ADVERTISEMENT

Should Kingston purge the lineup of .200 hitters

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
It's almost April, when does Mark Kingston need to sit any starter batting less than .260

You have to have 9 on the field.

23v7zx.jpg

He needs to do something to change it up. They don't seem to be having much fun playing baseball.

Reactions: gcobob
So is the problem development or that .200 hitters should not have a South Carolina baseball uniform to begin with?

Honestly several in the lineup have at least earned the right to ride pine and let the backups attempt to hit 1 for 5 one night.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Funny I pretty much said that watching the game last night, play the guys that are hitting and don't worry about match ups! Makes it a little easier with Noah, Maddy and TJ out! That being said I keep being impressed with Mlodzinski and Demurias's outings! There are some bright spots guys, were just going to wade through some losses to get there!

I understand the point, but I think it's a bad idea at this point.

Noah Campbell is the only freshman non-pitcher that has earned a starting role. If others do that, they'll replace the current everyday players. Otherwise, Kingston may have disgruntled players/former players trashing the program to recruits who approach them for information about the program. As long as we're mathematically eligible to make the SEC Tournament, he has to play those who have earned starting roles.

Now, Kingston has given younger players a shot when warranted. I think Jacobsen started two games against UGA because of Blair's error in game 1. I'm not sure that would have happened under Holbrook.

Last edited:
The problem is that the other 2 OF we have are batting sub .200 (Blair and Jacobsen). The only other one is Jenkins, who hasn't seen any PT this season.
Jenkins had Tommy John surgery. I doubt he plays this season.

Chad told them hitting is hard I reckon they still believe. It's going to take graduation of Chad's guys to get things going north. You ain't seen the last of good baseball at Carolina though.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Chad told them hitting is hard I reckon they still believe. It's going to take graduation of Chad's guys to get things going north. You ain't seen the last of good baseball at Carolina though.
It doesn't seem to be hard for other teams.

I understand the point, but I think it's a bad idea at this point.

Noah Campbell is the only freshman non-pitcher that has earned a starting role. If others do that, they'll replace the current everyday players. Otherwise, Kingston may have disgruntled players/former players trashing the program to recruits who approach them for information about the program. As long as we're mathematically eligible to make the SEC Tournament, he has to play those who have earned starting roles.

Now, Kingston has given younger players a shot when warranted. I think Jacobsen started two games against UGA because of Blair's error in game 1. I'm not sure that would have happened under Holbrook.
Those players have had plenty of chances. It's time to piss excellence.
6a0115709f071f970b0162fbdbce4f970d.jpe

Those players have had plenty of chances. It's time to piss excellence.
6a0115709f071f970b0162fbdbce4f970d.jpe
I agree they need to do that. But, except for Row, the ones who would do the replacing are worst, no matter how negligible the difference may be.

Row is the only player Kingston needs to figure out how to start when Hopkins and Stokes are back in the line up. Maybe Tolbert can be made the first baseman and Row play second. Perhaps Row can play outfield or Stokes or Tolbert can be moved to the outfield. I think we'll be a better hitting team with Row in the line up.

Last edited:
So is the problem development or that .200 hitters should not have a South Carolina baseball uniform to begin with?

Honestly several in the lineup have at least earned the right to ride pine and let the backups attempt to hit 1 for 5 one night.
1 for 5 is a good night for most of the players.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I absolutely agree but we have set ourselves up for a long re-build. 5 years ago EVERY high school baseball player was dreaming of playing baseball at USC. My daughters were in school and dated some baseball players. It was fun seeing their eye light up when i mentioned I was a huge Fan of USC baseball. We have squandered all of that good will and I am not sure where all the blame goes but it is the truth. We should be the Alabama of College Baseball and picking the cream of the baseball crop but instead we are talking about benching players that can't hit 200. (that's 1 out of 5 for you folks in pickens county)

Yeah it's also ball/strike, fair/foul and out/safe, but it's not quite that simple!
He was paraphrasing Skip in "Bull Durham".

Skip: What's our record, Larry?

Larry: Eight and sixteen.

Skip: Eight... and sixteen. How'd we ever win eight?

Larry: It's a miracle.

Skip: It's a miracle. This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball. You got it?

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
You have to have 9 on the field.

ACTUALLY, He isn't right

Teams:

A minimum of eight (8) roster players shall be required to start a game; a 15-minute grace period from the scheduled game-time will be used, if eight (8) players cannot be fielded in time the game shall be forfeit.

Teams with 8 players shall start their scheduled game; the 9th spot in the batting order shall be left blank and results in an Automatic-Out each time the 9th spot is due to bat. If prior to the 5th inning starting (5th inning starts when the last out is made in the bottom of the 4th) the 9th player arrives on the field he shall be placed in the 9th spot in the batting order. A team that cannot field nine (9) players at the start of the 5th inning will forfeit the game.

[

Reactions: The Garnet Baron
ACTUALLY, He isn't right

Teams:

A minimum of eight (8) roster players shall be required to start a game; a 15-minute grace period from the scheduled game-time will be used, if eight (8) players cannot be fielded in time the game shall be forfeit.

Teams with 8 players shall start their scheduled game; the 9th spot in the batting order shall be left blank and results in an Automatic-Out each time the 9th spot is due to bat. If prior to the 5th inning starting (5th inning starts when the last out is made in the bottom of the 4th) the 9th player arrives on the field he shall be placed in the 9th spot in the batting order. A team that cannot field nine (9) players at the start of the 5th inning will forfeit the game.

[
I bet you are a riot at parties!

Reactions: jeff2001
United States Amateur Baseball Federation and American Baseball Federation Official Rules.

This is in response to the individual who asked if my post was from my local Little League Rules .... and had your post deleted.

Reactions: The Garnet Baron
United States Amateur Baseball Federation and American Baseball Federation Official Rules.

This is in response to the individual who asked if my post was from my local Little League Rules .... and had your post deleted.

I'm not certain but, I'm pretty sure that it is against this board's policy to use any facts, know what you are talking about or understand the rule book when posting. Please refrain from being correct in the future.

When you cite to the NCAA rule book - the rules the Gamecocks play by - you can gloat in your ridiculousness. Start with Rule 5, Section 5(a) which states “Each team shall have nine eligible players in the game at all times”.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT