ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Women's Hoops Honors

JasonScottinSC

Jul 1, 2010
Congrats to Dawn Staley on being SEC Coach of the Year! (4th time?)
Aliyah Boston - SEC Freshman of the Year/Defensive Player of the Year, First Team All-SEC, All-Freshmen Team
Ty Harris - First Team All-SEC
Kiki Herbert Harrigan - 2nd Team All-SEC
Zia Cooke - All-Freshmen Team

Congrats! Now let's go win the tournament!

Ty Harris was most deserving candidate for POY! Coaches ought to be able to look past scoring.

To be fair, Howard did make the all defensive team. So the coaches did look past scoring, to some extent. Of course I agree you with that Ty Harris should have won.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Ty Harris was most deserving candidate for POY! Coaches ought to be able to look past scoring.

When she isn't playing in a lot of the games in the fourth, it works against her in that regard. But, I guarantee you, she is perfectly content on playing on such a dominant team-first group. Hope they can add the SECT to their resumes this week! Go Cocks!

That's what I'm talking about handle your business. We all knew who was going to be the SEC Freshie of the Yr - but nice to see it still happen

Congrats to all!

Was perfect on POY, DPOY, FOY, and all freshman team.
Had Ayanna Mitchell instead of N’dea Jones on 1st team.
Was 4 for 6 on all defensive team missed on Q Morrison and Faustine Aifuwa. How Brea Beal was left off is criminal.
Had no clue on 6th woman
Did not even bother choosing COY because, Duh, how obvious was that.

Last edited:
SEC Tournament should be fun. Obviously USC is the team to beat in the tournament after going 16-0 in the league for the second time in program history. That being said...
Day 1- #13Auburn vs #12Vandy. Somewhat interesting as both had some interesting games in the last couple of weeks (Auburn has played well down the stretch, lost in OT to Miss. State, beat Mizzou on the road, and lost a heartbreaker by 1 to Tennessee, while Vandy somehow beat Kentucky to close things out.) I like Auburn here with Unique Thompson a walking double double and Daisa Alexander is a tough guard.
#14Ole Miss vs #11Mizzou - Ole Miss is just bad. No talent (some injuries too). They've had a few "almosts" this year and the sentimental side of me would like to see them win for no other reason than to send Missouri home early. Mizzou is a little better and should win.

Day 2 - #9Georgia/#8Alabama - Bama may be the hottest team in the SEC right now (other than USC). They won 4 straight including road wins at #9 Miss. State and #12 Texas A&M. They don't have anyone who will "wow" you, but Jasmine Walker has been shooting well and Jordan Lewis can score. I like UGA coach Joni Taylor a lot, but I say Bama here.

AU/VU winner vs #5 Arkansas. Arkansas wins. Too many shooters. Amber Ramirez and Alexis Tolefree are the 2 best outside shooters in the league (#1 and #2 in 3pt% and #1 and #3 in threes made. Dungee hasn't been as consistent, but still a dangerous player. Arkansas also is very adept at getting points from the foul line and they get there a lot.

#10 Florida vs. #7LSU - Florida isn't very good but they've had games where they keep it close. Kiara Smith can be a tough guard and freshman Lavender Briggs isn't too shabby. LSU hasn't been the same since losing Ayana Mitchell went down with season-sending injury. LSU is still the better team, but LSU has not played well down the stretch so I wouldn't be surprised with an upset here.

#6 Tennessee vs. MO/Ole Miss winner. Doesn't matter. Tennessee wins. Rennia Davis is really good.

DAY 3 FRIDAY
#1 USC vs. GA/AL Winner: USC is the better team. You know our players. Both AL/GA are scrappy, especially Bama, but USC should pull away. USC beat both teams on the road this year.

#4 Texas A&M vs. likely Arkansas: Fun match up. A&M beat Arkansas in Fayetteville back in game 1 of SEC play. Could be another shootout here, but I don't think Arkansas plays enough defense and A&M is better inside and should get high percentage shots with Ciera Johnson and Ndea Jones. Of course A&M's Chennedy Carter is capable of going off on a given night. I think A&M got better as a team when Carter missed some games earlier, and I think that helps them now.

#2 Miss State with Fla/LSU winner. Miss State has been "disappointing" down the stretch but should win here. After seeing how tough they played USC in Columbia, I thought State could be another Final Four contender. Jordan Danberry is great at driving to the basket and getting to the foul line. The young players Jackson & Carter are very good forwards. State is capable of getting all the way to Sunday and even capable of winning the tournament, but they'll have to play better than they have in the last two weeks. On paper, still very dangerous.

#3 Kentucky likely vs Tennessee. Kentucky had a head scratching loss to Vandy to close out the regular season. Rhyne Howard was the SEC Player of the Year and she can do it all. Kentucky may depend on her too much, but she embraces that role. Watching her and Tennessee's Rennia Davis on the floor at the same time will be fun. Tennessee has more size, but I think Kentucky is more athleticism. I think Kentucky can get hot and win here.

As for the rest of the tournament....someone can take it from here.

SEC Tournament should be fun. Obviously USC is the team to beat in the tournament after going 16-0 in the league for the second time in program history. That being said...
Day 1- #13Auburn vs #12Vandy. Somewhat interesting as both had some interesting games in the last couple of weeks (Auburn has played well down the stretch, lost in OT to Miss. State, beat Mizzou on the road, and lost a heartbreaker by 1 to Tennessee, while Vandy somehow beat Kentucky to close things out.) I like Auburn here with Unique Thompson a walking double double and Daisa Alexander is a tough guard.
#14Ole Miss vs #11Mizzou - Ole Miss is just bad. No talent (some injuries too). They've had a few "almosts" this year and the sentimental side of me would like to see them win for no other reason than to send Missouri home early. Mizzou is a little better and should win.

Day 2 - #9Georgia/#8Alabama - Bama may be the hottest team in the SEC right now (other than USC). They won 4 straight including road wins at #9 Miss. State and #12 Texas A&M. They don't have anyone who will "wow" you, but Jasmine Walker has been shooting well and Jordan Lewis can score. I like UGA coach Joni Taylor a lot, but I say Bama here.

AU/VU winner vs #5 Arkansas. Arkansas wins. Too many shooters. Amber Ramirez and Alexis Tolefree are the 2 best outside shooters in the league (#1 and #2 in 3pt% and #1 and #3 in threes made. Dungee hasn't been as consistent, but still a dangerous player. Arkansas also is very adept at getting points from the foul line and they get there a lot.

#10 Florida vs. #7LSU - Florida isn't very good but they've had games where they keep it close. Kiara Smith can be a tough guard and freshman Lavender Briggs isn't too shabby. LSU hasn't been the same since losing Ayana Mitchell went down with season-sending injury. LSU is still the better team, but LSU has not played well down the stretch so I wouldn't be surprised with an upset here.

#6 Tennessee vs. MO/Ole Miss winner. Doesn't matter. Tennessee wins. Rennia Davis is really good.

DAY 3 FRIDAY
#1 USC vs. GA/AL Winner: USC is the better team. You know our players. Both AL/GA are scrappy, especially Bama, but USC should pull away. USC beat both teams on the road this year.

#4 Texas A&M vs. likely Arkansas: Fun match up. A&M beat Arkansas in Fayetteville back in game 1 of SEC play. Could be another shootout here, but I don't think Arkansas plays enough defense and A&M is better inside and should get high percentage shots with Ciera Johnson and Ndea Jones. Of course A&M's Chennedy Carter is capable of going off on a given night. I think A&M got better as a team when Carter missed some games earlier, and I think that helps them now.

#2 Miss State with Fla/LSU winner. Miss State has been "disappointing" down the stretch but should win here. After seeing how tough they played USC in Columbia, I thought State could be another Final Four contender. Jordan Danberry is great at driving to the basket and getting to the foul line. The young players Jackson & Carter are very good forwards. State is capable of getting all the way to Sunday and even capable of winning the tournament, but they'll have to play better than they have in the last two weeks. On paper, still very dangerous.

#3 Kentucky likely vs Tennessee. Kentucky had a head scratching loss to Vandy to close out the regular season. Rhyne Howard was the SEC Player of the Year and she can do it all. Kentucky may depend on her too much, but she embraces that role. Watching her and Tennessee's Rennia Davis on the floor at the same time will be fun. Tennessee has more size, but I think Kentucky is more athleticism. I think Kentucky can get hot and win here.

Always enjoy your thoughtful posts! You do your homework and it shows!

DAY 3 FRIDAY

UK and MISS ST In semis. I think St has more size and depth and unless Howard goes off AND a second scorer shows up ST wins.

Ark vs TAMU is a toss up. I would prefer to play Ark. It is a better matchup for us and it would be their third game in three days. I think their fast pace outside shooters would be blunted.

Championship game..... I don’t think St can duplicate their offensive performance and I think we are in Vic’s head.
If it’s UK, we are better but though I dislike Mitchell’s personality he is a solid coach. They see us so often he comes up with good game plans and their hate for us is powerful. We win but ugly

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT