ADVERTISEMENT

SEC COUNTRY REPORTING BRANDON MCILWAIN

Doesn't really matter at this point does it? The kid bolted for whatever reason...But i have never known a developing young QB to never get into it with a Coach..It's part of the maturation process...Coaches have to prod and push to get the best effort from players everyday...Usually if Coaches are not challenging you, it means you suck so bad they don't think you can play

Doesn't really matter at this point does it? The kid bolted for whatever reason...But i have never known a developing young QB to never get into it with a Coach..It's part of the maturation process...Coaches have to prod and push to get the best effort from players everyday...Usually if Coaches are not challenging you, it means you suck so bad they don't think you can play
Amen.

I agree lawcal that it really doesn't matter, just seems like Brandon couldn't take the heat of being "coached up". I assume that between being a backup in baseball and football got to him. Wish him the best, just seems like a weird way to leave. If I am a scout at for baseball, makes me look and think this kid might be a problem down the road if he doesn't like what is being said.

I agree lawcal that it really doesn't matter, just seems like Brandon couldn't take the heat of being "coached up". I assume that between being a backup in baseball and football got to him. Wish him the best, just seems like a weird way to leave. If I am a scout at for baseball, makes me look and think this kid might be a problem down the road if he doesn't like what is being said.

I agree with you...I got rebuked by several posters i like for pointing out that BMac punked out on us...It appears that is exactly what happened

I think his leaving was in everybody's best interest.
You are wrong about that...We all better pray for Jake Bentley's great health...I don't know how soon Jay Urich can be ready for SEC football...But if we need to rely on Scarnecchia, heaven help us...IMHO BMac deliberately dropped us in the trick bag by quitting on us

You are wrong about that...We all better pray for Jake Bentley's great health...I don't know how soon Jay Urich can be ready for SEC football...But if we need to rely on Scarnecchia, heaven help us...IMHO BMac deliberately dropped us in the trick bag by quitting on us
That's why I would love for us to grab up Sirk from Duke. At least he has experience in the offense and can give time for Urich to learn and gain experience, rather than being thrown to the wolves if he isn't ready.

Every kid with some talent wants to play. He was passed by a player in his class which means he wouldn't see the field when the game was on the line unless someone was injured. Probably been on his mind for some time, IF there was an argument between him and his position coach/OC it gave him an out other than saying someone better beat him out for the spot. Allowed him to save a little face and maybe transfer to somewhere he can play, may go the JUCO route or may just transfer down to FCS, either way would allow him to play next fall. Maybe it works out for him and the Gamecocks.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Perry Orth has had a nice segment on the game's morning show each week as he promotes his QB camp.

He basically said the QB room with Magnus and Spurrier they looked at mistakes and would point them out where Roper tries to understand why it occurred asking questions, fully explain what to do next time and teach and Roper in only 1 year was one of his favorite coaches ever.

He said Roper gets fired up on the practice field but in the room was a teacher.

BMac has issues in baseball also. His swing has serious holes in it and is the probably reason he wasn't starting after all the accolades he brought from high school and pro scouts. I wish the best for him and his family and think what happened with his transfer was inevitable.

Reactions: Railroad Cock
Truthfully we have no clue if this is accurate or not.

However, if it is true, we are better off without him and cannot deal with that kind of immaturity from a leadership position.

Wish him all the best, honestly.

We may not, but it is hard to believe that Debo would come out and throw a teammate under the bus if it wasn't true.

Got into it with Roper at a Spring practice and quit the team... apparently he didn't like what Roper was saying to him and quit. Anybody else hear this?

https://www.seccountry.com/south-carolina/south-carolina-shocked-brandon-mcilwain-transfer
Much ado about Nothing IMO....the kid didn't just have an argument with a coach and decide to quit. that's a decision with long-term implications that takes some thought and I don't see him doing that. No the decision to leave was in already in the works......

Reactions: rogue cock
Maybe Roper told him he needed to spend more time on football to avoid making the mistake he made. I think he ends up playing baseball.

I think this has been blown out of proportion. If you read the whole reply by Deebo, he said it wasn't a big deal - just a disagreement that happens between players and coached a lot.

We should all be careful not to make assumptions about a cause and effect relationship here. Just because this disagreement happened does not mean that its the reason he left. Too much hearsay, in my opinion.

Reactions: rogue cock
I didn't realize how thin we were at QB until BMac left. We seriously might have to pull someone out of the stands if Bentley goes down.

Boom holds the strings here. I suspect he tried to get him to stay, Brandon then quit. Our coach knows that we are dead in the water without Jake.

Jay U is not going to be a starter in the SEC. sorry. Well unless he moves to TE.

McIlwain should transfer to Duke and try our Coach Roper's younger brother and Cutcliffe.

Jay Urich can QB in the SEC. Especially if Dylan Thompson, Tim Tebow, Dondrial Pinkins, Del Rio, etc have been starters. He is more talented and athletic than most of those guys and throws much better than Tebow.

I sure dont hear any players or coaches crying about his departure,not even one lil bitty oh,what a shame,he had so much promise. That tells me a lot

Reactions: jonesz21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT