ADVERTISEMENT

So Barham's High School Coach Called Beamer a Liar

Coach sounds like an a$$. It’s not what’s best for your players to ban a school from recruiting them. That’s a total power move by someone that wants to be in control.

I doubt Beamer lied about the call. But this is a learning experience for him. I’m sure the reason he mentioned it was because he wanted to explain it when we had so much momentum. In the end, Beamer probably shouldn’t have said anything. Nothing to gain and you’ll never win going against an 18 year old and their mom…especially when you are making millions of $’s. But he’ll learn.

What are we gonna miss out by not recruiting that one school in MD?

At this point, yes, Shane should just let it go, but he absolutely did the right thing by laying out what happened. Especially after the mom was running her mouth about us at his commitment..."Go Terps sounds better than Go Cocks." Moron. The whole thing was obviously staged. Why else would she have reason to say such an ignorant thing? If that's how mom acts, the apple probably doesn't fall far from the tree, so we're better off without him.

On second thought, if I were Beamer, I'd release a statement saying something to the effect of "We have already internally made the decision not to recruit St. Francis. Our program is one that places the highest value on honesty, integrity and loyalty. We understand that not everyone is aligned with our values."
St Francis is Assisi.

Recruiting is a rough and tumble business, and Shane grew up as the son of a hard nosed hall of fame coach who he worked and played for. None of this would surprise him.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Looking at the coach’s Facebook page, most of his players don’t even go to power 5 schools. They go to places like Bowling Green and Old Dominion and FCS schools. For such a “powerhouse” program you’d think their kids would be signing at bigger programs but they aren’t.

Both the Maryland coach and the high school coach deny this. Beamer got a call from someone he trusted to be reliable with this information. Not doubting Beamer's side of the story but is it reliable information. He's upset about what went down, but should he make a comment publically about something that he can't prove. Some people in the media outlets look for something to write and make noise. Beamer provided them with a story. In my opinion, it doesn't look good for either program but the high school coach says the staging wasn't true.
This HS coach is about as credible as Urban Meyer and Dabo Swinney. He is a pimp for elite athletes - nothing more, nothing less. He just likes to hear himself talk. This isn't the first time he has attempted to claim his 15 minutes of fame. The LSU incident preceded ours.

Well, let's look at the events/facts from the standpoint of a casual, non-biased bystander.

- There was a spirited recruiting battle between USC and Maryland for the player.
- The player was set to commit, then in the moments leading up to his ceremony (and after it came out that he was set to commit to MD), it was delayed by an hour or so.
- The player, during his delayed ceremony, commits to USC.
- Immediately after the ceremony, Beamer gets a call from someone "in the know" telling him that this is an act and a flip will take place on signing day. Now, we have no proof of this.. but why would Beamer lie about it? It would serve no purpose to make it up. Nor does Beamer have any previous history of lying/stretching the truth.
- On signing day eve, Beamer talks to the kid and the mom, where they re-affirm their commitment and speak about how impressed they were with the way our coaches handled their business. Again, we have no proof of this, but like the last point, what would be the purpose of lying about this?
- Finally, and THIS is what, in my opinion, supports the entire story that Beamer told, the family shows up to the signing ceremony with at least some of them dressed in Gamecock garb, only to pull a switcheroo and sign with Maryland.

This was not a commitment ceremony where the kid switched hats or did a multiple shirt thing. This was a signing ceremony where the player had already publically committed to one school, the family showed up in that school's gear, then they pulled the switch. You can't tell me that the entire family didn't know about it.

So, if you're looking at the facts as a non-biased observer, who would you believe based on what you have seen? I don't have an issue with Shane being brutally honest about this. Coaching staffs get called on the carpet when they do dirty, underhanded crap, and they SHOULD. It should be no different for anyone else. Wrong is wrong.
Sure seems like we got done dirty... used to drum up drama for a signing day "coup". Picking on us because we're an easy target. Doubt he would have done the same to Bama or Clem or Ga.

I'm biased, but I would trust Beamer over a hs coach. If the kid made some sort of statement like "I actually had to re-think things. It was difficult, but I'm choosing Maryland today." Instead it seemed like a staged event.

Oh well, things like this tend to come back around at some point. I don't think Beamer did anything wrong by calling it out. Always take the high road.

Beamer got somewhat Punked. He learned a lesson in taking a 18 year old's word. I don't think it will happen again.

Reactions: Lakecock1
This HS coach is about as credible as Urban Meyer and Dabo Swinney. He is a pimp for elite athletes - nothing more, nothing less. He just likes to hear himself talk. This isn't the first time he has attempted to claim his 15 minutes of fame. The LSU incident preceded ours.
You may be right. But what source is Beamer relying on? He hasn't named his source. Both the Maryland coach and and the High school coach have come forward, that at least adds some credibility to their claim. Beamer should name his source and let him come forward with proof.

True. Beamer should Have approached it that way.
OMG! Now our 'pipeline' for elite recruits from St. Francis has been shut down. What will we do without them? LMAO

F this coach and the high horse he rode in on.

If Beamer has any proof, I'd make sure that proof made it's way to the proper authorities.

Not sure it looks good for either school or coach. Not doubting Beamer's side of the story. Just not sure it looks good to call a recruit out and make a big issue about a kid changing his mind. Kids change their mind all the time, it's part of the recruiting game. It upsets the fans and now it appears to upset the coach. Beamer is an experienced recruiter but inexperienced head coach. Sometimes it's best to move on from a situation and not bring unwanted attention to a struggling program and some positive momentum from this season.
I agree to certain extent but this situation seems way out of the norm and was completely unnecessary. Committing one day and confirming the night before then Beamer receiving information that this is all a gambit is not a normal situation. Kid played our program and tried to embarrass us. Screw him and his parents, coaches and all involved. Most people with any class would agree. I’m glad Beamer called them out because it throws it back in their face and shows them as having zero class. It makes them look bad, not Beamer or the program and that’s why they are upset and trying to CYA. But they deserve every bit of blow back for their behavior. Kid needs to learn right from wrong. Hopefully this helps him in the future.

Interesting. I don't feel like Shane would lie about the phone call telling him what was going to happen, but wonder if he actually gains anything (or loses anything) by being so honest about this. Would it have been better to just have alluded to knowing what was up, as opposed to directly calling the kid out? Just something simple like: we were actually expecting this based on information we received after his verbal commitment - and just left it at that?

It obviously needed to be addressed (so USC doesn't look foolish in the eyes of other recruits), but maybe a little too far? Of course, what's done is done. Maybe it's a good thing and I'm just not seeing it?
It'll all blow over and it's just one school anyway. For what it's worth, I believe our coach. He's not the type to fabricate. The other side just didn't count on being publicly exposed and so now have to impugn our coach's veracity. I'm sticking with our coach on this - all the way.

Well, let's look at the events/facts from the standpoint of a casual, non-biased bystander.

- There was a spirited recruiting battle between USC and Maryland for the player.
- The player was set to commit, then in the moments leading up to his ceremony (and after it came out that he was set to commit to MD), it was delayed by an hour or so.
- The player, during his delayed ceremony, commits to USC.
- Immediately after the ceremony, Beamer gets a call from someone "in the know" telling him that this is an act and a flip will take place on signing day. Now, we have no proof of this.. but why would Beamer lie about it? It would serve no purpose to make it up. Nor does Beamer have any previous history of lying/stretching the truth.
- On signing day eve, Beamer talks to the kid and the mom, where they re-affirm their commitment and speak about how impressed they were with the way our coaches handled their business. Again, we have no proof of this, but like the last point, what would be the purpose of lying about this?
- Finally, and THIS is what, in my opinion, supports the entire story that Beamer told, the family shows up to the signing ceremony with at least some of them dressed in Gamecock garb, only to pull a switcheroo and sign with Maryland.

This was not a commitment ceremony where the kid switched hats or did a multiple shirt thing. This was a signing ceremony where the player had already publically committed to one school, the family showed up in that school's gear, then they pulled the switch. You can't tell me that the entire family didn't know about it.

So, if you're looking at the facts as a non-biased observer, who would you believe based on what you have seen? I don't have an issue with Shane being brutally honest about this. Coaching staffs get called on the carpet when they do dirty, underhanded crap, and they SHOULD. It should be no different for anyone else. Wrong is wrong.
You nailed it……an 18 year old and family go as far as to make a youtube video for attention, stage more attention at signing, but don’t want the attention when facts come out around said attention.

Who gives a rats ass about that HS coach. I won’t bother to read the article. If that’s the way his players act, there’s thousands of high schools in the nation we don’t need his. Sounds like the coach is the one who needs a character check along with the player.

It'll all blow over and it's just one school anyway. For what it's worth, I believe our coach. He's not the type to fabricate. The other side just didn't count on being publicly exposed and so now have to impugn our coach's veracity. I'm sticking with our coach on this - all the way.
You hit it….they figured the con game was their little secret but it backfired.

Think Saban would give a _____ about this coach?
Helllllll no

I’m not saying we have Saban or we’re Alabama - I get all that - but I am saying you can carry yourself and hold people to SOME level of standards in this crazy world of CFB

So you mean expecting a player to have a small amount of integrity is a good thing. Me too.

Coaches should too…..but Beamer was simply asked about that flip, and said he got a call the night the kid committed saying it was a ploy and the flip was coming on signing day. Beamer says he talked to the player and mom at 10:30 the night before and they were all in. They flipped like the caller said, and the family was wearing Gcock gear at the signing. So Shane was simply pointing out the facts cause reporters love to ask what went wrong on our end to lose a recruit.

Lol….or lesson learned for the player.
More likely no lesson for the player, the player's coach or the player's family, beyond learning to appraise your adversary. There are people now who believe that lying is fine as long as a narrative or agenda is protected or advanced. They don't even consider it wrong and getting called out is a mere inconvenience.

You may be right. But what source is Beamer relying on? He hasn't named his source. Both the Maryland coach and and the High school coach have come forward, that at least adds some credibility to their claim. Beamer should name his source and let him come forward with proof.
Of course they will deny it, otherwise everyone knows they’re scumbags for pulling that stunt.

Screw that tool bag HS coach. Revoked LSU for doing the same thing he said is acceptable like robertfoosball said. Welcome to the real world Junior. You now know how it works. And honestly, I might be biased, but Maryland as a program offers NOTHING that we do. An afterthought in an area where people still obsess over the 1983 Failskins, not to mention they are about 100x worse off (and a terrible fit) in the B1G than WVU is in the Big 12

More likely no lesson for the player, the player's coach or the player's family, beyond learning to appraise your adversary. There are people now who believe that lying is fine as long as a narrative or agenda is protected or advanced. They don't even consider it wrong and getting called out is a mere inconvenience.
Sadly, you stated the problem concisely. I taught my kids old school. Never lie, cheat or steal….help others less fortunate, and admit when you’re wrong. Today’s world has indeed blurred those lines.

I agree to certain extent but this situation seems way out of the norm and was completely unnecessary. Committing one day and confirming the night before then Beamer receiving information that this is all a gambit is not a normal situation. Kid played our program and tried to embarrass us. Screw him and his parents, coaches and all involved. Most people with any class would agree. I’m glad Beamer called them out because it throws it back in their face and shows them as having zero class. It makes them look bad, not Beamer or the program and that’s why they are upset and trying to CYA. But they deserve every bit of blow back for their behavior. Kid needs to learn right from wrong. Hopefully this helps him in the future.
Amen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT