ADVERTISEMENT

SEC/South Carolina WBB attendance

It’s Women’s basketball - outside of USC, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Baylor and may be a couple more no one else really cares.

Does anyone ever refuse to buy cheaper tickets outside and instead buy from the ticket booth to keep the attendance figures up (assuming you don’t already have any tickets)?
Umm...if there are tickets for sale outside (I assume you mean scalpers and/or fans selling leftovers) haven't those tickets already been sold by the university to SOMEONE?

Umm...if there are tickets for sale outside (I assume you mean scalpers and/or fans selling leftovers) haven't those tickets already been sold by the university to SOMEONE?

Yes. However, if you buy another ticket there’s one more seat that can be counted. Just wondering.

Reactions: Jon Snow
Yes. However, if you buy another ticket there’s one more seat that can be counted. Just wondering.

Attendance data doesn't factor in how much a ticket costs, or where it has been bought. It only counts bought tickets, period. If someone refuses to buy a ticket "outside", and instead buys a ticket at the booth, then the count is two (2) tickets sold, for an attendance figure of two (2 - one ticket bought at the booth, plus one other ticket bought previously from either the booth or online). If someone re-buys a ticket "outside" - from someone who already bought a ticket earlier, or from a scalper - then that counts as one (1) in attendance. The same ticket was bought once, then traded down the line.

If people are buying bulk numbers of tickets due to the (perceived) low cost of the tickets for CWBB games just to keep the attendance numbers at a high level, then I guess that would show out with reportedly high game attendance every game, while there are tons of empty seats.

With the Gamecock WBB program however, our high in-game attendance is usually associated with high numbers of people in the seats, at least in the lower levels. We have typically been around 10K-11K season attendance per game the seasons we've been leading the nation, and I think the lower levels hold around 10K-11K of the total 18K arena capacity. So I would imagine that this method of "cheating" the attendance numbers is not being deployed......

It’s Women’s basketball - outside of USC, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Baylor and may be a couple more no one else really cares.
I'll bet every AD (and most college presidents) would like to lead the country in attendance in any sport. Football and MBB would obviously be their first and second choices, but WBB would probably be third.

I'll bet every AD (and most college presidents) would like to lead the country in attendance in any sport. Football and MBB would obviously be their first and second choices, but WBB would probably be third.
Absolutely! It also matters to the recruits. The top 10 recruits generally want to play in front of full houses.

Reactions: Gamekem
How many people on this board would care at all about WBB if you were even slightly competitive in football?

How many people on this board would care at all about WBB if you were even slightly competitive in football?
I would, and I'm sure thousands of others would also. People don't attend WBB only because football is disappointing; our attendance was growing while Spurrier was still here.

Reactions: Lou219 and Gamekem
I would, and I'm sure thousands of others would also. People don't attend WBB only because football is disappointing; our attendance was growing while Spurrier was still here.
Exactly, attendance was steadily increasing during 11-2 seasons in football because our WBB was starting to regularly make the NCAA tournament and I think a combination of the first sweet 16 run plus hometown superstar A'ja Wilson joining the team really peaked the interest in Columbia and it stuck ever since.

Reactions: SCcocks4ever
Still waiting for the National Championship trophy - Emmert have you forgotten? Or did that season just not count.

WBB under Coach Staley started being competitive on a conference and national stage during the 2011-12 (25-10, 10-6 NCAAT Sweet Sixteen), 2012-13 (25-8, 11-5, NCAAT 2nd Rd.), and 2013-14 seasons (29-5, 14-2 1st ever SEC reg. season title, NCAAT 1st Seed, Sweet Sixteen) seasons - the same fall seasons CFB went 11-2 and finished ranked in the national top 10 each time.

Those same seasons saw tremendous improvement in season attendance for WBB:

2011-12: 3,139 (35th nationally)
2012-13: 3,952 (26th nationally, 3rd largest increase from previous year)
2013-14: 6,371 (10th nationally, 1st largest increase from previous year)

Of course, the next year (2014-15) would be our 1st year leading the nation in attendance with 12,293 per home game, and we would lead the nation again in largest increase of attendance over the previous year.

So while these statistics do not indicate the interest of those who post on this particular board, they totally debunk your position regarding the overall Gamecock Nation of fans in regard to their interest of other USC sports during major sports success.

And the late season portions of 2011-12 and 2012-13 also involved the 3rd consecutive year the baseball program reached the CWS, and reached the Supers against UNC, so there were quite a lot of success all around during this period, and we were still growing in attendance for WBB substantially, just the same....

As a fan-base, we generally provide strong support for all sports if they are competitive. We are also among national leaders in attendance for softball and women's soccer, as well. You'd know these things if you were a South Carolina Gamecock fan, instead of a troll......

Still waiting for the National Championship trophy - Emmert have you forgotten? Or did that season just not count.

Last season did not count. No one played for the championship, so no one deserves to win the championship. Keep waiting.....

Dawn built it slowly and now has tremendous fan support. Men’s BB and FB should take note. If you build a winner. SC fans WILL show.

No tournament - no championship.

We can hang a big banner that says something like:

2020 #1

but there will be no NCAA championship trophy.

No tournament - no championship.

We can hang a big banner that says something like:

2020 #1

but there will be no NCAA championship trophy.
I'm okay with that or something similar. There needs to be some recognition of the season that the Woman's basketball had last year. I agree there is no championship without winning the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT