ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question: What is the reasoning for believing in Ray Tanner as an AD?

Even after Hyman cautioned against hiring Tanner, I thought it was a good idea and continued to think so for about 2-3 years. Now I know.

3 main things that helped get Ray hired unfortunately by our buddy system BOT that are not AD qualifications:

1) He's a legendary coach

2) He loves and is passionate about Carolina

3) He really really wants the job because he's ready to retire from coaching

I don’t know much, but hiring Tanner felt like the obvious, good ole boy promotion that seems to be an underlying problem.

So he wins in baseball, a sport that honestly nobody outside of the southeast cares abt, and that qualifies him to run our athletic program???

Seems like some people are just rewarding someone for winning essentially meaningless championship

I don’t know much, but hiring Tanner felt like the obvious, good ole boy promotion that seems to be an underlying problem.

So he wins in baseball, a sport that honestly nobody outside of the southeast cares abt, and that qualifies him to run our athletic program???

Seems like some people are just rewarding someone for winning essentially meaningless championship
Well..you're the one who said you don't know much.

You're making a lot of assumptions about a situation you really know nothing about. No one does.
So do you think Muschamp was the guy Ray wanted all along? (Because Ray could've had a deal and hired him as soon as the Clemson was over with the head start he had.)

Or is it possible that Ray whiffed on his first targets and had to settle?

So do you think Muschamp was the guy Ray wanted all along? (Because Ray could've had a deal and hired him as soon as the Clemson was over with the head start he had.)

Or is it possible that Ray whiffed on his first targets and had to settle?
Have no idea...no one knows. Details of the coaching search have never been made public, and anyone who claims to know is lying.

Have no idea...no one knows. Details of the coaching search have never been made public, and anyone who claims to know is lying.
Do we know the exact details of how everything went down? No. Were there credible reports that shed light on the process (such as Ray interviewing Rich Rod of all people)? Yes.

What other school was vying for Muschamp's services? If he was "the guy" all along, why did Ray wait so long to hire him? Unless and until someone comes up with believable answers to those questions, it is more than reasonable to assume that Ray whiffed on his first targets.

Last edited:
Do we know the exact details of how everything went down? No. Were there credible reports that shed light on the process (such as Ray interviewing Rich Rod of all people)? Yes.

What other school was vying for Muschamp's services? If he was "the guy" all along, why did Ray wait so long to hire him? Unless and until someone comes up with believable answers to those two questions, it is more than reasonable to assume that Ray whiffed on his first targets.
The next response will probably be that Jerri Spurrier talked Ray into hiring Muschamp liked she supposedly talked Steve into staying for 2015 season (instead of Ray asking Spurrier to stay). Apparently she was calling all the shots.

In terms if money and fans.
When I went to USC, I knew several athletes that played sports such as swim and dive, golf, equestrian and women's soccer. I even had a fraternity brother that played on the baseball team with Adam Everett.

Believe me, they ALL knew the deal: Football is and was king. And without it, they most likely wouldn't be able to play their sport on the collegiate level.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Klems AD:

"Dan Radakovich (born June 9, 1958) is the athletics director at Clemson University. Previously, he was the Athletics Director at the Georgia Institute of Technology, a position he held from February 22, 2006 to October 29, 2012. He was previously the Senior Associate Director of Athletics at Louisiana State University."

Klems AD:

"Dan Radakovich (born June 9, 1958) is the athletics director at Clemson University. Previously, he was the Athletics Director at the Georgia Institute of Technology, a position he held from February 22, 2006 to October 29, 2012. He was previously the Senior Associate Director of Athletics at Louisiana State University."

We should have not let him go... I believe he was under McGee years ago...

Klems AD:

May want to review his history at GaTech.

What other school was vying for Muschamp's services? If he was "the guy" all along, why did Ray wait so long to hire him? Unless and until someone comes up with believable answers to those questions, it is more than reasonable to assume that Ray whiffed on his first targets.
More speculation. No, it's not reasonable because once again, the details of the search will never be made public. The phantom Rodriguez interview is more message board fodder. It sounds like you've bought in to the b.s. on this board.

Reactions: rogue cock
The next response will probably be that Jerri Spurrier talked Ray into hiring Muschamp liked she supposedly talked Steve into staying for 2015 season (instead of Ray asking Spurrier to stay). Apparently she was calling all the shots.
Well since Spurrier said his wife was the one who wanted him to stay I tend to believe it. But don't let that fact get in the way of your post.

When I went to USC, I knew several athletes that played sports such as swim and dive, golf, equestrian and women's soccer. I even had a fraternity brother that played on the baseball team with Adam Everett.

Believe me, they ALL knew the deal: Football is and was king. And without it, they most likely wouldn't be able to play their sport on the collegiate level.
Where has anyone said football isn't king?

More speculation. No, it's not reasonable because once again, the details of the search will never be made public. The phantom Rodriguez interview is more message board fodder. It sounds like you've bought in to the b.s. on this board.
So in other words, you can't answer those questions?

Regarding the Rich Rod interview, even the guys on 107.5 (I believe it was Heath, but could've been JP) were talking about being shocked that he was interviewed. Apparently they also thought it was a rumor up until that point.

RR was interviewed by Ray. That was never in dispute. But he also claimed Ray offered him the job, which Tanner denied. Just google it, man.

:):)
Since Ray became AD in 2012, the football team had consecutive 11-win seasons, culminating with their highest final ranking in program history in 2013 at #4, the men's basketball team made the Final Four for the first and only time in program history, and the women's basketball team won a national title and 4 consecutive SEC championships. When you add the glory years the baseball team also experienced under his leadership, the Ray Tanner era has been the single best era in Gamecock sports history for each of the major revenue sports.

Also, in the "Director's Cup" standings, 2017 and 2018 were the two best years that South Carolina has ever had at #21 and #26 respectively. In the 10 previous years, the program's average finish was #40.

Meanwhile, the Athletic Department has posted record revenues, impressive academic progress and graduation rates, and has experienced substantial facility upgrades.

Please Hammer don’t hurt em:)

It's better than it's been previously. It's not just about football you know.

Perhaps not, but if football fails consistently, attendance will drop, contributions will decrease, and the university will suffer in many other ways. It's a fact of life for a state university in the Deep South, in the SEC, and in a state where its #1 rival recently won ANOTHER football national championship - do good in football or pay the price (in many ways) and there are about a million Tillmanites in South Carolina who are VERY conscious of this reality.

Last edited:
3 main things that helped get Ray hired unfortunately by our buddy system BOT that are not AD qualifications:

BINGO! WE GOT A WINNER!

Haha. Not sure ur personal connection with Tanner but u seem like one of the problems. Win in a meaningless sport and ur qualified to run an athletic department???
Yeah...I'm definitely a big problem for the university...please...

The post was a joke. For the record, your general inside knowledge of the program appears to be as speculative as anyone else's on this board.
I only quoted what Spurrier said. You can call it whatever you want.

So I would think common sense says that Ray hired Muschamp because that's all he could get -- even with the biggest head start in the country.
I'll say this about Tanner because I know how he operates. He would not have hired Muschamp if he didn't think he was the one for the job. It was not a knee jerk hire. Tanner was not like that as a coach, and he's not like that as an a.d.

It seems like no one actually has any real objectives or expectations of an athletic director and only pop up for air when teams are losing to Clemson. I really don't know what more you think the athletic director can do. The athletic department has literally never been in better shape across the board. Ray Tanner is the message board thing that gets repeated over and over.

My team not beating rival.. athletic director bad.

I'll say this about Tanner because I know how he operates. He would not have hired Muschamp if he didn't think he was the one for the job. It was not a knee jerk hire. Tanner was not like that as a coach, and he's not like that as an a.d.
So I'll ask again: Why did he wait so long to do it?

Because that's how he wanted to do it is my opinion. He would have waited another 6 months if that's what he felt he needed to do.
Oh come on. You know good and well Ray wasn't going to wait six months to make the biggest hire of his career. He would've been stuck hiring a D-III coach. If you really want to believe he waited forever to hire a coach that no one else wanted to hire just because, that's on you. But to each their own.

This was exactly the logic of MANY people here. We can blame the Board but this line of thinking was in no way limited to them.

My objection at the time was that hiring Ray as AD could turn out weakening two positions with one hire. I think I was right.

Reactions: 67gamecock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT