ADVERTISEMENT

Simone Biles pulls out of the team competition. It's unknown at this point if she will compete in the individual events.

Phelps made the olympics as a 15 year old and you're trying to count that against him. lol
I'm guessing Biles wasn't good enough to make the olympics team at 15?

With out a doubt Phelps>>>>>>Biles

Biles is probably the best female gymnast ever I will give you than, though. Even if she is mentally weak.
In women's gymnastics you can't compete at the Olympics unless you're 16. Biles was 15 in 2012 thus ineligible to compete. From 2013 to now she's been the best gymnast in the world including having the most world championships and most golds of any gymnast ever. Speak to any true gymnastics fan and they'll tell you she's the GOAT and how rare her run of constant success has been.

The comparison between Phelps and Biles is such an apple and oranges comparison. For one women's gymnastics has only 6 medals in total that could be won in an Olympics. The fact that she won 5 medals out of a possible 6, where 4 of them being gold in Rio is unheard of. Swimming has so many more events and medal opportunity, that hardly a fair or reasonable comparison.

Mental or physical she left the team hanging to of all countries, Russia. If you are physically able to finish you do it, these events are once every 4 years, a lot of the other girls on the team will never have another chance at gold.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Other athletes have pulled out of events in the Olympics, even the one praised on here as the GOAT.

I dunno. Maybe. Was it in the middle of the team finals, costing the team a shot at the gold medal?

I just read what Biles had to say about it. Pretty easy to read between the lines: she wasn’t doing as well as she hoped to do, so she withdrew.

Reactions: TAV31
I dunno. Maybe. Was it in the middle of the team finals, costing the team a shot at the gold medal?

I just read what Biles had to say about it. Pretty easy to read between the lines: she wasn’t doing as well as she hoped to do, so she withdrew.
Yes....and no, it didn't cost the team the gold because the replacement and the remainder of the team were good enough on their own merit, but it could have.

She wasn't....but you also left out that she felt the team would be better off, since she wasn't performing as well.

Regardless, you can't have one person that is expected to carry the team. If that's the case, that is the fault of the coaches....not the athletes.

Yes....and no, it didn't cost the team the gold because the replacement and the remainder of the team were good enough on their own merit, but it could have.

She wasn't....but you also left out that she felt the team would be better off, since she wasn't performing as well.

Regardless, you can't have one person that is expected to carry the team. If that's the case, that is the fault of the coaches....not the athletes.
Well said. I will also add it’s one thing not to have your head in the game when playing basket ball or swimming. It’s a completely different animal when you are throwing yourself 10+ feet in the air doing highly technical moves where you could break your neck. Paralyzing you forever.

She bowed out to focus on her “mindfulness” whatever the heck that is. Can you imagine Jordan quitting in the finals to focus on his mindfulness?

Whatever remote inclination I may have had to follow this Olympics has been extinguished by seeing how Biles is being hailed as a courageous hero for quitting.

Plenty of teams out there are carried by one person. Jordan, Brady, Lebron…all carried their teams. Great competitors don’t bail on their team when it matters most.

She bowed out to focus on her “mindfulness” whatever the heck that is. Can you imagine Jordan quitting in the finals to focus on his mindfulness?

Whatever remote inclination I may have had to follow this Olympics has been extinguished by seeing how Biles is being hailed as a courageous hero for quitting.

Plenty of teams out there are carried by one person. Jordan, Brady, Lebron…all carried their teams. Great competitors don’t bail on their team when it matters most.
I tend to agree. It’s amazing how many on here crucify Spurrier to this day for quitting mid season on a crap team going no where.

Some of these same people are giving Biles a free pass for quitting on her team in the middle of the Olympics. If her heart was not in it she should have let another person go in her place. It’s why they have alternates.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
Sounds like another person quitting when the going got rough. Starting to set a precedent for future athletes. Hope parents stay strong and teach kids to endure the tough parts of sports.

I tend to agree. It’s amazing how many on here crucify Spurrier to this day for quitting mid season on a crap team going no where.

Some of these same people are giving Biles a free pass for quitting on her team in the middle of the Olympics. If her heart was not in it she should have let another person go in her place. It’s why they have alternates.

yep. In the middle of the team final, no less. When there was no way for the team to do anything about it. As rigorous as the competition is, you don’t make it all the way to the Olympic finals before you realize you’re not mentally right. She wasn’t doing as well as she had hoped and instead of digging deep and overcoming, she quit. I hope she fails horribly in the individual portion.

If she withdrew because she was just not happy with her performance that is one thing. But if she is suffering from some type of severe anxiety, that is altogether different. That's the impression I got from it. There are a number of things that can bring that on, and it can happen at anytime in one's life. I know this firsthand, and I would rather her had just quit from selfishness that to have anxiety so bad that she had to withdraw because of it.

I think she said something to the effect of when she was in one of her flips she wasn't sure where she was exactly.

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31 and Gamekem

Jordan? Pippen and later Rodman would vehemently disagree.

Brady is on a team of 21 other starters...quite a few of whom were very talented in their own right. Too many intricate parts....no one person can carry a team.

LeBron...you may be right, quit following basketball before then.

Jordan? Pippen and later Rodman would vehemently disagree.

Brady is on a team of 21 other starters...quite a few of whom were very talented in their own right.

LeBron...you may be right, quite following basketball before then.

Not one of the Bulls teams would have won a title without Jordan.

No team Lebron has won a title with would have won without him.

Bucs would not have won without Brady last year.

Not one of the Bulls teams would have won a title without Jordan.

No team Lebron has won a title with would have won without him.

Bucs would not have won without Brady last year.
And Jordan never won one without Pippen. If you don't remember, the Pistons had the brilliant gameplan to limit the effectiveness of Jordan.

Brady would never win without a lot of other good teammates....it is the ultimate team game.

And Jordan never won one without Pippen. If you don't remember, the Pistons had the brilliant gameplan to limit the effectiveness of Jordan.

Brady would never win without a lot of other good teammates....it is the ultimate team game.

Well, Pippen didn’t quit in the finals either.

True competitors don’t make themselves integral to the team’s success only to quit when it matters most.

Well, Pippen didn’t quit in the finals either.

True competitors don’t make themselves integral to the team’s success only to quit when it matters most.

By your definition Phelps isn't a "true competitor" either eventhough he has won the most gold medals in Olympics history. I mean he pulled out of the 4x100 medley in the 2004 Olympics (though he still won a team gold because he participated in the heats with the team).

IMO, both are amazing competitors with a lot of pressure piled on them to perform at their absolute best within a short period of time.

Simone Biles won nationals w/broken toes in both feet, worlds w/a kidney stone, and has carried the burden of being a face of sexual assault survivors as a national institution failed to support them

Half of y'all yelling about "toughness" can't handle wearing a mask in a freaking grocery store…you might want to sit this one out
You can drop the mic on that one. Golf clap sir. 👏

Not even close to the same situation.

Reactions: rogue cock
I get so tired of hearing “GOAT.” Can’t compare generations. The measuring stick is different.

Take golf. You don’t think Hogan with the perfect swing, shot making ability and competitiveness could compete with these guys today if he had the same equipment, same fitness program with all the instruments, same ball, etc.. Or Bobby Jones. Maybe some of these guys today could hit it with those shafts they used long ago.

Take basketball. You think these guys today would be as good, particularly stat wise, with an arm bar, hand on the hip defense? And the whistle blowing when your hand went under the ball or you took two steps? They regularly take 3 steps now, no whistle. Different game.

Take any sport. But it gives the talking heads something to yap about.

Simone Biles won nationals w/broken toes in both feet, worlds w/a kidney stone, and has carried the burden of being a face of sexual assault survivors as a national institution failed to support them

Half of y'all yelling about "toughness" can't handle wearing a mask in a freaking grocery store…you might want to sit this one out

yawn

And scared of a little shot....
giphy.gif

This coming from a guy who put his little bother in a dryer?!

No she won't. This just guaranteed her more money and attention than her previous fame.

Sadly, this is probably true. I don’t actually mind all that much that she quit. She was engaged in a supremely difficult undertaking. Quitting is universally relatable because everyone everywhere has quit something at some point in their lives. What’s most troublesome is how her quitting is being covered. If it was just “well, she quit, that’s too bad” that’d be one thing. But, no, it’s being hailed as brave and courageous and even a model for other women/girls to follow.

Most reasonable people would agree with the following:
1. She quit because she was doing something very difficult and wasn’t doing very well, which is something we’re all guilty of.
2. Though she should not be demonized for this, she should also not be celebrated.

Sadly, this is probably true. I don’t actually mind all that much that she quit. She was engaged in a supremely difficult undertaking. Quitting is universally relatable because everyone everywhere has quit something at some point in their lives. What’s most troublesome is how her quitting is being covered. If it was just “well, she quit, that’s too bad” that’d be one thing. But, no, it’s being hailed as brave and courageous and even a model for other women/girls to follow.

1. She quit because she was doing something very difficult and wasn’t doing very well, which is something we’re all guilty of.
2. Though she should not be demonized for this, she should also not be celebrated.

I agree.

She quit on her team during the competition . There is nothing ‘brave’, ‘courageous’, or ‘admirable’ about that.

Judging by how people are responding in this thread alone your “most” assumption you made would be bullshit. Most haven’t agreed with you on number 2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT