ADVERTISEMENT

SEC WBB peek ahead at next year

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
This is going to hopefully be an ongoing look at each team. Coaching changes, transfers in and out, seniors opting to come back and incoming recruiting class. First team up

Arkansas
Graduating Seniors
Chelsa Dungee starter, WNBA
Amber Ramirez, Starter, has stated she will return
Destiny Slocum, starter, WNBA
Taylah Thomas, starter, transferring to Texas Tech
Jailyn Mason and Macy Weaver little used seniors will graduate
Destinee McGhee freshman is also transferring out

So six players heading out

Recruiting Class
Jersey Wolfenbarger 5* 6’5” guard!!!! Star of the class
Emrie Ellis 6’3” F unranked
Ashlyn Sage 6’2” W unranked
Samara Spencer 5’7” G unranked

Transferring In
Sasha Goforth G Oregon St 6’1” was a top 10 recruit in her class averagaged 12ppg and 4rpg

Big losses but talent coming in, getting bigger and they needed that but hard to replace Dungee and Slocum.

Last edited:
For USC, their biggest obstacle may be themselves. Yes, the SEC will put together a half dozen top 25 teams like always, but with all 5 starters coming back and 4 McDonalds High School All-Americans coming in, the biggest questions for USC will be:
1) How many of the freshmen will be ready for immediate impact on team? And will they be OK with coming off the bench if not starting?
2) Will returning starters be OK with possibly losing minutes or starting job to freshmen?

If the staff can keep everybody happy, including current bench players who will be expected to contribute (Amihere, Littleton, Russell), this team will be loaded, similar to 2015 where you had players like A'ja Wilson and Alaina Coates coming off the bench! That's a good problem.

Hope it works out!

For USC, their biggest obstacle may be themselves. Yes, the SEC will put together a half dozen top 25 teams like always, but with all 5 starters coming back and 4 McDonalds High School All-Americans coming in, the biggest questions for USC will be:
1) How many of the freshmen will be ready for immediate impact on team? And will they be OK with coming off the bench if not starting?
2) Will returning starters be OK with possibly losing minutes or starting job to freshmen?

If the staff can keep everybody happy, including current bench players who will be expected to contribute (Amihere, Littleton, Russell), this team will be loaded, similar to 2015 where you had players like A'ja Wilson and Alaina Coates coming off the bench! That's a good problem.

Hope it works out!
Dawn has publicly stated more than twice that the incoming class was told they might not start til their Jr. year. The precedent was set with A’ja. She only started one game her freshman year. Whether the incoming class believes her is another question....

The talent exodus in the conference is massive, so I see a lot of playing time to go around. A question I have about the Fr. is how they will view PT. Play within the game plan? Or try and use it as me me me time to score.

Another hunch I have is that DS will try to take on the world in noncon. UCONN, Clemson, and NC State already on the schedule. Also we will be in the Battle for Atlantis tourney. Big 12 challenge, Baylor is only team that makes sense? I believe we still have game with Duke on the books. We also were supposed to open last season with Oregon, is that still on. S.Dak. Also may owe us a game? Others?

I'm sure these freshmen looked at the roster before they committed. They knew what SC had so expecting to start from the gate shouldn't be an issue. We should have the same starting 5 with the younguns coming off the bench. The only starter who might get switched out is Saxton - and that depends on how Aimhere looks when she comes back.

Last edited:
Not many seniors returning in the SEC (though, I think they still have the option to return, if they're not drafted and there is a spot on the roster for them. Someone can correct me, if I'm wrong). Maybe because USC is such a prohibitive favorite to win the conference, the seniors at the other schools don't have much incentive to return.

A lot of seniors are returning at schools with a shot at a conference title and even national title (UCONN, Maryland, NC State). One huge advantage we have next year is the ability to compete for a national title AND develop our freshmen.

Not many seniors returning in the SEC (though, I think they still have the option to return, if they're not drafted and there is a spot on the roster for them. Someone can correct me, if I'm wrong)
You are correct they can return if undrafted - thank u covid.;)

I won't be surprise if a few Georgia seniors return. I only see Stati getting drafted of the 4 of them

The projected depth should go like this:

1. (PG):

5-7 Sr. D. Henderson

5-8 Fr. R. Johnson

5-9 Sr. D. Littleton

5-8 Jr. O. Thompson

2. (SG):

5-9 Jr. Z. Cooke

6-0 Fr. S. Rivers

6-1 So. E. Russell

5-9 Sr. D. Littleton

5-8 Jr. O. Thompson

3.(SF/W):

6-1 Jr. B. Beal

5-11 Fr. A. Hall

6-1 So. E. Russell

6-0 Fr. S. Rivers

4. (F):

6-2 Sr. V. Saxton

6-3 Fr. S. Feagin

6-4 Jr. L. Amihere

6-1 Sr. E. Wesolek

5. (C/P):

6-5 Jr. A. Boston

6-4 Jr. L. Amihere

6-3 Fr. S. Feagin

6-1 Sr. E. Wesolek

I agree with others that the incoming freshmen most likely will not earn starting jobs over veteran starters, but if they make immediate impacts they will still get ample playing time off the bench of upwards of 20 mpg to above.

An example of this may be when Coates and then Wilson joined the team: Elem Ibiam won (and rightfully earned) the starting role at the 5 in Coates' freshman season in 13-14, but only averaged 23.4 mpg to allow Coates to play 19.6 mpg at the spot (there were a few brief instances where both were on the floor at the same time). Yet Coates averaged more ppg and rpg that season than Ibiam did.

For the next season in 14-15, Wilson was now on the team, and she and Coates continued to come off the bench. Welch, who was now rotating with Wilson, had averaged 30.0 mpg the previous 2 seasons, but averaged 26.3 mpg that season, and Ibiam's average dropped down even more to just 16.3 mpg, despite being the starter at the 5 all season.

Wilson was the 2nd leading scorer that season after Mitchell, and Coates was the 3rd leading scorer - both were the top two leading shot-blockers, and Coates and Wilson had the 1 and 2 rebounding averages for the team, respectively. So here is a great example of starts not mattering so much as minutes played.

Our incoming freshmen won't even have to start games to make great impacts to the games. The great thing here is, Henderson and Cooke will have talented reserves to spell them in games that shouldn't impede the game's production, Beal and Saxton will continue to have reserves to push them even if Grissett leaves via graduation, and Boston and Amihere will have a third option in Feagin at the 4 & 5. This should help Boston since she seems to get worn down so much in games - perhaps now she can stay fresher late in games when her poise will be needed so much.....

4. (F):

6-2 Sr. V. Saxton

6-3 Fr. S. Feagin

6-4 Jr. L. Amihere

6-1 Sr. E. Wesolek

5. (C/P):

6-5 Jr. A. Boston

6-4 Jr. L. Amihere

6-3 Fr. S. Feagin

6-1 Sr. E. Wesolek
I would list Beal at forward as well, certainly ahead of Wesolek. I think coach would have used Brea at the 4 spot more last season, but we lacked the wing depth for her to make that move. For instance: We really needed Beal on Jones against Stanford, but who was going to guard Hull? (Coach ended up moving Brea on to Jones anyway and she did well enough to allow us to make a run at the end).

Next year, with Rivers, Hall and an improved Russell, she'll have more flexibility.

I like Thompsons ability to shoot but its getting to the point if she wants any type of college career she may need to consider dropping down a level.

Reactions: Brace1
5-11 Fr. A. Hall. I've seen highlights of her the staff needs to turn her into defense machine. - so we won't get caught into another situation like we did against Stanford.

If I can remember correctly Tomson was going to a DII school but, coach snatched her up for her 3pt shot making ability, which she has rarely gotten a chance to show

Last edited:
5-11 Fr. A. Hall. I've seen highlights of her the staff needs to turn her into defense machine. - so we won't get caught into another situation like we did against Stanford.

If I can remember correctly Tomson was going to a DII school but, coach snatched her up for her 3pt shot making ability, which she has rarely gotten a chance to show
I thought Thompson had an offer from Georgia Tech.

Next team up

Alabama

Graduating going pro

Jasmine Walker: first round pick huge loss

Transfer portal out
Ariyah Copland: Center, starter to LSU Big loss
Jordan Lewis: PG, starter, big loss
Destiny Rice: sixth woman will be missed
Keyara Jones: Barely played
De’Sha Benjamin: Barely played
Alana Busby-Dunphy: Barely played

Transfer portal in
JaMaya Mingo-Young: G from Miss st. She will be an instant starter.
Khyla Wade-Warren: from Texas Tech F who got very little playing time

Recruiting class

Only one signed

91Kayla Blackshear, F
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100
POS RANK F #15HT 6-1HS Lake Highland Prep (FL)

Team going from second round in NCAA to can we not be a first day SEC Tourney play in game⬇️

Last edited:
Reactions: Conway Gamecock
doubt we lose a game next year.

UCONN @ home AND also possibly on a neutral site as well as NC State on the road. We may also draw Baylor in Big 12 Challenge. Those would be 4 games I could not just automatically put in the win column.
In conference 16-0. UT could give a close game, maybe. USC and the 13 dwarves next year

UCONN @ home AND also possibly on a neutral site as well as NC State on the road. We may also draw Baylor in Big 12 Challenge. Those would be 4 games I could not just automatically put in the win column.
In conference 16-0. UT could give a close game, maybe. USC and the 13 dwarves next year
South Carolina will not face UConn in the Bahamas tournament. They are in separate brackets with a winner for each bracket.

Reactions: winloseortie
Next team up

Alabama

Graduating going pro

Transfer portal out

Transfer portal in

Recruiting class

Only one signed

91Kayla Blackshear, F
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100

Team going from second round in NCAA to can we not be a first day SEC Tourney play in game⬇️

More of a rebuild for Kristy Curry, then a reload. Walker, Lewis, and Copeland represented 66% of the Tide's scoring, 58% of rebounding, and 80% of shot-blocking. Both Copeland and Walker were 6-3 bigs that will leave a huge hole in the paint for Bama....

So it’s a round robin within groups?

We've played in various tournament formats in the past: last season (2019-20) we won the Paradise Jam "championship" simply by beating Baylor , where we had to hurry and score the final basket at the final buzzer, to win based on "point differential". Without that final basket, we would've beaten Baylor in our head-to-head game, but still lost the "title" to Baylor based on total points scored in the tournament (we lost to Indiana earlier, Baylor beat Indiana then lost to us).

But we've also played in tournaments where there were "brackets", and even winning out just won our individual bracket, but there was a winning team of the other bracket too. I don't know how this tournament will be - sounds like a bracket format with no true overall winner.....

Last edited:
Reactions: winloseortie
Next team up

Alabama

Graduating going pro

Transfer portal out

Transfer portal in

Recruiting class

Only one signed

91Kayla Blackshear, F
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100

Bama's tournament game against Maryland was an embarrassment. I thought Maryland was going to win it all after watching that game. Looks like Bama may have had some internal issues.

So it’s a round robin within groups?
Not sure how it will work but I read on UConn’s board that we are not allowed to play each other due to contractual agreements with our home/away series unless we were to meet in the NCAA tournament. So that is why we are in separate brackets.

Not sure how it will work but I read on UConn’s board that we are not allowed to play each other due to contractual agreements with our home/away series unless we were to meet in the NCAA tournament. So that is why we are in separate brackets.
Copied from The Boneyard

Two different groups of four. Everybody plays three games. Each group has a champion based on best record or tiebreakers.

Wow, kinda surprised by this. This WNBA draft class is kinda weak, I think this is the year to go pro if you're not already projected to be a first round pick for this year. Otherwise the chances of getting drafted diminishing a lot more next year.
Yep! Why do you think Collier's running for the hills this year.LOL

With a weak draft class this is a good year to try to go pro. But, with the talent hanging around the league like they are you can get drafted and still get cut depending on what team you land on (Stati would've been good on the Aces though). Why not go back to school and make another run for a ring or rings.

Maori Davenport should be in a good place to help the team this year.

Yep! Why do you think Collier's running for the hills this year.LOL

With a weak draft class this is a good year to try to go pro. But, with the talent hanging around the league like they are you can get drafted and still get cut depending on what team you land on (Stati would've been good on the Aces though). Why not go back to school and make another run for a ring or rings.

Maori Davenport should be in a good place to help the team this year.
Oh yeah for sure, I don't expect many to make a roster this season but getting drafted is a good way to increase your salary potential overseas.

Reactions: Milks26
Next team

Auburn

Good news
•new coach Johnnie Harris appears to be a winning choice

Bad news

EVERYTHING ELSE

Best player Unique Thompson is gone

Rest of the roster from a winless SEC team returns intact. Honesty Scott-Grayson is only player who is SEC caliber. If they win 3 or 4 SEC games Harris should be SEC COY. More likely they will play Vandy to see which team is 1-15 or 0-16

Staying in the West

LSU- lots of moving pieces

Transfer portal OUT
Young sixth man and 3rd leading scorer
Trasi Starter 4th leading scorer
Thompson DNP
Seay part time starter 5ppg
Ayers very limited minutes

Graduating not coming back (yet)
Rakell Spencer starter, erratic scorer, good defender

Transfer Portal IN
Ariyah Copeland 15 & 9 impact PF
Autumn Newby 7ppg as a Fr. sat out Soph with injury. Lost last season at Vandy due to shutdown. Was looking to be a double digit scorer

Extra eligibility
Pointer 1st team SEC pg
Aiguwa Big 6’5” center capable of averaging double double, good post defender
Jailin Cherry part time starter, good defender, not much of a scorer

Recruiting Class
Grace Hall 6’2” F 4* star of the class
Logan McNeil 6’3” PF 3*
Toni’s Ware pg 3*

LSU has gone from being a total rebuild to an NCAA team. Starting lineup
Pointer PG
Cherry G
Newby SF
Copeland PF
Aifuwa C

Bench: Guards Payne, Shematsi, Davis. Forward maybe Fr Hall
Solid starting lineup with iffy bench. Fargas is a marvelous tactical coach. Master at a defensive game plan and walk it up offensive style. They are always a pain in the ass to play even if you have superior talent, case in point is our games with them the last two seasons

I don't believe it's official yet that players can transfer within the conference without having to sit. The ACC voted that players could. The SEC hasn't yet. (Of course grad transfers can play immediately as usual.) Is it a given the conference is going to relax that rule?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT