ADVERTISEMENT

Shame on Vic Schaefer

The Gamecocks were padding the lead while she was in the game. I believe it stretched out to 15 or so. When Holmes came in, the lead shrank to five.

The press was not effective against us with Itty in the game. Our players could just pass over her head. State began generating turnovers when Holmes entered.

Too many people are prone to make a something into a drama when it is about winning.
I only got to see the 4th quarter, but when I walked in my wife said the gamecocks had been comfortably in control most of the game, and now MSU had come back. She isn't too much of a basketball fan, but was so into the game that she actually burst a homemade stress relief ball (balloon filled apparently with flour) when MSU got to within 5 puts or so.

Seems to me if the first 3 quarters were controlled that well by USC, & that switched help the bullies, it was good coaching.

Reminds me a bit of the video clip of Geno talking about benching a star player for a whole game & people saying it was a motivational tactic for an upcoming game against us. He said something to the effect of, "No. Everyone knows if you aren't into the game on the bench as well as on the floor, you sit. Doesn't matter what game or who you are."

I only got to see the 4th quarter, but when I walked in my wife said the gamecocks had been comfortably in control most of the game, and now MSU had come back. She isn't too much of a basketball fan, but was so into the game that she actually burst a homemade stress relief ball (balloon filled apparently with flour) when MSU got to within 5 puts or so.

Seems to me if the first 3 quarters were controlled that well by USC, & that switched help the bullies, it was good coaching.

Reminds me a bit of the video clip of Geno talking about benching a star player for a whole game & people saying it was a motivational tactic for an upcoming game against us. He said something to the effect of, "No. Everyone knows if you aren't into the game on the bench as well as on the floor, you sit. Doesn't matter what game or who you are."

My wife's a Clemson fan and was pulling hard for both our teams. Almost as much as I was. I thought it was because she loves me but she was really into the games. I know the most of her family hated to see us doing well.

Funny you mentioned that. At one point early in the second half she was waiting at the check-in table to get in... sitting on the floor, totally out of breath. Don't recall ever seeing a player that winded going in.

Reactions: vacock#
Could not get enough camera time with Morgan William after the UCONN game. Praising her talent, leadership, and toughness. Then hangs her out to dry by benching her the whole 4th quarter and acting as if she was not giving effort.

William did not play bad. Dawn schemed the girl out of the game and BCM played fantastic D. It was a repeat of our other two victories.
First game William was 2-11 4pts and 6 assists
Second game she 7-13 14pts 1 assist and 7 turnovers.

Schaefer was unable to draw up a game plan to help William and shames her by benching her. It's not like he didn't see this coming. Coach better Vic and don't publicly humiliate your star that you couldn't suck up to enough 2 days ago.
Forgive me, but I'm confused. Our team played her well, shut her down, and won the trophy. Why are you mad? Why not just be glad we won, and let them handle their own problems? I don't get why you're so fired up about what they do.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Why would you bench your best player in a close national championship game and she doesn't have a broken leg or is puking on the sidelines? William did not play bad, she was schemed and defended well. Don't just challenge her heart, do some coaching to help her.
Her replacement played better. She got open more for great assists and scored more open shots. Watch the game again.

They actually cut the lead to 4 with a chance to cut it to 1 or 2. Fortunately Aja Wilson blocked their shot and scored on the other end. MSU was on the verge of getting blown out with Williams in the game, it was a good coaching move. They had gotten almost no turnovers prior to the 4th quarter. Their press started giving us problems after Williams was yanked. The kid looks like a primadonna.

Reactions: adversary2
As a former player, if you have heart, you want to be on the field of play. BCM ate her lunch. Bad matchup for itty bity good matchup. BCM. I don't like the way Vic coaches whines and crud on every call. He is successful just not against us. We are the champions not them

Could not get enough camera time with Morgan William after the UCONN game. Praising her talent, leadership, and toughness. Then hangs her out to dry by benching her the whole 4th quarter and acting as if she was not giving effort.

William did not play bad. Dawn schemed the girl out of the game and BCM played fantastic D. It was a repeat of our other two victories.
First game William was 2-11 4pts and 6 assists
Second game she 7-13 14pts 1 assist and 7 turnovers.

Schaefer was unable to draw up a game plan to help William and shames her by benching her. It's not like he didn't see this coming. Coach better Vic and don't publicly humiliate your star that you couldn't suck up to enough 2 days ago.
He saw it coming. He said something about Staley knowing their flaws and that he'd rather not play us.

Maybe he was trying to win the game.
That's absurd. We all know he was only doing it to show the girl who's boss. Hey, it's just one game, right? It's more important to prove a point, right? C'mon guys, you really think he chose punishing her over winning the National Freaking Championship? She wasn't playing well, thanks to BCM, so he took her out. End of story.

That's absurd. We all know he was only doing it to show the girl who's boss. Hey, it's just one game, right? It's more important to prove a point, right? C'mon guys, you really think he chose punishing her over winning the National Freaking Championship? She wasn't playing well, thanks to BCM, so he took her out. End of story.

You two are on the same page.

More coaches should have the guts and wherewithal to know when a player is off , having a bad night and make that move for the team. I applaud him because I know she's his favorite yet he still pulled her

I read that he practiced them really hard on Saturday. Fatigue did appear to be a factor, at least with William. At one point she was sitting in front of the scorers tables to come in, and she was breathing hard and looked spent.

I read that he practiced them really hard on Saturday. Fatigue did appear to be a factor, at least with William. At one point she was sitting in front of the scorers tables to come in, and she was breathing hard and looked spent.

Doris Burke said she watched the practice and they ran a rebounding drill so intense she feared someone was going to get hurt. In contrast, USC did yoga and stretching. We crushed them on the boards, so I'm not sure that means Schaefer was right or wrong. He knew rebounding would be a decisive factor in the game. Hindsight is always 20/20.

As a former player, if you have heart, you want to be on the field of play. BCM ate her lunch. Bad matchup for itty bity good matchup. BCM. I don't like the way Vic coaches whines and crud on every call. He is successful just not against us. We are the champions not them
I said the same thing to the wife while the game was on. But I said the thing I like most about Dawn is the way she doesn't throw tantrums. Her facial expressions get the point across. In fact, she was sitting a good bit of the game. One could see she had confidence in her team's abilities. The only thing that could derail them by halftime was them. You don't have to act like a 3 year old in public to make your point. Most male coaches do this and it's very unbecoming.

Reactions: vacock#
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT