ADVERTISEMENT

Shilo Sanders

Yes. He let the local talent from Dutch Fork, Blythewood and River Bluff head to Clemson next season. He has a lot to prove.

As it currently stands, our 2020 class is ranked way higher than Clemson's, so I'll give him a pass on not taking some kids from a few specific local schools. Wonder if you're blaming him for Ty Olenchuk? Alex Urban? Check their commit dates and get back to us on how that was CMK's fault.

As it currently stands, our 2020 class is ranked way higher than Clemson's, so I'll give him a pass on not taking some kids from a few specific local schools. Wonder if you're blaming him for Ty Olenchuk? Alex Urban? Check their commit dates and get back to us on how that was CMK's fault.
I am blaming him for Landon Lucas. Kingston fumble farted this one. Dig into the details on why he decommitted and get back to me.

My roommate my freshman year came to Carolina as a walk-on from the Pittsburgh area ("yens"). He was cut the first day of practice! He was pretty shocked, to say the least. The coaching staff gave him the the impression he had a good chance to make the roster. He ended up leaving at the first semester and going to school up north. So it goes.

Reactions: okccock
I am blaming him for Landon Lucas. Kingston fumble farted this one. Dig into the details on why he decommitted and get back to me.

Then blame him for Lucas. I was trying to figure out why you included DFHS (especially when Ty was never coming here) and RBHS in your comment, other than to try and make CMK look bad. At the same time, no comment on the SC kids who are coming? There are 6 SC commits, including 3 from the Midlands.

Sadly, it seems that all these Twitter comments are just making things worse. From prominent former players (including arguably the best ever) to a current football player and his HOF dad, this all just looks like we're just eating our own live in public.

The worst thing about it is if Primetime doesn't go public in the first place, this probably isn't even an issue.

I agree that he could be an asset and help our program with his celebrity status. But this appears to be the other side of what is an obvious double edged sword.

Then blame him for Lucas. I was trying to figure out why you included DFHS (especially when Ty was never coming here) and RBHS in your comment, other than to try and make CMK look bad. At the same time, no comment on the SC kids who are coming? There are 6 SC commits, including 3 from the Midlands.
I am pulling for Kingston. That said, the Lucas recruitment didn't sit well with me and I won't go into details why. I hope the class works out for Kingston. I hate Clemson as much as the next gamecock but I will be pulling for Lucas at Clemson

Reactions: GeoCocky
Unfortunately typical blown opportunity for our university in terms of visibility, marketing, etc. So what if Shilo is not Deion. You give him a spot on the team, have Deion all over the media. That`s what Clemson would do. Instead, we piss off one of the best dual-sport athletes of all time who has had nothing but praise for USC until now. You put him on the team, let him play when the games aren`t close if he can`t contribute as a regular player. What a blunder by Kingston, Tanner, somebody. Hard to believe this is what went down. Now we get nothing but negative publicity out of this. Way to turn a real positive somehow into a negative.
So a better more deserving bb player doesn’t make the team, who could help carry them to Omaha to kiss a celebrities ass?

Reactions: 01fatboy
Ideally, Tanner, Muschamp and Kingston should have sat down and discussed how this try out might go down, how they would react in any particular situation, and been ready for any response. They had to know with Sander's kid it's a very public situation. It just seems to be one sorry public relations screwup after another over there. It's mind boggling how they cannot get it right.

Ideally, Tanner, Muschamp and Kingston should have sat down and discussed how this try out might go down, how they would react in any particular situation, and been ready for any response. They had to know with Sander's kid it's a very public situation. It just seems to be one sorry public relations screwup after another over there. It's mind boggling how they cannot get it right.

You are so on the money, UMW. And how could they not have sat down with Deion and Shilo? Or at least spoken at length with the young man? If you take them at face value, Shilo feels he worked hard to get this tryout. Is 30 swings of a bat enough to tell? Maybe. This coaching staff hasn't proven much to me as a fan yet, but how hard would it have been to let the kid field some grounders or whatever else you could have let him do. That would have been a small time investment. I hate hate daddy ball, but this particular dad played in the major leagues and was one of the best athletes of my generation. He knows more than most dads about baseball, as biased as he might be about his own son. On top of that, he is a dad with a national TV platform. How could you screw this up so royally? What a charlie foxtrot.

You are so on the money, UMW. And how could they not have sat down with Deion and Shilo? Or at least spoken at length with the young man? If you take them at face value, Shilo feels he worked hard to get this tryout. Is 30 swings of a bat enough to tell? Maybe. This coaching staff hasn't proven much to me as a fan yet, but how hard would it have been to let the kid field some grounders or whatever else you could have let him do. That would have been a small time investment. I hate hate daddy ball, but this particular dad played in the major leagues and was one of the best athletes of my generation. He knows more than most dads about baseball, as biased as he might be about his own son. On top of that, he is a dad with a national TV platform. How could you screw this up so royally? What a charlie foxtrot.
Well said my man! My thoughts exactly

Reactions: taiwancock
Sadly, it seems that all these Twitter comments are just making things worse. From prominent former players (including arguably the best ever) to a current football player and his HOF dad, this all just looks like we're just eating our own live in public.

The worst thing about it is if Primetime doesn't go public in the first place, this probably isn't even an issue.

I agree that he could be an asset and help our program with his celebrity status. But this appears to be the other side of what is an obvious double edged sword.
This was also kind of one of my thoughts. if Deon had simply just went to the university. A lot of this could have been handled a lot different way. I know with me, if somebody embarrasses me in public even if I’m inclined to help them they can forget it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legendary Cock
Agreed. I don't understand the strategy in making his original tweet, unless, as King suggested, he's laying a foundation for the transfer portal.

In the history of parental tweets about a perceived wrong done to their adult children, have any of them ever worked out to correct the "injustice?" Surely, no high-level coach, upon hearing that tweet, is going to decide that he was wrong and give the player another more extensive tryout. So, why send it in the first place?

Last edited:
More speculation. He might be merely noteworthy, or very good. Or he might be great. Is great better than phenomenal? I expect he's better than pedestrian. That's a pretty safe statement to make. Beyond that, I think anyone would be speculating. I'm thinking he isn't as good as Bo Jackson, but I would be speculating. Bo Jackson, in the eyes of most people, was a phenomenal athlete. Does Shilo rise to that level? I suspect not, so probably not phenomenal.

Phenomenal is in comparison to me!

I stand corrected in my high praise for a college athlete on scholarship at a P5 school. I will lower it to great athlete. I will reserve phenomenal for those once in a decade athletes like Bo, Deion, etc...

Or may I use it to describe Bruce Ellington? Clowney? (nah he only played one sport), Aja Wilson (or is she out of worthiness of phenomenal because she is a she?)? I would describe all of these as phenomenal athletes.

What is the standard for me to be allowed to say that I think an athlete is phenomenal? It’s an adjective used to describe someone that is very remarkable; notable to the senses ( as defined by the almighty google)?

But I will digress and go back that I think that Shilo is a phenomenal athlete. Obviously our football coaching staff thinks so or he wouldn’t be on scholly. He was also an under armor all-American so they thought so as well. Are there better athletes? Absolutely, but he is remarkable.

Phenomenal is in comparison to me!

I stand corrected in my high praise for a college athlete on scholarship at a P5 school. I will lower it to great athlete. I will reserve phenomenal for those once in a decade athletes like Bo, Deion, etc...

Or may I use it to describe Bruce Ellington? Clowney? (nah he only played one sport), Aja Wilson (or is she out of worthiness of phenomenal because she is a she?)? I would describe all of these as phenomenal athletes.

What is the standard for me to be allowed to say that I think an athlete is phenomenal? It’s an adjective used to describe someone that is very remarkable; notable to the senses ( as defined by the almighty google)?

But I will digress and go back that I think that Shilo is a phenomenal athlete. Obviously our football coaching staff thinks so or he wouldn’t be on scholly. He was also an under armor all-American so they thought so as well. Are there better athletes? Absolutely, but he is remarkable.
You risk error as soon as you assign exceptional athletic prowess a person solely because we recruited him. There has to be supporting evidence, which in Shilo's case, is yet to manifest itself.

Nice. Pushed part of the blame on Champ. Go team!

I guess I don’t see that at all.
He said Shilo did not show ability to impact baseball team which is reason he did not keep him
Obviously champ wants him full time
That’s a no brainer with spring practice approaching

Evidently not... You can tell after 5 swings if he's got enough to play in the SEC. That's just the harsh truth.. He wasn't ready.
He should ave simply said he wasn't ready rather than drag Muschamp into it. Champ has enough problems. Maybe Champ signed off on the statement. The last thing we need is Deon upset with Champ.

He should ave simply said he wasn't ready rather than drag Muschamp into it. Champ has enough problems. Maybe Champ signed off on the statement. The last thing we need is Deon upset with Champ.
How did he drag Muschamp into it?

Unfortunately typical blown opportunity for our university in terms of visibility, marketing, etc. So what if Shilo is not Deion. You give him a spot on the team, have Deion all over the media. That`s what Clemson would do. Instead, we piss off one of the best dual-sport athletes of all time who has had nothing but praise for USC until now. You put him on the team, let him play when the games aren`t close if he can`t contribute as a regular player. What a blunder by Kingston, Tanner, somebody. Hard to believe this is what went down. Now we get nothing but negative publicity out of this. Way to turn a real positive somehow into a negative.
you could not be more wrong and the sad part is how many likes you got for this post

Reactions: GeoCocky
Definitely doesn't look good for the university based on Shilo's comments below that came out in the state yesterday. Hopefully Kingston's results on the field this year shows that he made the right decision. Otherwise it looks pretty foolish not to even consider a full workout for the kid that consisted of not only hitting, but base running, fielding, etc...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Just to clear things up, I was told that after the winter break I would have a tryout so I went home for the holidays and worked by butt off over the entire break,” Shilo Sanders tweeted. “I returned excited to compete and I never even got an opportunity to go on the field, put on a glove, field a ball or run bases. I hit in front of coach Kingston once and he walked into the cages on another occasion when I was hitting getting ready for the tryout. So the only thing I actually did for a tryout I guess ended up being me hitting off a machine and never actually practicing with the team. I don’t know what else I could have done to make the team. I’m not happy how this played out and the lies that were told but life goes on.”

https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...h-carolina/usc-football/article239638593.html

Last edited:
Just sounds to me like Kingston doesn't really want to mess around with guys who split between 2 sports. Spring football cuts deeply into baseball preparation/participation.

Has it crossed anyone else's mind that what Shilo and his father consider a tryout vs what our Coaches consider a tryout are 2 entirely different things? So Shilo is not happy how things turned out. Welcome to life. People are automatically thinking he's his dad. He isn't. If he was, he would have seen time in more than 4 games this Fall, and would have made more than 1 tackle.

Also, if you want to make a SEC baseball team these days, you have to give it 100% of your time. Something he would not be able to do. Football would come calling just at the time the heart of our season begins. Why waste a roster spot for someone who wouldn't be there when we would need all available bodies the most? We've done that a few times lately, and it's bit us in the butt.

holbrook might disagree
Holbrook got a long leash and had become toxic. The school acted at least a year too late on Holbrook, a man who had zero support remaining. In addition, Tanner only represents part of the athletic department leadership - and not even the largest part. For that, you have to look to the BOT. I would bet my house that they reached critical mass on this way before Tanner did.

You risk error as soon as you assign exceptional athletic prowess a person solely because we recruited him. There has to be supporting evidence, which in Shilo's case, is yet to manifest itself.

Perhaps you should adjust your risk error of just a simple adjective. I never said that he had exceptional athletic “prowess”. I said he was a phenomenal athlete.

My statement was not solely based on him being on scholarship at USC. Read my whole post. However, a division 1, p5 corner back that runs under a 4.5, has the hip movement to turn and run from a back pedal, played QB in HS until little brother came along, and was a HS all-American is an absolutely incredible athlete.

I have no dog in the fight. I don’t know Shilo. All I know is to accomplish what he has so far; he is a phenomenal athlete.

Are we to assume that he is average by your standards?

Perhaps you should adjust your risk error of just a simple adjective. I never said that he had exceptional athletic “prowess”. I said he was a phenomenal athlete.

My statement was not solely based on him being on scholarship at USC. Read my whole post. However, a division 1, p5 corner back that runs under a 4.5, has the hip movement to turn and run from a back pedal, played QB in HS until little brother came along, and was a HS all-American is an absolutely incredible athlete.

I have no dog in the fight. I don’t know Shilo. All I know is to accomplish what he has so far; he is a phenomenal athlete.

No, I didn't try to put my words in your mouth. I was paraphrasing my impression of what you were saying. He's probably better than average - by collegiate standards - to be generous. His Dad was inarguably a phenomenal athlete. He does not rise to that level. His "accomplishments" attest that. Now, he might establish himself as a late bloomer. That will have to be assessed in the future.

Last edited:
Shilo will be going to the school that Sheddur chooses. And I think that he will not consider us now.
The gold that all schools were/are after is Sheddur. Getting Shilo gave that school a great chance at little brother.
Looking at it from another angle, both kids and Dad may be more trouble than it is worth.

When did shilo run a sub 4.5 forty. Did I miss something. Shilo does not run a sub 4.5 forty

Another way of looking at it is
Yea let’s indulge a famous person whose child is not good enough to make the team. Let’s kiss his backside because when spring football starts and he leaves, we are down a roster spot. Also you think Deion will be,”just happy my son made the team!” Kingston would have ended up spending more time fielding calls from Deion than actually coaching Shilo.

Dawn Staley said yesterday that one of the main reasons her team is so good is that she is able to 100% of her time just coaching. No whining, complaining, bitching, no drama. How many hours has Kingston had to spend on a kid who is not good enough to be even a pinch runner or a late inning defensive replacement.

I am not trying to make the kid out to be anything more or less than what he is. But instead of me saying what kind of athlete he is, let’s hear from his HS coach.
"He's a pretty good pitcher and has a cannon for an arm," Trinity Christian head coach Jeff Calvery said. "Shilo possesses superb athleticism. His blinding speed really stands out."

Again, my original post simply stated that maybe he will take the opportunity to hone his skills to make the baseball team in the future or beat they best football player he can be. Either way, he is a phenomenal athlete in my humble opinion.

No need for you to agree! I am done talking for a young man that I don’t know. I am guessing the same for each of you. I choose to be a optimist, wish him nothing but the best, and will cheer for him greatly because he chose us. To be a Gamecock!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT