ADVERTISEMENT

Sabrina Ionescu returns to Oregon for senior yr

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
Even tho draft eligible due to age she cites unfinished business as her rational for returning! Ionescu was the sure #1 overall pick had she entered the draft. Happy to see this! It's great for college WBB! Oregon will be ranked number one going into next season.

Reactions: Brace1
Why was she eligible? Did she miss a year due to injury?
To qualify for the WNBA draft you have to turn 22 by end of the calendar year of the draft. So really any player whose birthday is from September-December could skip their final year.

Not really surprised she stayed, the payout for the WNBA isn't really worth it. Especially given that women's colleges basketball seems to have bigger platform than the WNBA. I only saw her leaving with a National Championship.

Why would she get drafted for that 35k a year unless she got some promo money? Most come back.

Not really surprised she stayed, the payout for the WNBA isn't really worth it. Especially given that women's colleges basketball seems to have bigger platform than the WNBA. I only saw her leaving with a National Championship.

Agreed! I'm still scratching my head over Allisha and Kaela!

Reactions: king ward
My guess is because we won a national championship so why not go out on top. Also the draft that year was weaker than 2018.

I wish they had stayed to. The season would've definitely been better that year. But, its a tough decision stay get hurt and possibly see all your dreams slip away, or leave when the getting is good. Like Gamekem said they both got what they wanted to achieve by coming here: conference and national rings, and improve their overall draft stock. Plus, cosmic stars still made them teammates. Hell, Jewel Lloyd left without a getting a NCAA, but received other awards.

I knew Ioneusec would not leave without a ring. Right now Oregon finally tasted the FF, and believe 2020 is there year. But, who's to say it is - may be not.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawcalcock
I made that point back then, but got hit by "How can you deny these women the right to make a living?" Bottom line is that people are going to defend what they want to defend and rationalize what they want to rationalize. Consistency need not play a role.

Reactions: lawcalcock
Wait, why must women baskeball players have to wait until they are 21, while men can go after one year removed from high school?

I’m just glad she’s coming back that’s awesome! With that being said she could’ve made a half million or more playing professional next year Overseas, not in the ‘WNBA’ but the WNBA is a stepping stone for a better opportunity, and more money in Europe, China, and Japan.

The NBA and WNBA have different rules on turning pro early. The NBA is going back to allowing high school graduates to turn pro in the near future.

Yeah it's usually agreed upon by the players union and owners. Just wonder what the reasoning behind it is.

The NBA and WNBA have different rules on turning pro early. The NBA is going back to allowing high school graduates to turn pro in the near future.
That might be a good thing now, although I hated it back when Spencer Haywood did it. Anything that lessens one-and-ones is desirable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT