ADVERTISEMENT

Sapakoff is dead right this time.

bdblack

Mar 29, 2002
I don't always agree with the P&C sports writer, but his latest writing about the difference in the two state programs is on point. Spurrier's hi-five did make Clemson better, and since Pastides is retiring, the new President will surely know Ray Tanner better as the guy who hired Muschamp, other than the guy who won two nationals in baseball. With the retirement of his biggest fan, Ray is now on the clock. Sapakoff also relates a 4 TD Clemson win over Bama as like rubbing sea salt in the wound of our bowl blowout by UVA. Good article, long, but a worthwhile read.

Link?

How does Clemson’s win rub salt in our already ‘open/festering’ wound?

Link?

How does Clemson’s win rub salt in our already ‘open/festering’ wound?

I don't believe he, or I, used the term 'open/festering' wound, although that is an apt description for lots of us!

Actually, if you don't understand how Clemson's recent blowout of Bama makes the state of our present football program (after the UVA debacle) look even more pitiful by comparison, then neither I, nor Gene Sapakoff, should probably try to explain it to you.

Clemson went to the Whitehouse today during the government shutdown and without a staff, Trump had to order 1,000 hamburgers from McDonalds, Wendys, and Burger King and threw in some Dominoes Pizza to feed the Rednecks from Pickens County. They should have passed the Orin Hatch SARMs Act today while Dabo was there and saved the DEA a trip to Clemson's campus.

I don't always agree with the P&C sports writer, but his latest writing about the difference in the two state programs is on point. Spurrier's hi-five did make Clemson better, and since Pastides is retiring, the new President will surely know Ray Tanner better as the guy who hired Muschamp, other than the guy who won two nationals in baseball. With the retirement of his biggest fan, Ray is now on the clock. Sapakoff also relates a 4 TD Clemson win over Bama as like rubbing sea salt in the wound of our bowl blowout by UVA. Good article, long, but a worthwhile read.
I do agree with the one bolded phrase. Spurrier was resting on his laurels toward the end of that "high-five" and Dabo was on the recruiting trail outworking he and his staff's lazy asses beating his butt for recruits.

Sapakoff probably wouldn't get that either....or, even if he did, wouldn't have the guts to print it.

I do agree with the one bolded phrase. Spurrier was resting on his laurels toward the end of that "high-five" and Dabo was on the recruiting trail outworking he and his staff's lazy asses beating his butt for recruits.

Sapakoff probably wouldn't get that either....or, even if he did, wouldn't have the guts to print it
You bring up a good point. Why is it no sports writers ever want to dig deep and do a story about how terrible Junior was as RC? There's plenty of evidence there. Lord knows, they rarely miss a chance to run down our program. So why do they handle that clown with such kid gloves?

Clemson went to the Whitehouse today during the government shutdown and without a staff, Trump had to order 1,000 hamburgers from McDonalds, Wendys, and Burger King and threw in some Dominoes Pizza to feed the Rednecks from Pickens County. They should have passed the Orin Hatch SARMs Act today while Dabo was there and saved the DEA a trip to Clemson's campus.
No Roy Rogers?

You bring up a good point. Why is it no sports writers ever want to dig deep and do a story about how terrible Junior was as RC? There's plenty of evidence there. Lord knows, they rarely miss a chance to run down our program. So why do they handle that clown with such kid gloves?

Because much of the Florida media luvs SOS & Family. Call it 'Politics As Usual In The World Of Sports in The USA'

Ok. What's that got to do SC sports media? They've got plenty of material.

I dunno, but probably because the SC media guys are afraid that, if they blow the whistle on Spurrier's boy, Junior, the Florida media guys would whip their asses for screwing with SOS. Hell, it's a guess. If anyone else cares to put their 2 cents in, go for it.

I dunno, but probably because the SC media guys are afraid that, if they blow the whistle on Spurrier's boy, Junior, the Florida media guys would whip their asses for screwing with SOS. Hell, it's a guess. If anyone else cares to put their 2 cents in, go for it.
Sapakoff has never really criticized nor will he criticize Spurrier....despite Sapakoff being a UGA Bulldog. I think he is in awe of him.

Spurrier hasn't coached here in years. Nobody is going to talk about junior's terrible recruiting now. But if they were, they need to also mention Whammy's bad development of players.

It really would be nice for one of these reporters to investigate the armed robbery at Clempson last year where players broke into a player's apartment to steal a large sum of cash. And why is it that a collegiate, jobless player has large sum of cash. Or they could investigate how an illegal substance got into the bodies of 3 players and why it took an NCAA drug test to find it. Those are some things I'd like to see investigated. But, Daybo and his preaching are the hot topic now and none of them have the cahones to do it or they bust your sac so bad you become a fanboy/Herbstreit.

Wait, we complain when our media writes negative articles about us? Now we are questioning them because they didn’t write negative articles about us?

One other lesson learned from the Upstate team...positive media is a good thing for your program.

Sapakoff probably wouldn't get that either....or, even if he did, wouldn't have the guts to print it.
Still makes me angry. Staff going home at five while CU was working recruits. And they admitted they were doing it.

I don't believe he, or I, used the term 'open/festering' wound, although that is an apt description for lots of us!

Actually, if you don't understand how Clemson's recent blowout of Bama makes the state of our present football program (after the UVA debacle) look even more pitiful by comparison, then neither I, nor Gene Sapakoff, should probably try to explain it to you.

Admittedly, I have not read the article, but it seems right in line with the 'woe is us crowd'. Daydreaming about having clemson recent success instead of pushing those in charge to make us better. Again, I have not read the article.

The recent coaching changes are what I'm excited about, signing the QB is what I'm excited about....we can't do anything about Clemson until November 2019.

It’s simple to determine the UVa analogy. Clemson beat an unbeatable Bama by 28 (and it could’ve been 40+ don’t kid yourself), and we lost to a team that is better than most Gamecock fans think by 28 because we didn’t prep, watch film, practice enough. Take your pick. I will say as plain as I can. Who in the f do we think we are?! Thanks to quittin’ (while on the job) SOS, we moved significantly over .500 for our lifetime record, but still have a way to go until 700 wins. I’d like to see it someday. And that sucky Virginia? Ironically, with George Welsh’s recent passing, they mentioned they had 2 winning seasons in the 30 before he was hired, yet they’ve still won 650ish games overall. So again, who are we? We are a program that invests way too much into football, gives a coach 2 underserved raises in 365 days so he can think he doesn’t need to win EVERY game we play. That obnoxious “brand” word people throw around all the time now? Yeah it’s important when you blow off a bowl and a week later your rival wins another MNC. The implication(s) that changes be made will happen at FSU eventually, probably not Miami, try as they might, and we all know if history is an indicator what will (won’t) happen here. As I already said, the AD just rewarded crap.

Last edited:

But let's be honest, beating Spurrier on the recruiting trail was never something that was hard to do, especially with Jr. in charge of recruiting. Spurrier's biggest fault, above laziness, was nepotism and poor coaching choices.

Once Tanner talks to the New President. He'll be locked until he retires. Once the President realizes the fans are going to show up no matter what. He'll see we are a fanbase that don't care about winning the East, or a Championship.Then he'll know he got the easiest job in the Country.

Coach Muschamp arrived behind the 8 ball. Clemson was way ahead and had momentum going. Georgia finally got an offensive line and began to win big. 2 of our biggest competitors were already way ahead with better players. That made for a huge mountain to climb. This group of coaches are the best recruiters we have ever had at one time. They are signing better players imo. Will that be enough to turn the tide? The jury is still out on that one. Is there a coach out there who you gurantee can take us further?A coaching change can blow up and put you even further behind.

Coach Muschamp arrived behind the 8 ball. Clemson was way ahead and had momentum going. Georgia finally got an offensive line and began to win big. 2 of our biggest competitors were already way ahead with better players. That made for a huge mountain to climb. This group of coaches are the best recruiters we have ever had at one time. They are signing better players imo. Will that be enough to turn the tide? The jury is still out on that one. Is there a coach out there who you gurantee can take us further?A coaching change can blow up and put you even further behind.
I completely agree with you on all points.

Reactions: vacock#
He's got 2 more years guaranteed. But if he hasn't beat Kentucky by then it's time move on.

Still makes me angry. Staff going home at five while CU was working recruits. And they admitted they were doing it.

That's because we didn't/don't have an AD that will kick ass, lock the office doors and post administrators across the street from coaches' homes, and other methods to check and see if they're out on the road doing their jobs!

Because it doesn’t matter anymore! It doesn’t matter that beat them 5 times in row anymore. They have beat five times since! Look to the future my man! It feels dumb to talk about “when we beat them five times in a row”. They have TWO national championships since then.! Gotta look ahead, leave the past behind

Reactions: CCGC34
Because it doesn’t matter anymore! It doesn’t matter that beat them 5 times in row anymore. They have beat five times since! Look to the future my man! It feels dumb to talk about “when we beat them five times in a row”. They have TWO national championships since then.! Gotta look ahead, leave the past behind
I don't really understand what you were responding to. I never even mentioned Clemson (who I assumed you were referring to in your post). My point was it would be nice to remind fans of the crappy approach to recruiting Junior took. Maybe next time we hear top recruits saying they haven't heard from us for a while, we'll recognize the signs. Remember: Those who do not know their past are doomed to repeat it.

100% AGREEMENT!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT