ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Floyd finally quits Board of Trustees, Governor picks Floyd's daughter to fill his role

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
Eddie Floyd, a member of the USC Boad of Trustees who graduated USC when Dwight Eisenhower was President, finally resigned his position from the USC board after serving for 40+ years.

Floyd, a member who has been seen napping at Board meetings, told the governor that he wanted his own daughter to take his place. McMaster fulfilled Floyd's wishes by quickly appointing her to the position stating, "no one else expressed interest."

Of course, no one outside of Floyd, his family, and McMaster and the governor's own advisors knew of Floyd's resignation so "interest" would have been very difficult to gauge.

McMaster, stated that this was temporary, and the legislature could choose to vote in someone else. Of course, McMaster also knows the Republican legislature is an automatic rubber-stamp for his preferences for appointed positions.

It is a certain fact that in Florence, SC there are a number of highly qualified USC graduates over the last 4 decades that would have been interested in serving in the role. Apparently, Eddie Floyd, Governor McMaster, and Floyd's daughter feel like this board position is a family inheritance.

Eddie Floyd, a member of the USC Boad of Trustees who graduated USC when Dwight Eisenhower was President, finally resigned his position from the USC board after serving for 40+ years.

Floyd, a member who has been seen napping at Board meetings, told the governor that he wanted his own daughter to take his place. McMaster fulfilled Floyd's wishes by quickly appointing her to the position stating, "no one else expressed interest."

Of course, no one outside of Floyd, his family, and McMaster and the governor's own advisors knew of Floyd's resignation so "interest" would have been very difficult to gauge.

McMaster, stated that this was temporary, and the legislature could choose to vote in someone else. Of course, McMaster also knows the Republican legislature is an automatic rubber-stamp for his preferences for appointed positions.

It is a certain fact that in Florence, SC there are a number of highly qualified USC graduates over the last 4 decades that would have been interested in serving in the role. Apparently, Eddie Floyd, Governor McMaster, and Floyd's daughter feel like this board position is a family inheritance.

"USC’s board of trustees, which traditionally has 20 members, still has three open seats."

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article294348729.html#storylink=cpy

This is why we will never be good at football and other sports. I wonder how many Board members are alum of other schools. I was told a tale long ago when I was young that we had Clemson alum in positions of power at USC and that was a main reason for our lack of success.

This is why we will never be good at football and other sports. I wonder how many Board members are alum of other schools. I was told a tale long ago when I was young that we had Clemson alum in positions of power at USC and that was a main reason for our lack of success.

You have people like @Ward Jr arguing this a good season when we are about to go 6-6.

Why would the board care to be better when the fans are excited about being below average?

I don't think this is true.

An actual problem is that the legislature doesn't pass rules prohibiting board members from serving more than 12 years.

No board member anywhere should serve more than 12 years. It is a tragedy when someone serves for 40 years. An honorable human being would step down after a period of time to let other people serve- let others with different experience serve.

We have hundreds of thousands of USC alums, and certainly have thousands that are qualified and would be willing to serve.

I don't think this is true.

An actual problem is that the legislature doesn't pass rules prohibiting board members from serving more than 12 years.

No board member anywhere should serve more than 12 years. It is a tragedy when someone serves for 40 years. An honorable human being would step down after a period of time to let other people serve- let others with different experience serve.

We have hundreds of thousands of USC alums, and certainly have thousands that are qualified and would be willing to serve.

Any idea why there are 3 open spots? Most might not want to deal with the headache.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT