ADVERTISEMENT

Shawn Elliott

Word in the street, and I've heard this from a few sources, was we aren't half the citadel week prepping for Clemson and if not for that last TD being called back he would've gotten away with it.
Wouldn’t shock me. If we beat The Citadel and beat Clemson, he’s hired at the post-game press conference. I wouldn’t blame Elliott for preparing for Clemson to be honest. But his guys didn’t show up that week. Brutal season.

Steve Junior and Scotty Spurrier. Junior was a terrible RC....he had to work hard to destroy every recruiting connection in SC that EJ and Lawing worked so hard to reestablish. Junior was blessed with a number of highly regarded receivers....hard to judge his coaching based on that. Scotty....who knows, you never heard a word about him....and that's not necessarily good.
Jr was actually a good WR coach!

Steve Junior and Scotty Spurrier. Junior was a terrible RC....he had to work hard to destroy every recruiting connection in SC that EJ and Lawing worked so hard to reestablish. Junior was blessed with a number of highly regarded receivers....hard to judge his coaching based on that. Scotty....who knows, you never heard a word about him....and that's not necessarily good.
Jr was a very good receivers coach as tailgate alluded too above …… many of you forget that.

If we didn’t fire Muschamp but demoted him and promoted Elliot as the head coach, would have Muschamp moved on on his own without paying a buyout?

If you go back and look at the volume of receivers that came in and the number that had success it tells a different story.
Everybody wasn't great, here or anywhere else! Jr was a good WR coach!

Don't know whether he did or not.....or did he simply use well and maintain the network others established? Know that EJ and Lawing because of their prior history in SC did....especially EJ who was very popular with HS coaches. Yes, Beamer was a good recruiter....but as far as I know didn't have a good or bad reputation in SC prior to his arrival.
He built great connections. I personally got meet him while at Hilton Head. I was a nobody and he came in the coaches office. Let me once for about 5 minutes. Next time he came months later he remembered my name. He was very good at what he did which was build relationships.

Just a theory, if Elliott knew that Tanner was committed to going after Kirby Smart, maybe he over focused on the Clemson game because that’s the only way he thought he could get the job. So maybe Elliott gambled and lost, then Tanner gambled and lost.

Even after losing to The Citadel?

The Citadel loss wasn’t shocking to me. I don’t think it mattered who the interim h/c was. The team was in bad shape that season.
Elliotts level of intensity as a Coach and love for the Gamecock program was seemingly second to none. But I don’t think he was a safe hire at the time. In hindsight I feel like he would have been better then Muschamp. At the very least it couldn’t have been too much worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: vacock#
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT