ADVERTISEMENT

SEC needs to get over its fear of lawyers & let fans storm the court/field. After a big win, that`s

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
half the fun. Please don`t give me that crap about it being dangerous - you`re more likely to get hurt in an accident going to and returning from the game or falling down some stairs. If anyone was on the court when we beat Kentucky in basketball, or went on Williams-Brice when we could, you know the feeling. Look at the Syracuse fans when they just beat Duke. Hell, Clemson lets fans go on the field after every game. If you don`t want to go on the field/court, fine, but if it was that dangerous then all of the other conferences would ban it too. You cannot tell me the SEC fans are that much different - don`t buy it. I still cannot believe fans couldn`t go on Willy B after we beat #1 Bama in 2010 without being tackled by the Event staff. It looks great on TV when your fans do the storming, creates another level of excitement. Wish the SEC would get back on board and let fans be fans. If anyone starts something with someone, then arrest them. Why not let the vast majority of fans celebrate. If Ray wants to enhance the GameDay experience at Willy B., petitioning the Commish, the AD`s or whoever else passed that stupid rule to rescind it. Don`t you want to create more excitement, instead of putting a damper on it? Again, please don`t talk about it being that dangerous. Do you think the ACC, in all of it`s wisdom, would allow it? Hell no they wouldn`t. Just somebody in the SEC being afraid of a little lawsuit is my guess, and that`s a very weak argument in my opinion.

Player/coach safety, period. That much energy and a mob of fans rushing the court will almost always cause an incident. If something were to break out, it would be too late to get it under control.

Allowing it to happen, and if someone gets maimed, permanently injured or killed, that's going to be a hell of a lawsuit.

Reactions: Lakecock1
So why aren`t the other conferences doing it? NONE of them are. If it was so dangerous, the others wouldn`t allow it either. Why do you ignore this fact and just say that, like the SEC is the only conference or something?

So why aren`t the other conferences doing it? NONE of them are. If it was so dangerous, the others wouldn`t allow it either. Why do you ignore this fact and just say that, like the SEC is the only conference or something?
I couldn't agree more. Other conferences allow it!! Even teams in the SEC will occasionally break the rule and rush the field, knowing they will be fined and/or punished. I was at the Bama game in 2010 and they trotted security out with 5 min to go. They completely surrounded the field and were facing towards the fans. It just stifled the excitement of beating #1 Bama, the defending NCs!!! I figure that Gamecock fans deserve to storm the field after wins like that.

Please don`t give me that crap about it being dangerous - you`re more likely to get hurt in an accident going to and returning from the game or falling down some stairs.
I'm sure you have some scientific evidence to back up your claim. I mean, no one on here would make totally inaccurate claims to help their argument, right?

Reactions: wood90

You asked why storming the courts was banned and other posters told you reasons why the SEC instituted the ban.
If you really don't like the rule, then take it up with the SEC, but no need to argue with others posters just because they stated a reasonable response to your question

Reactions: vehemon
I remember that the pregnant wife of a Georgia assistant was injured several years ago when we beat them and rushed the field. That's a rare situation and along the lines of what they are seeking to avoid. I'm torn: I like seeing the euphoria; I would hate to be responsible for any negative outcome.

Reactions: Silverspur02
I remember that the pregnant wife of a Georgia assistant was injured several years ago when we beat them and rushed the field. That's a rare situation and along the lines of what they are seeking to avoid. I'm torn: I like seeing the euphoria; I would hate to be responsible for any negative outcome.
When did we rush the field against Georgia? Last time I can remember was 2001 football.

I'm sure you have some scientific evidence to back up your claim. I mean, no one on here would make totally inaccurate claims to help their argument, right?
Bottom line, other conferences allow it. Other conferences let fans storm the field. They are willing to take the chance that something bad could happen. Fans can get a little crazy at times, but it's not in the same universe as European or English soccer games. I think it's worth the risk.

half the fun. Please don`t give me that crap about it being dangerous - you`re more likely to get hurt in an accident going to and returning from the game or falling down some stairs. If anyone was on the court when we beat Kentucky in basketball, or went on Williams-Brice when we could, you know the feeling. Look at the Syracuse fans when they just beat Duke. Hell, Clemson lets fans go on the field after every game. If you don`t want to go on the field/court, fine, but if it was that dangerous then all of the other conferences would ban it too. You cannot tell me the SEC fans are that much different - don`t buy it. I still cannot believe fans couldn`t go on Willy B after we beat #1 Bama in 2010 without being tackled by the Event staff. It looks great on TV when your fans do the storming, creates another level of excitement. Wish the SEC would get back on board and let fans be fans. If anyone starts something with someone, then arrest them. Why not let the vast majority of fans celebrate. If Ray wants to enhance the GameDay experience at Willy B., petitioning the Commish, the AD`s or whoever else passed that stupid rule to rescind it. Don`t you want to create more excitement, instead of putting a damper on it? Again, please don`t talk about it being that dangerous. Do you think the ACC, in all of it`s wisdom, would allow it? Hell no they wouldn`t. Just somebody in the SEC being afraid of a little lawsuit is my guess, and that`s a very weak argument in my opinion.

psy, 4get the meds this am:) field & court 4 current athletes not one time tballers...

That fits; it was during the Holtz era. Does it matter?
You said 'several years ago', not 15+ I wanted to make sure my memory was right. :)

Heck, the only time I ever remember running onto the floor/field at a sporting event was at a basketball game in high school. A massive fight broke out in the stands during the middle of the game and the only place we could go that seemed safe was onto the floor. So we ended up with a bunch of fans and the teams standing on the court watching the mayhem that was taking place in the bleachers. I don't think that game was ever completed. The fight migrated into the parking lot (some guy got thrown through a plate glass window) and the police came and carted a bunch of folks away. We stuck around until it was safe to go back to our cars.

So no one, not nobody, has answered the question - why is the SEC the only conference with this rule? Why do the other conferences allow it if it`s so dangerous? Everyone throws in a comment and no one answers those questions. I surmise no one does because it doesn`t make sense for one conference not to allow something every other conference not only allows, but perhaps relishes in. Increases excitement at the basketball games, that`s for sure. With the SEC behind the other conferences in basketball, it looks like they would do anything they can to promote excitement, not to stifle it instead, plus punish the schools of the fans that get excited after a big W!

Anyone else on here at the game where we went 1-21 and tore down the goal posts? I think it's part of the declaration of human rights... life, liberty, and to storm the field when your team wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT