ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday- USC Marching Band 'dress rehearsal' route in Columbia ahead of Macy's Thanksgiving Parade

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
My wife and I will be down to watch tomorrow. Hopefully there will a nice crowd. Standing right next to the band when they are playing is quite a treat.

The band has been working hard on practice for the parade and still have more work to do but this will be a big help. I talked to a band member today and they will be playing a number of songs- mostly some of their music they play at games at the statehouse after the parade.

They are also still raising money for the Macy's trip. It's an expensive trip for 375 members. My wife and I recently donated along with my in-laws (father in law majored in music at USC and was in the band decades ago). My wife and I have decided to travel to New York to see it in person this year.

You can donate on the band's link online- and donate in someone's honor or memory. They still need donations.

Before they storm New York City on Thanksgiving, the University of South Carolina Marching Band is practicing their Macy's Day Parade routine through downtown Columbia.

The “Big Apple Sneak Peek” will kick off at 2 p.m. Oct. 26.

More than 375 student musicians will march down Greene Street, starting at Pickens Street, before hooking a right on Sumter Street and ending at the State House. After the march, the band will play a free concert on the State House's lawn, according to the university.

The dress rehearsal comes ahead of the band's appearance in the 2024 Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, which kicks off early morning Nov. 28.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT