ADVERTISEMENT

Safe to go into the waters?

FCB 2013 treble

Dec 14, 2016
A 1200 hundred pound great white shark named Ironbound transmitter has been pinging and been spotted twice off the coast of Charleston. This shark has swam over 15000 miles.
OIP.k4sROrPu09JALFUT9HdkygHaEv

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/e...swimming-off-south-carolina-shore/ar-AA1bwkdc

• Wow
Reactions: thebittertruth
All sharks do is swim so they rack up mileage. The things probably been from Nova Scotia, down the East Coast past Florida to around Cuba and back more times then we know. Maybe even snaking its way through the Caribbean. Or through all that to make its way to off the coast of Louisiana. Very cool.

I spend time the beach but rarely go in the ocean. Ankle to knee deep is about it.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
All sharks do is swim so they rack up mileage. The things probably been from Nova Scotia, down the East Coast past Florida to around Cuba and back more times then we know. Maybe even snaking its way through the Caribbean. Or through all that to make its way to off the coast of Louisiana. Very cool.

I spend time the beach but rarely go in the ocean. Ankle to knee deep is about it.
I only wade out far enough to pee,……then come back out!!!!😎

I remember surfing when I was about 23/24. We were in Garden City, it was overcast, but the waves were great! I was in the back of our group paddling back to the break and heard a big splash behind me, then looking back and seeing a tail. That ended my surfing days. Especially, after fishing hundreds on times and seeing tigers, bulls not even a half-mile offshore. Yeah, I’m good.

Any level above waist high is deep enough for a bite. Most reports are "shark bites", and not attacks. And, yes there is a difference.
Shark bite is when you are in it's environment, the water. Shark attack is when you're home and it attacks you in the shower.

I used to wade down here in Charleston a good bit for redfish. After two close calls with a couple of 10' gators, I quit doing that.

Black Tip Shark Migration, between Jan-March off Florida East Coast.
fc88e599ee0c47d3188aaae494421638--palm-beach-at-the-beach.jpg

migration.jpg

Full disclosure, i still go down to the beach about twice a year, still scuba dive, and
yes I have seen many sharks during my dives, never a Tiger/Bull (thank the Lord),, and did the Shark Dive by Stewart Cove in the Bahamas. At one point we were surrounded by no less than 50 sharks. THE MOST AWESOME EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE., Drop Mike.

Yeah this is why I don’t go much further than waist deep. Figure even if I get bit it’s likely to be a smaller one. Zero interest in that.

Yeah this is why I don’t go much further than waist deep. Figure even if I get bit it’s likely to be a smaller one. Zero interest in that.
Not uncommon for 5-6 Bulls to be in shallow water. Usually it's a case of a swimmer, bumping into a shark in turbid water.

@Harvard Gamecock In Madeira Beach, Fl. several years ago, a guy took a little dip off his boat dock on Boca Ciega Bay - on the leeward side of the barrier island that the Suncoast beaches - St. Pete, etc. - occupy. And a bull shark got him; killed him. I've seen aerial photos showing bull sharks in virtual schools near the residential shores of Tampa Bay. Makes you think.

@Harvard Gamecock In Madeira Beach, Fl. several years ago, a guy took a little dip off his boat dock on Boca Ciega Bay - on the leeward side of the barrier island that the Suncoast beaches - St. Pete, etc. - occupy. And a bull shark got him; killed him. I've seen aerial photos showing bull sharks in virtual schools near the residential shores of Tampa Bay. Makes you think.
Wow, very unfortunate.
I'm not for people to stop enjoying the beaches, as I said earlier I still go swimming/snorkeling/diving quite often, and can't imagine ever stopping.
Just want to cautionary to all,
1) Don't think that being in the shallows makes you immune,
2) Don't wear jewelry, or any thing that is shiny/reflective.
3) Don't go swimming at dusk/night (feeding time).
4) Always know your surroundings
People take precautions when they go into the woods for camping/hiking, etc., it should be no different going to the beach.

Reactions: king ward
Not uncommon for 5-6 Bulls to be in shallow water. Usually it's a case of a swimmer, bumping into a shark in turbid water.
Yeah I’m not saying there’s no risk but it’s definitely less risk. I’m not the furthest guy out in the water, but I’m not going to just hug the sand in fear either.

The tiger shark was caught and clubbed to death. Thats a big boy.

71945869-12176955-image-a-24_1686297173018.jpg
1. This may be nitpicking, but that does not look like a Tiger Shark. Side markings are not evident, and more importantly, the shark in the picture has a blunt snout, which would indicate that this is a Bull Shark.
2. My question is, how would the people on the beach know this is the exact shark that did the attack ?

Last edited:
1. This may be nitpicking, but that does not look like a Tiger Shark. Side markings are not evident, and more importantly, the shark in the picture has a blunt snout, which would indicate that this is a Bull Shark.
2. My question is, how would the people on the beach know this is the exact shark that did the attack ?
I dont think the image I posted above has the best resolution, but all the media outlets are reporting it was a tiger shark. Im not a shark expert and couldnt tell you if thats right or not other than its a really big shark.

as far as how they knew it was the exact shark, I think there was a boat headed over to rescue the man but got there too late and they somehow caught the shark immediately. They also reportedly cut the shark open to retrieve part of the mans body.

Wow, very unfortunate.
I'm not for people to stop enjoying the beaches, as I said earlier I still go swimming/snorkeling/diving quite often, and can't imagine ever stopping.
Just want to cautionary to all,
1) Don't think that being in the shallows makes you immune,
2) Don't wear jewelry, or any thing that is shiny/reflective.
3) Don't go swimming at dusk/night (feeding time).
4) Always know your surroundings
People take precautions when they go into the woods for camping/hiking, etc., it should be no different going to the beach.
Good List. I'd add not swimming at low tide when the waters are calm. I always swim within two hours of high tide in both directions (coming in/going out). Sea creatures not only don't like turbulent waters, but they also fear being beached from the pull of the tide.

I've been bitten by a shark in the calf which was painful and took awhile to heal. However, it was a far cry from stepping on a sting ray which stabbed me in the ankle. That vemon is something special. There's this warm sensation that engulfs your body which turns into extreme pain for hours. Luckily, my friend had some weed which downregulated the receptors or I would have been headed to the hospital for the big meds.

Good List. I'd add not swimming at low tide when the waters are calm. I always swim within two hours of high tide in both directions (coming in/going out). Sea creatures not only don't like turbulent waters, but they also fear being beached from the pull of the tide.

I've been bitten by a shark in the calf which was painful and took awhile to heal. However, it was a far cry from stepping on a sting ray which stabbed me in the ankle. That vemon is something special. There's this warm sensation that engulfs your body which turns into extreme pain for hours. Luckily, my friend had some weed which downregulated the receptors or I would have been headed to the hospital for the big meds.
I'm not sure where you came upon this information, but many fish are attracted to turbulent flows as long as their mechanisms for stability are sufficient.
As for sharks I've seen reef sharks not phased in the least by strong current flows (>2 knots), while we were holding on to some rocks in the fear of being swept away.
See creatures have adapted incredibly well to their environment, particularly to the daily intertidal environments. Although some may get caught in a tidal basin at low tide, there is no scientific measurable on fear factors.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Yeah, that pictures is a bullshark.

Salt water fish are most active when the tide is moving. They are in ambush mode as baitfish are flowing by.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT