4 yards maximum on every play, that's what they defend. Then those 4 yard plays turn into one yard plays, if it doesn't lose yardage, because the defense will stack the box on every play, daring Florida to beat them any other way. Dan Mullen used to punish defenses by throwing the home run ball, and even if it fell incomplete, he sent a message to the defense that Florida can beat you with the long ball, so back off or it will hurt you. But alas, he is gone. And we have an idiot as a playcaller instead of a real man.

Reactions: The Foul Pole
Steve Addazio was the awful play caller in 2010 when we beat Florida 36-14 to win the east and held them to 226 yards, and 11 first downs, and to 2 of 14 on third downs, at their house, maybe that game will ring a bell?

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepfriedCock
I could see Muschamp hiring him since he at Boston College was the only D1 school to offer his son a scholarship. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him as new OC.

I could see him hiring Addazio, but think he would be a down the line choice after being turned down by others. Figure Muschamp has already made his back channel contact with folks over the last couple weeks and probably knows who he has a shot to get. Seriously doubt Morris would have any interest in USC. Am sure he probably has talked to the OC at SMU who he worked with at Auburn. And over the last couple days folks like Luke, Bobo, and Addazio have been fired and are potential candidates. But have a feeling Will already knows who the guy is going to be. Just a matter of timing for the hire.

Dear God, please tell me this isn't going to happen.
5670bc685ea764e1ccdb0d2e91da580f.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT