ADVERTISEMENT

Safe to go into the waters?

Doesn’t matter, a shark can swim in 2 feet of water.
Exactly.
Why people continue to think that staying in shallow water is a detriment to a shark encounter is baffling to me. Sharks are quite adept at swimming in very shallow water, so more people in shallow water increases the odds of shark encounter. Pretty simple math.

In the link provided, you will see a shark between the swimmer and the shore line, and the swimmer in not even in waist deep water.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/watch-sharks-seen-swimmimng-near-daytona-beach-beachgoers

I'm not sure where you came upon this information, but many fish are attracted to turbulent flows as long as their mechanisms for stability are sufficient.
As for sharks I've seen reef sharks not phased in the least by strong current flows (>2 knots), while we were holding on to some rocks in the fear of being swept away.
See creatures have adapted incredibly well to their environment, particularly to the daily intertidal environments. Although some may get caught in a tidal basin at low tide, there is no scientific measurable on fear factors.
Anecdotal....but I've lived on IOP for 30 years and we consistently see any jellyfish, stingray or shark bites at lower tides. The lifeguards will tell you the same. Now if you choose to swim out beyond the tide/waves, that could be a different story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT