ADVERTISEMENT

Since flu season began....

I wonder with all the deaths from the coronavirus, how many of the folks who died were smokers???

Seeing how this virus attacks the respiratory system, people who smoke are at risk from dying than elderly people...

I found this as I was typing this post...

Smokers likely to be more at risk from coronavirus: EU agency

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...risk-from-coronavirus-eu-agency-idUSKBN21C2TS

I’m sure that they all had preexisting conditions.

I thought the same thing with vapors. Especially with the youth. Seems like more youth are getting Corona in the US compared to other countries and vaping is all over our youth. Guess it’s their cool thing to do.

I thought the same thing with vapors. Especially with the youth. Seems like more youth are getting Corona in the US compared to other countries and vaping is all over our youth. Guess it’s their cool thing to do.
Had this same thought myself.

Since flu season began on September 29, 2019, there have been 26 flu-related deathsin South Carolina. Five of those 26 have taken place in the Midlands.

Perspective, please don’t shut the state down. Be smart about our hygiene.

Small numbers.

The CDC says that 23,000 to 59,000 have died of flu in US this season

Lung issues are not going to make you more likely to catch it - more likely to dies.

Young people are getting it more frequently because the think they are immortal

Since flu season began on September 29, 2019, there have been 26 flu-related deathsin South Carolina. Five of those 26 have taken place in the Midlands.

DHEC had reported 99 flu deaths in SC as of 3/11 for this flu season, but point taken.

Reactions: PC31
I wonder how specific the flu data can get. Technically this coronavirus stuff started at the tail end of flu season - I'm wondering if they'll show flu cases in this time period going down when compared to historical numbers as people are actually starting to do the things they should do to prevent the spread of the flu (wash hands often, don't touch face, quarantine yourself if sick, etc.).

what people seem to be missing is that this is a new virus- on top of what we already experience with the flu.

we still have the flu and people getting sick from it. Now we have this on top of it.

Sounds just like the flu..
Worker at NYC hospital where nurses wear trash bags as protection dies from coronavirus.
“NO MORE GOWNS IN THE WHOLE HOSPITAL,” the caption reads.

“NO MORE MASKS AND REUSING THE DISPOSABLE ONES…NURSES FIGURING IT OUT DURING COVID-19 CRISIS.”

The caption includes such hashtags as #heftytotherescue, #riskingourlivestosaveyours and #pleasedonateppe, with the “ppe” referring to “personal protective equipment.”

Meanwhile, staffers at the hospital near Columbus Circle on Wednesday tied the lack of basic supplies there to the death of assistant nursing manager Kious Kelly, who tested positive for coronavirus about two weeks ago.

Kelly, 48, was admitted to Mount Sinai’s flagship hospital on the Upper East Side on March 17 and died Tuesday night, the workers said.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/worke...ash-bags-as-protection-dies-from-coronavirus/

How did China curb it in Wuhan? Armed personnel carriers enforced the “social distancing” with guns
That and they just stop reporting. A country that would arrest and likely murdered the first doctor who tried to sound the alarm bells about this virus isnt going to think twice about manipulating the testing and reporting.

I wonder how specific the flu data can get. Technically this coronavirus stuff started at the tail end of flu season - I'm wondering if they'll show flu cases in this time period going down when compared to historical numbers as people are actually starting to do the things they should do to prevent the spread of the flu (wash hands often, don't touch face, quarantine yourself if sick, etc.).
No doubt the distancing and hygiene practices that have been implemented will also help slow the flu. Which is a good thing because our healthcare providers will need every break they can get right now.

I'd also like to know what effect the "shut down" has had on vehicular traffic accidents and the resulting ambulance trips to the ERs around the country. The reduction in traffic on the roads ought to result in some noticeable drop in those stats as well

I know it's really bad in New York, but keeping businesses shutdown in places such as South Carolina and Kansas etc...so that people can go broke or go into debt is not going help NYC hospitals get gowns and masks and ventilators. It's failing in preparation on behalf of those hospitals and their local and state government to have an adequate stock.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I know it's really bad in New York, but keeping businesses shutdown in places such as South Carolina and Kansas etc...so that people can go broke or go into debt is not going help NYC hospitals get gowns and masks and ventilators. It's failing in preparation on behalf of those hospitals and their local and state government to have an adequate stock.
agreed.... My daughter is a senior in HS, she is missing her Senior year over this crap, Cancelled her senior Track season over this crap, Cancelled her Prom and the $450.00 dress is no good. Now who knows if she will even have a graduation ceremony over this crap. I hate any and all loss of life, for any reason, Car crash, Pneumonia, Flu, Gunshot, etc etc. but IMO this is overkill.... But that is MY OPINION, so those that disagree, you have right to yours.

ITS A NEW VIRUS! It’s cannot be compatibles to seasonal flu people! What don’t we know is what’s going to kill us. Faster too without social distancing! So do your part and be smart and wash and distance and stay home as needed!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Two weeks ago New York had less cases (421) than SC (456)has now. Today New York has over 44,000 cases. I hope that it is overkill and we avoid having like New York. But if we do it may be because of that 'overkill'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_New_York_(state)

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
I guarantee you, That 5 years ago, had we tested for Corona Virus, we would have found THOUSANDS and Thouands with it.. It is not a BRAND NEW DISEASE, the Corona virus has been around a long time.. Is it WORSE now?? Apparently...

Discovery
Human coronaviruses were first discovered in the late 1960s.[8] The earliest ones discovered were an infectious bronchitis virus in chickens and two in human patients with the common cold (later named human coronavirus 229E and human coronavirus OC43).[9] Other members of this family have since been identified, including SARS-CoV in 2003, HCoV NL63 in 2004, HKU1 in 2005, MERS-CoV in 2012, and SARS-CoV-2 (formerly known as 2019-nCoV) in 2019. Most of these have involved serious respiratory tract infections.

and that's with a vacin....js

Apparently, you're not familiar with the limited testing in SC. Even with that, the numbers are increasing every day. By the time "it gets bad", it's too late.

I guarantee you, That 5 years ago, had we tested for Corona Virus, we would have found THOUSANDS and Thouands with it.. It is not a BRAND NEW DISEASE, the Corona virus has been around a long time.. Is it WORSE now?? Apparently...

Discovery
Human coronaviruses were first discovered in the late 1960s.[8] The earliest ones discovered were an infectious bronchitis virus in chickens and two in human patients with the common cold (later named human coronavirus 229E and human coronavirus OC43).[9] Other members of this family have since been identified, including SARS-CoV in 2003, HCoV NL63 in 2004, HKU1 in 2005, MERS-CoV in 2012, and SARS-CoV-2 (formerly known as 2019-nCoV) in 2019. Most of these have involved serious respiratory tract infections.
There are a lot of Coronaviruses; COVID-19 is a new one, or at least new to human knowledge.

Two weeks ago New York had less cases (421) than SC (456)has now. Today New York has over 44,000 cases. I hope that it is overkill and we avoid having like New York. But if we do it may be because of that 'overkill'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_New_York_(state)

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I doubt that things would be as serious in SC as they are in NY. We are a very green state - in that I mean we have a very small population. We are an agricultural state - lots of farms, fields, and timberlands. As such, our population density is pitifully small compared to NY's. We aren't living on top of one another like say NYC is.....

But one thing about all of these references to the flu.

The reason that we have as high a number of deaths every flu season, is because even though we have vaccines, people still do not inoculate.

The 2017-2018 flue season, we had 80,000+ deaths. It was determined that half of those deaths did not vaccinate. 80% of the 230 children deaths had no record of being vaccinated.

Imagine what the total numbers may be if NO ONE ever got flu vaccines every year?? Well, we currently have no vaccine for this COVID-19, and it is more infectious than the flu, and has a greater mortality rate than the flu.

People constantly talk about, "we have the flu every year, and no one shuts down!!"

Well, what does the federal authorities tell us when we get the flu?? What does the Surgeon General tell us every year???

"if you are sick with the flu, stay home. If you are an employer and your employees get sick with the flu, tell them to stay home until they are better!" They DO NOT tell people to keep going out and about, going to work, and acting like nothing's wrong. That's what happened during 2017-18 - people weren't getting vaccinated, and they were getting the flu from other people who were sick. At work, at school, in restaurants, in malls.

But what if everyone was sick with the flu?? What would the federal authorities say then?? Probably the exact same thing they are telling everyone right now. But we are all overreacting, right??

Reactions: ddw1263
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT