ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question: What is the reasoning for believing in Ray Tanner as an AD?

Find me a P-5 school that did NOT extend the Head Football Coach's contract and was not on the hot seat. I've asked this question at least 10 times and no one has come up with one.

It is normal practice to extend the coaches contract annually. It you don't, it get used against you in recruiting...because that is a coach on the way out the door.

Even Clemson extended Bowden's contract the year before they fired him mid-year.

What about the AD?

It's not an easy search. :) But I'm sure it happens....Why would an article like that exist otherwise?
As I've said....have never seen one, unless the school knew the coach was being let go. Read a coach's contract on that level....many have roll-over provisions in the document itself. But it is so commonplace that if you don't extend a contract, you are sending a signal to others that is used against you.

Ha! Based on what? Our conference championships or record against Clemson? Man ,you a hoot.
Based on raising the seed money for all the projects that have been and currently are being built and getting those projects planned, started and completed. Since he has been in the AD chair, there has been almost constant improvement in the athletic facilities.

Also our other sports have been winning a lot, especially in women's sports.

As I've said....have never seen one, unless the school knew the coach was being let go. Read a coach's contract on that level....many have roll-over provisions in the document itself. But it is so commonplace that if you don't extend a contract, you are sending a signal to others that is used against you.

Given that's true, what a ridiculous racket. In a perfect world, the contract would be a small base - maybe 800K - and then be on performance. Beat UGA at UGA - 500K. Beat UK at home - 250K. Get shutout by UVA - clean the slate.

Given that's true, what a ridiculous racket. In a perfect world, the contract would be a small base - maybe 800K - and then be on performance. Beat UGA at UGA - 500K. Beat UK at home - 250K. Get shutout by UVA - clean the slate.
I don't disagree....but that's not the world we live in.

Tanner would be a good Director of Athletics facilities. In my opinion, he doesn't have the stature or experience to run a major university athletics program. He doesn't put the right people in the right places. His communication skills are lacking. He doesn't have the vision for success that is needed. If he does, what is it? But, I will say it again:

Ray Tanner Is A Good Man!

Ha! Based on what? Our conference championships or record against Clemson? Man ,you a hoot.
Your post shows you don't have a complete understanding of everything an athletic director does.

Based on raising the seed money for all the projects that have been and currently are being built and getting those projects planned, started and completed. Since he has been in the AD chair, there has been almost constant improvement in the athletic facilities.

Also our other sports have been winning a lot, especially in women's sports.
Since we got the facilities the rest will follow...right? Guess we'll know in a couple years.

Good point. We've never used wins and losses as a metric for our athletic directors and that's worked fine.
It's worked fine for Tanner. Under his watch we have a final four for the men and a women's basketball national title. We had a super regional in baseball and women's softball. There's also soccer and tennis and the list goes on.

He is continually being lambasted on this board for things that simply aren't true.
Okay, I'll just focus on things that are undeniable.
1. Football. When Tanner took over, Spurrier had the program ready to reach it's peak. 4 years later, things completely bottomed out. The coaching search was a mess. I don't much care WHY it was a mess. It was embarrassing. Now, in 2019, we finally opened the football ops building.. several years after the truly serious schools. In the meantime, recruiting rankings suggest they have widened the gap between them and us.
2. Basketball. I don't blame Ray for where basketball is. I will blame him if next year is another tournament miss AND Frank and his staff return. I'll be okay with Frank, but he needs to make changes if next year sucks again.
Baseball. Do we really need to go through this again? To everyone who says "Holbrook was the obvious choice", I say "try living in the real world." No one else with a top 5 program would hire a life long assistant with zero head coaching experience. I don't care what kind of promises Ray made to get Holbrook to leave chapel Hill.

Okay, I'll just focus on things that are undeniable.
1. Football. When Tanner took over, Spurrier had the program ready to reach it's peak. 4 years later, things completely bottomed out. The coaching search was a mess. I don't much care WHY it was a mess. It was embarrassing. Now, in 2019, we finally opened the football ops building.. several years after the truly serious schools. In the meantime, recruiting rankings suggest they have widened the gap between them and us.
2. Basketball. I don't blame Ray for where basketball is. I will blame him if next year is another tournament miss AND Frank and his staff return. I'll be okay with Frank, but he needs to make changes if next year sucks again.
Baseball. Do we really need to go through this again? To everyone who says "Holbrook was the obvious choice", I say "try living in the real world." No one else with a top 5 program would hire a life long assistant with zero head coaching experience. I don't care what kind of promises Ray made to get Holbrook to leave chapel Hill.
Ummm...Holbrook turned down several job offers to remain at USC. He had been named the #1 recruiter in the country in any sport. Holbrook only came to Columbia when he felt he could get equal medical care here for his son. That's why he turned Tanner down the first time. It wasn't about promises made.
The football coaching search was not a mess. Fans and media were frustrated because in typical Tanner fashion he released absolutely no information about what was going on. Also please don't tell me you are one of those people who still believes Ray talked Spurrier into staying. That has been refuted over and over.

Reactions: PC31 and rogue cock
Ummm...Holbrook turned down several job offers to remain at USC. He had been named the #1 recruiter in the country in any sport. Holbrook only came to Columbia when he felt he could get equal medical care here for his son. That's why he turned Tanner down the first time. It wasn't about promises made.
The football coaching search was not a mess. Fans and media were frustrated because in typical Tanner fashion he released absolutely no information about what was going on. Also please don't tell me you are one of those people who still believes Ray talked Spurrier into staying. That has been refuted over and over.

Ha. Holbrook was a terrible (yet predictable) hire, evidenced by the terrible job he did here. Think Alabama will hire an assistant when Saban retires? Thats basically where our program was when Tanner left. The football hire was a clusterfrick. We had a few months head start on everybody else and managed to parlay that advantage into hiring an assistant coach whom no-one else wanted. Bravo Tanner! Quite an unassailable job he's doing.

The football coaching search was not a mess. Fans and media were frustrated because in typical Tanner fashion he released absolutely no information about what was going on. Also please don't tell me you are one of those people who still believes Ray talked Spurrier into staying. That has been refuted over and over.[/QUOTE
Who did he turn from offers from,? Unless it was Vandy, UCLA, Virginia, or another too 10 program this is not a relevant argument.
I don't care how highly regarded an assistant Holbrooke was. He was an assistant . When Coach K, or Roy Williams retires, I'll bet anything you are willing to bet those schools won't hire a first time head coach.
You actually think the football coach search went well? I don't know what can be said to you, then. Muschamp was on NOBODY'S radar to become a P5 head coach until Ray got involved.

Ha. Holbrook was a terrible (yet predictable) hire, evidenced by the terrible job he did here. Think Alabama will hire an assistant when Saban retires? Thats basically where our program was when Tanner left. The football hire was a clusterfrick. We had a few months head start on everybody else and managed to parlay that advantage into hiring an assistant coach whom no-one else wanted. Bravo Tanner! Quite an unassailable job he's doing.
Who would you have hired as the football coach?

Who would you have hired as the football coach?
Tell you what... Hire me as USC AD, pay me what we pay Rea, give me all the resources and all the time he had to conduct his coaching search and I'll have an answer. In the meantime, it doesn't matter who I would have hired. I'm not the AD. We are discussing Ray Tanner.

Lincoln Riley, assuming I couldn't close the deal on Herman.
Well established that when Riley got back to Oklahoma from the interview with Tanner and told Stoops he was interested, Stoops let him know of his plans to retire in a year and that Riley was the choice. We didn't stand a chance after that.

No one was closing the deal on Herman once Texas got involved.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Well established that when Riley got back to Oklahoma from the interview with Tanner and told Stoops he was interested, Stoops let him know of his plans to retire in a year and that Riley was the choice. We didn't stand a chance after that.

No one was closing the deal on Herman once Texas got involved.

Cool. But thats why we pay our AD to negotiate as an agent of the University. (Apparently) he couldn't sell us to either candidate. Which is why we got the sure-thing, last chance guy with a track record of mediocrity.

We should have had a deal-in-principle with someone before firing season came about in late November / December.

Tell you what... Hire me as USC AD, pay me what we pay Rea, give me all the resources and all the time he had to conduct his coaching search and I'll have an answer. In the meantime, it doesn't matter who I would have hired. I'm not the AD. We are discussing Ray Tanner.
Exactly!

Cool. But thats why we pay our AD to negotiate as an agent of the University. (Apparently) he couldn't sell us to either candidate. Which is why we got the sure-thing, last chance guy with a track record of mediocrity.

We should have had a deal-in-principle with someone before firing season came about in late November / December.
You're making a lot of assumptions about a situation you really know nothing about. No one does.

No other Power 5 would have hired him. Just for the record I hope he makes it but the SEC chews up and spits out most head coaches. WM has already had this happen once.

It's better than it's been previously. It's not just about football you know.
It's not nearly as good as when the previous guy was here.

There's nothing Tanner could do that would make you or Rogue change you're mind. We got it. You guys are in all. If we are stuck in the same place in three years, you'll be taking about our crappy football in 1970 and cheering women's beach volleyball. Holbrook was a good hire. Somebody wanted to how once is proof. Muschamp was the only that would come to a place that stunk this bad. And the hiring process played just the way Tanner wanted. (seems odd we waited so long to interview muschamp if he was our first choice).

It's not nearly as good as when the previous guy was here.

There's nothing Tanner could do that would make you or Rogue change you're mind. We got it. You guys are in all. If we are stuck in the same place in three years, you'll be taking about our crappy football in 1970 and cheering women's beach volleyball. Holbrook was a good hire. Somebody wanted to how once is proof. Muschamp was the only that would come to a place that stunk this bad. And the hiring process played just the way Tanner wanted. (seems odd we waited so long to interview muschamp if he was our first choice).
You misunderstand. I don't care for Muschamp at all, and I have posted that several times on this board. What I take issue with is those who claim to know what went on with the coaching search, when no one knows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT