ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question: Why do some on here look for absolutely ANY reason

rogue cock

Sep 11, 2000
Bluffton, SC
to put down the University, the Administration, the Athletic Department, it's coaches...absolutely anything to do with the school? And that's just about all they post....criticism after criticism. I've never seen anything like it on any other board. We either have a ton of rivals' fans posting on this site under the guise of Gamecock fans....or, God forbid, the absolute worst fans on the planet.

Because when they do something stupid or give halfassed effort it should be called out. We praised Muschamp and the team to the high heavens after the tater game. When they crap the bed against UVA, they don't get that praise nor do they deserve it. The university did something stupid with the logo, they deserve all the criticism they get.

to put down the University, the Administration, the Athletic Department, it's coaches...absolutely anything to do with the school? And that's just about all they post....criticism after criticism. I've never seen anything like it on any other board. We either have a ton of rivals' fans posting on this site under the guise of Gamecock fans....or, God forbid, the absolute worst fans on the planet.

It is the nature of social media these days and message boards are an extension of that. There's a sense of entitlement 24/7 that comes with access to a keyboard on a computer or mobile device. But the ones that hammer away on social media with the "Look at me...everyone has to listen to what I say" negativity is trending downward as less and less people who make decisions are paying attention to what is said because there is an acceptance of "that's the way it is" right now in our world. So a lot of it is tuned out.

The ones who don't believe in the negativity are just not paying as much attention to it or seeing it because they don't want "all that" around them. So the majority of the ones left in most cases are the constant gripers.

Don't like the new logo either. Wonder how many Gamecock Alumni focus groups may have been used to come up with that. But it's not very good. But the sun still did rise this morning.

Last edited:
It is the nature of social media these days and message boards are an extension of that. There's a sense of entitlement 24/7 that comes with access to a keyboard on a computer or mobile device. But the ones that hammer away on social media with the "Look at me...everyone has to listen to what I say" negativity is trending downward as less and less people who make decisions are paying attention to what is said because there is an acceptance of "that's the way it is" right now in our world. So a lot of it is tuned out.

The ones who don't believe in the negativity are just not paying as much attention to it or seeing it because they don't want "all that" around them. So the majority of the ones left in most cases are the constant gripers.

Don't like the new logo either. Wonder how many Gamecock Alumni focus groups may have been used to come up with that. But it's not very good. But the sun still did rise this morning.
Good answer....So I guess I'm like Quixote tilting at windmills.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Because when they do something stupid or give halfassed effort it should be called out. We praised Muschamp and the team to the high heavens after the tater game. When they crap the bed against UVA, they don't get that praise nor do they deserve it. The university did something stupid with the logo, they deserve all the criticism they get.

With all due respect, I find it hard to believe you praised Muschamp after the Clemson loss.

I am frustrated because we have the fanbase, money and capacity to do things better, but no, we are always doing things on the cheap and in the process wasting away. We need to be committed to excellence, not just getting by. That comes from both the university leadership and coaches.

I am frustrated because we have the fanbase, money and capacity to do things better, but no, we are always doing things on the cheap and in the process wasting away. We need to be committed to excellence, not just getting by. That comes from both the university leadership and coaches.
Like what? The Dodie Anderson Academic Center is absolutely state of the art. The new law school? It seem more than any law student could want. The baseball stadium was the absolute best when built.

Like what? The Dodie Anderson Academic Center is absolutely state of the art. The new law school? It seem more than any law student could want. The baseball stadium was the absolute best when built.

I concede that those are good points.

Diehard since 1967. I don't feel entitled but good gracious, we never lead. We get behind, try and catch up, and usually half ass it. Go big or go home.

Diehard since 1967. I don't feel entitled but good gracious, we never lead. We get behind, try and catch up, and usually half ass it. Go big or go home.
The Dodie, Founder's Park, the Indoor Practice Facility all are state of the art. None were "half-assing" it. Same with the academic facilities being built on campus.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs

I've seen other boards and don't think we're that different from other fan bases. You got the whiners, the pumpers, the armchair coaches, etc. Maybe our percentages are a bit different, but I suspect even Saban has those who question his genius.

So, I take the gripers with a grain of salt and this old saw from Theodore Roosevelt. Who probably would've gotten reamed over the coals if they'd had messageboards back then for saying it. I suspect he would've responded by laughing in their virtual faces.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

When things are going bad it's just easy to criticize and place blame on any and all.

Reactions: rogue cock

The logo is no big deal, they can change it tomorrow, and they will if needed. There’s been a big effort in the last few years to distinguish from SoCal, which honestly should have happened 50 years ago.

Cause they make it easy..... Were just always a step behind. Were like a Bing search in the world of Google, a blackberry in a world of iphones. And if we cant criticize multi-million dollar coaches after that UVA debacle then what use is the forum. Finbaum summed it up best yesterday "I'm going to be blunt, i dont know what to make about South Carolina anymore. I dont know when I've been more disappointed in the way a team finished the season, than what happened in that bowl game, it was humilating. I've completely run out of adjectives trying to describe Will Muschamp's program". He summed it up perfectly.

The logo is no big deal, they can change it tomorrow, and they will if needed. There’s been a big effort in the last few years to distinguish from SoCal, which honestly should have happened 50 years ago.

Well, SoCow has the legal trademake Block SC or at least that is what I understand. That is why we have the squshed SC on our baseball hats. I wished someone years ago for the Gamecocks had the foresight to get the Block SC registered.

I'm here for fun and therapy, whatever the need of the hour. Whatever the board offers me in those areas, I'm going to avail myself of it. It's cloudy and gray outside today. This is a great place to pass some time.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Wasting away? Are you paying attention?

High paying high profile positions draw praises or criticism from most people. Public figures that makes millions of dollars deserve both and I have no sorrow these people when they are fired or asked to look for other opportunities.

USCALUMNI

High paying high profile positions draw praises or criticism from most people. Public figures that makes millions of dollars deserve both and I have no sorrow these people when they are fired or asked to look for other opportunities.

USCALUMNI
Agreed. It's not rec league ball where coaches volunteer their time. This is a business and you're being paid MILLIONS. You can't have it both ways. If you demand a huge salary then huge expectations come with that salary.

USCALUMNI
Agreed. It's not rec league ball where coaches volunteer their time. This is a business and you're being paid MILLIONS. You can't have it both ways. If you demand a huge salary then huge expectations come with that salary.

Agree 1000%

USCALUMNI

Reactions: king ward
Agreed. It's not rec league ball where coaches volunteer their time. This is a business and you're being paid MILLIONS. You can't have it both ways. If you demand a huge salary then hug expectations come with that salary.
Then you'd be better off writing letters, because none of the three Trustees that I know read this board. Neither does the Clemson Trustee that I know read the Clemson boards...and he is in my age group. Neither did the one who died a few years ago that I knew.

They seem to have better things to do....or are just simply avoiding the cacophony of the masses.

Then you'd be better off writing letters, because none of the three Trustees that I know read this board. Neither does the Clemson Trustee that I know read the Clemson boards...and he is in my age group. Neither did the one who died a few years ago that I knew.

They seem to have better things to do....or are just simply avoiding the cacophony of the masses.
They'd quickly lookup my GC giving level and see I'm just a middle of the road donator and that letter would be sent to the file cabinet (i.e. Garbage can). I've emailed the board before, respectfully encouraging them to make some changes (not coaching changes but mindset changes) and didn't hear diddly back.

These boards are vehicles of the groundswell which, if unabated, gets the attention of the right people sooner or later. They are the soap boxes of a constituency's grass roots.

Rogue, I know you disagreed with me on the B. Bentley deal, but you and I typically see things the same. Truthfully, I think it goes back to two things: 1) the taste of success and national exposure we got for those few Spurrier years, and 2) Clemson’s recent success.

Im not going to bash anyone that works for the university, because I doubt Ray, Frank, Holbrook, Horn; etc wants to suck. I know they do the best they can. Now, that doesn’t mean that changes don’t need to occur. Holbrook needs to go. He took over a successful program and turned it into average. Yes, I think Frank needs to go. Not sure the problem, but the turnover he has with players is very concerning. And while I don’t have a problem with Ray, I think college athletics has turned into a money business. Therefore, I believe an AD should be business minded.

its strictly freudian......they weren't breast fed,

Reactions: rogue cock
A guy making 3 or 4 million a year doesn't care if he's fired before his contract runs out. They might pretend they care but they're crying all the way to the bank. Then they get recycled back into the job somewhere else, big deal.
Well, at least he has a thick hide for me to tear into without soft people howling about it.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

A good question and the answer is likely multifaceted. You have your impostures. You have your depressed. You have the stark contrast to what's going on at Clemson, and so on...

However, I think there is some overall cause for concern with what we're paying Will Muschamp and Ray Tanner. The spin that's being put on this program at the moment deserves a second and third look. And the overall apathy deserves a 4th.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

The OP is correct. It is a puzzle to me and not one of the whiners or whiner supporters remarks make an adequate excuse for it. Too many act like the University owes them a daily thrust on their ego pump. I have no idea whether these sports forums have any effect on the athletic program or the performance of sports teams or not. If there is any real effect, it must be negative. On the increasingly rare occasions when I check in, it appears to be getting worse.

Active Gamecock fan since 1940's who mistakenly thought that participation in USC forums would enhance enjoyment of USC sports. My mistake.

Reactions: PC31 and rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT