ADVERTISEMENT

Shut down Benny Snell - Kentucky will fall

dreuscock

Aug 28, 2001
We must take away Kentucky 's ability to run the football in order to win next week. Our defensive line must give the same effort that they did against Vanderbilt and shut down Bennie Snell.

We must take away Kentucky 's ability to run the football in order to win next week. Our defensive line must give the same effort that they did against Vanderbilt and shut down Bennie Snell.
While that is true... I just don't see it happening like that. Shutting down their running game is going to be the key. If it was as simple as saying it, Miss St would have done it.

We are obviously going to load the box and spy their qb on passing situations. I don't think their qb can beat teams with his arm. If we have the same game plan of establishing the run first, like we did this Saturday , we should beat ky.

Agreed they have a good defense and so far good defense has been able to shut us down. Need to scratch our way into this one. This will be the battle of the trenches for both teams. I think AJ needs more snaps

If you concentrate too much on Snell then Wilson will run wild. He is very quick.

Reactions: oakley51
Agreed they have a good defense and so far good defense has been able to shut us down. Need to scratch our way into this one. This will be the battle of the trenches for both teams. I think AJ needs more snaps

AJ is VERY quick to/through the hole!

Reactions: oakley51
True but one time they had this guy named Randall Cobb and though he was clearly the most talented player we couldn’t stop him.

Reactions: DrMickey
While that is true... I just don't see it happening like that. Shutting down their running game is going to be the key. If it was as simple as saying it, Miss St would have done it.
They have a quarterback that can beat you also. Ask Florida. This ain't going to be a simple task.

While Benny Snell is the most important part of the Kentucky offense, the statement that if you stop Snell you win the game is an extreme oversimplification.

* Kentucky has a very good defense. Kentucky just gave up 201 yards to a very good Mississippi State offense. South Carolina has a find a way to score about 21-24 points.
* Kentucky's offense didn't pass against MSU because they didn't have to. In the 2nd half they dominated MSU so thoroughly on the ground that passing wasn't necessary. They can pass when they need to.

Saturday's game should be very interesting.

Last edited:
While Benny Snell is the most important part of the Kentucky offense, the statement that if you stop Snell you win the game is a extreme oversimplification.

* Kentucky has a very good defense. Kentucky just gave up 201 yards to a very good Mississippi State offense. South Carolina has a find a way to score about 21-24 points.
* Kentucky's offense didn't pass against MSU because they didn't have to. In the 2nd half they dominated MSU so thoroughly on the ground passing wasn't necessary. They can pass when they need to.

If I may infer from "interesting" that it will be revealing, I concur completely.

Reactions: Gaimcock and rojas
That's easier said than done.

That is debatable especially miss st.

Since we don’t play Mississippi State this year, I accept your “debatable” comment as axiomatic.

We’ll find out if we’re better than Florida in a few more weeks.

Shutting down KY is a big difference than defending Vandy. Seems like UK finally has the right pieces of the puzzle and as optimistic as I usually am, this UK team looks like a challenge that we may not be ready corn

Reactions: 92Pony
Our receivers run very poor routes. Hard to get separation.

I’m hoping that this Kentucky team is becoming overhyped and they will fall to the same fate we do when we’re overhyped. Odd though that they are ranked, and it’s a home game for them but we still are 2 point favorites.

Reactions: SCexpat38
While Benny Snell is the most important part of the Kentucky offense, the statement that if you stop Snell you win the game is an extreme oversimplification.

* Kentucky's offense didn't pass against MSU because they didn't have to. In the 2nd half they dominated MSU so thoroughly on the ground that passing wasn't necessary. They can pass when they need to.

They held Miss. St. to 53 total yds in the second half.

Reactions: rojas
True but one time they had this guy named Randall Cobb and though he was clearly the most talented player we couldn’t stop him.

It was like we had no clue how to stop him!

yxerq-aust-168.jpeg

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Muschamp's defenses been pretty good at slowing down individual running backs in the past? Seems that way. I mean I can't really think of a guy who ran all over us when he was the primary focus prior to the game.

Since we have not stopped anyone running the ball so far - not even Coastal - I'm not optimistic about our ability to stop the run against Kentucky. They are as good at running as anyone we play. I think we will just have to outscore them, win the TO margin, and have some good ST play.

Last edited:
Shut down Snell is all SC has to do to win... how about Kentucky's defense that held Florida to 16 points AT Florida... and held Miss. St to 7 points.
Benny had good games those days. I agree that their defense has been good and half of their success. But if we can limit the offensive half, that really plays in our favor.

Since we have not stopped anyone running the ball so far - not even Coastal - I'm not optimistic about our ability to stop the run against Kentucky. They are as good at running as anyone we play. I think we will just have to outscore them, win the TO margin, and have some good ST play.
Actually we ONLY have to outscore them.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
I’m hoping that this Kentucky team is becoming overhyped and they will fall to the same fate we do when we’re overhyped. Odd though that they are ranked, and it’s a home game for them but we still are 2 point favorites.

Me too. And, really, now the pressure's on them.

That sounds better. Honestly still a slap in the face to Kentucky. Home team, ranked you should be at least a field goal favorite over am Unranked team

Well...
Kentucky at Florida was FL -16.
Kentucky won by 11.

MissSt at Kentucky. MSU -10.
Kentucky won by 21...and took a knee twice inside the 10 to run out the clock at the end of the game.

I don't think the betting spreads mean much to the outcome.

UK has turned into a very well balanced team. they have weapons all over the field that they don't get a lot of credit for having (at least until the last couple weeks). Plus they have a lot of seniors which means that they have played a lot of snaps.

Hmm, good plan but I'm sure Fla and Miss St had the same plan, do the Cocks have a better Def than those two I guess we will find out Sat.

As a UK fan, the thing that concerns me most is Bentley. UK offense will get some rushing yards, but we're not a scoring juggernaut. Franks and Fitzgerald are both dicey as passers, so Bentley will be the best passing QB we have seen this year. I'm not sold on Bentley as a superstar, but he is better than anyone we have faced. I think South Carolina will move the ball through the air, so I could see this game going into the high 20s or low 30s and a one score game either way.

As a UK fan, the thing that concerns me most is Bentley. UK offense will get some rushing yards, but we're not a scoring juggernaut. Franks and Fitzgerald are both dicey as passers, so Bentley will be the best passing QB we have seen this year. I'm not sold on Bentley as a superstar, but he is better than anyone we have faced. I think South Carolina will move the ball through the air, so I could see this game going into the high 20s or low 30s and a one score game either way.
I agreed with you mostly. If you shut down own run and make us one dimensional it’ll be a long day. But we have more ability to score fast so I think if we were to get up by more than a score Kentucky will struggle to catch up. But I also know if we can’t move the ball Kentucky can use a whole quarter on a drive. Our run defense and back end tackling isn’t exactly great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT