ADVERTISEMENT

Scientific Survey

If you could wave a magic wand and switch conference affiliation with Clemson, would you

• move to the ACC just to watch Clemson get their arse handed to them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EssoClub2

Jul 24, 2006
If you could wave a magic wand and switch conference affiliation with Clemson, would you do it?

Honest question Esso, as a clemson fan I know you dont get tired of winning, but doesnt it get boring to watch games against crappy teams with barely half filled stadiums?
Its pretty boring for me to watch us play vandy most times, but when you guys play games every week like that it just seems it would get old fast. You guys belong in the SEC in my opinion.

Asking because you seem like a cool level headed fan of sports, even though your a tater;).

Reactions: Judson1
Honest question Esso, as a clemson fan I know you dont get tired of winning, but doesnt it get boring to watch games against crappy teams with barely half filled stadiums?
Its pretty boring for me to watch us play vandy most times, but when you guys play games every week like that it just seems it would get old fast. You guys belong in the SEC in my opinion.

Asking because you seem like a cool level headed fan of sports, even though your a tater;).

@EssoClub2 is a fairly level headed bloke. For a Tiger.

The SEC was the best thing to ever happen for USC. We are bringing in as much money as almost any other school. We are getting checks as if we were Texas or So Cal or Notre Dame. If we were still independent we would most likely compare to East Carolina.

We didnt have much success at all pre SEC but after being in the league and playing catch up for about 15 years things changed.

We had back to back NIT Championships. We had back to baseball National Championships and almost had a 3rd. We won a womens basketball National Championship. Our mens basketball team played in the NCAA Final Four. Our football team had three consecutive 11-2 seasons and had the overall #1 pick in the NFL draft. We didnt win a bowl game until 1995 and now we go bowling yearly.

We have done all of this within the last 15 years and its because of the SEC. The league is so competitive you better get it together in this league in every sport or they will chew you up and spit you out. I wouldnt change a thing other than hiring of Newton and Brad Scott. They set us back years

I wouldn't switch WITH Clemson, but I'd switch Clemson. Just go ahead and put them in the SoCon, so maybe the media could be honest about Clemson's conference schedule.

From Clemson's perspective, I get it: you guys can't control how weak the ACC is. Clemson schedules South Carolina OOC (and let's be honest...we aren't exactly helping Clemson's SOS), and usually tries to get a 2nd quality game (Auburn, ATM).

That said, as good as Clemson has been, what seems to be the boosting of ACC rankings (which of course, improves Clemson's SOS) feels entirely artificial.

Hell no. If we could go back to the 70s and just stay in the ACC to begin with I might take that however

I would say the answer is, it does get old seeing the "crappy stadiums" , I really don't think the quality of opponent and coaching is a big a difference as most in the SEC would contend. I would like nothing better than to have SC back at home in the ACC. That would be my first choice. That ship has sailed, and the SEC is never going to want Clemson in the SEC because the TV market is already captured. The best I can hope for is that Miami, FSU, Va Tech, and one of the others find their footing quickly. People here pick on Clemson's scheduling a good bit here, but TDP hasn't hidden from anyone that wants to play in kick off classics, home and home series and etc. There have been years where you hit a strong SC, another Strong SEC team and a strong FSU, VT, and Miami all in one season. I do believe that the guys in the west of the SEC have it much tougher than the East in the SEC. Most would have to agree with that , but heck Alabama doesn't shedule anybody out of conference. Anyway, I have little doubt that your fan base would be happier in the ACC than they have been in the SEC.

I wouldn’t swap with Clemson. Being in the ACC only makes sense if Clemson is still there. It would be nice to be in the same conference, especially from a scheduling standpoint. It stinks having a Power 5 OOC game already on the schedule every year.

I do think for traveling purposes being in the ACC is great. Better geographic rivalries and you can get to most of them by car. I would’ve like to be in the ACC a while back. But I think the ACC ruined itself adding Pitt, BC, and Syracuse. VT, Louisville, and Miami I get. But those others I have no interest in playing. Maryland being in there was better than Louisville in my opinion.

I voted for keep on plugging.

Look, I get BORED hearing and reading about Clem's mutilations of fellow ACC members. It's simply torture just thinking about it.

I know Clemson fans are bored stiff. That's why they come over here. They are actually sick and tired of internet inbreeding with other Taters, so they seek relief from their agony by mixing it up with their arch enemy's fans.

That's loser talk. I don't want to be good because my competition is worse than I am. I want to be the man. In order to do that you gotta beat the man. I also like the teams that we play. ACC teams are boring. Even the old traditional teams suck now. I wouldn't watch GT play Afghanistan.

If there was a football God they should move Clemson and Fla. St to the SEC and Vandy and Kentucky to the ACC. Kentucky, Duke, and UNC belong to one another in BB

Reactions: Judson1
I wouldn’t swap with Clemson. Being in the ACC only makes sense if Clemson is still there. It would be nice to be in the same conference, especially from a scheduling standpoint. It stinks having a Power 5 OOC game already on the schedule every year.

I do think for traveling purposes being in the ACC is great. Better geographic rivalries and you can get to most of them by car. I would’ve like to be in the ACC a while back. But I think the ACC ruined itself adding Pitt, BC, and Syracuse. VT, Louisville, and Miami I get. But those others I have no interest in playing. Maryland being in there was better than Louisville in my opinion.

It definitely lost its identity adding those teams. Maybe Miami but not Pitt and BC. I too like the fact theyre closer. It sucks playing in different timezones

Hell no. If we could go back to the 70s and just stay in the ACC to begin with I might take that however
This is the way I feel. It was great having those conference foes that you could hate. Don't really hate any foes in the SEC. If the ACCers weren't such A-holes USC could have gotten back in in the late 70s early 80s after the stupid admin realized what a mistake it had made. I voted for just keep chugging along.

I didn't see 'have a massive sinkhole swallow all of Pickens County' as an option in your poll. If I have a magic wand, I need all possible options on the table.

Just wondering ... How many idiots on this board went back and re-married their X?
Save your BS story for someone who cares.

Next Question!

If you could wave a magic wand and switch conference affiliation with Clemson, would you do it?
Clemson, because of its football tradition, would fit right into the SEC. Have always thought that it belonged there instead of our Gamecocks. Our football history is plain to see for anyone who bothers to look. We have been dominated by Clemson and the SEC teams as long as we have played the game.There are an abundance of speculations and excuses regarding an explanation for this unhappy fact, but in the end I have always put it to geography. We can't recruit with the big SEC teams but Clemson always seems to find a way to get the top players.

Clemson dominated the ACC, at least a number of teams such as Virginia, e.g., until Florida State saw easy pickings in the ACC and came into the conference. Now Clemson is back in its traditional role.

My wife the Georgia alum and Bulldog fan always tells me that the SEC is the best thing that ever happened to Carolina, and I think that she is right as has been pointed out in previous posts here. The national championships in baseball and women's basketball are extraordinary for Gamecock athletics.

For football, we'll see, but I personally wish we still played Wake Forest instead of Alabama and LSU.

I would say the answer is, it does get old seeing the "crappy stadiums" , I really don't think the quality of opponent and coaching is a big a difference as most in the SEC would contend. I would like nothing better than to have SC back at home in the ACC. That would be my first choice. That ship has sailed, and the SEC is never going to want Clemson in the SEC because the TV market is already captured. The best I can hope for is that Miami, FSU, Va Tech, and one of the others find their footing quickly. People here pick on Clemson's scheduling a good bit here, but TDP hasn't hidden from anyone that wants to play in kick off classics, home and home series and etc. There have been years where you hit a strong SC, another Strong SEC team and a strong FSU, VT, and Miami all in one season. I do believe that the guys in the west of the SEC have it much tougher than the East in the SEC. Most would have to agree with that , but heck Alabama doesn't shedule anybody out of conference. Anyway, I have little doubt that your fan base would be happier in the ACC than they have been in the SEC.
I like your response, but I like staying down south. Enjoy that 38 degree with 20 MPH winds at kickoff at BC tomorrow.

You lost: (A) me from the beginning as describing a survey of opinions as "scientific", and (B) your football IQ credibility by stating that, "I really don't think the quality of opponent and coaching is a [sic] big a difference as most in the SEC would contend.".

You have selective memory . clempson was suppose to leave the ACC with us back in 1971. The SEC is a far superior conference than the ACC. Let's see what clempson record would be in the SEC . ACC football is a cup cake conference Your poll is BS . You forget the 5 years in row USC beat your ass Your poll is BS . Still say clempson is cheating .$$$$ :p:p

You have selective memory . clempson was suppose to leave the ACC with us back in 1971. The SEC is a far superior conference than the ACC. Let's see what clempson record would be in the SEC . ACC football is a cup cake conference Your poll is BS . You forget the 5 years in row USC beat your ass Your poll is BS . Still say clempson is cheating .$$$$ :p:p

If they are cheating when do you think we will figure out how to do it or does Clemson fans want it more? Maybe Clemson alumni care more. Give more. Make more money. I dont know but whatever they did can we try it?

I wouldn’t mind switching for 3-5 years. For research purposes only.
I believe you would see more USC wins. Maybe even a title.
And Clemsin would no doubt lose a few more.
Maybe then some of our arguments are then validated.
I also contend Clemsin wouldn’t be what they are now had they been sec the last 10 years. They have great coaching for sure. But they wouldn’t have had all that exposure early in their build. Some of those BCS years would’ve been spent in Florida alright.... but in Orlando or Tampa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT