ADVERTISEMENT

So Barham's High School Coach Called Beamer a Liar

Apparently you do. I didn't ask you to read or respond to my post.
giphy.gif

What about the blowback our way? Is this being blown out of proportion by the Sports media? We got played, but not like we haven't been played before. What the difference in this kid flipping and the kid that flipped to Clemson. In the end the results are the same. The only reason Beamer is butt hurt is he supposedly got some reliable info about a conspiracy about bring part of a publicity stunt.
What blowback? Everything that I have read has stated that it was a classless move by this kid and all involved. It’s bs and he should be called out for it.

I try to look at both sides of the issue. Beamer gets some information from his anonymous reliable source and calls out an 18 yr. Old kid, his parents, his high school coach and a college coach who all deny any conspiracy. I believe Beamer's story. Did it go down the way his source alleges? I don't know for sure but neither anyone on this site. I guess it depends on what side of the issue you are on. Should have moved on in my opinion.
The source is anonymous to us. Not Beamer. You think Beamer didn't know his source?

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
"The sad part is, people don’t know people and they just make judgements, right, and they put it out there. I was a little disappointed in coach Beamer for him to say that about that kid because that’s not the truth..."

Says that they may cut off Gamecocks from recruiting there, like they did LSU. Drama queens.

Also, unless you want to get really pissed, do not read the comment section.

https://247sports.com/college/maryl...r-for-Barham-comment-It-wasnt-true-178587796/

The St Francis HC had his pick of choices. He could be persona non gratis at Maryland or South Carolina. Now his current school is in Baltimore. Who's in his backyard and who's not? If he's a real standup guy, he probably called CSB and told him what he was going to say & why. No biggie either way. The schools we need to really concern ourselves with are in the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama & virginia. That's where 90%+ of our talent will come from.

Not sure it looks good for either school or coach. Not doubting Beamer's side of the story. Just not sure it looks good to call a recruit out and make a big issue about a kid changing his mind. Kids change their mind all the time, it's part of the recruiting game. It upsets the fans and now it appears to upset the coach. Beamer is an experienced recruiter but inexperienced head coach. Sometimes it's best to move on from a situation and not bring unwanted attention to a struggling program and some positive momentum from this season.
This was not a case of a kid changing his mind. I have no problem with a kid changing his mind. I have a big problem with faking a commitment so you can stage a flip in order to try and make Carolina look bad.

This was not a case of a kid changing his mind. I have no problem with a kid changing his mind. I have a big problem with faking a commitment so you can stage a flip in order to try and make Carolina look bad.
You have a problem, fine. Take it up with his parents, the high school coach and the Maryland coach. See where that gets you.

You have a problem, fine. Take it up with his parents, the high school coach and the Maryland coach. See where that gets you.
Not sure what that reply is all about. I'm not trying to "get somewhere". It happened. You don't have a problem with a recruit, his family, and the HC of another University pulling a classless, low rent stunt to make USC look bad? You don't have a problem with some HS coach calling your HC a liar? Do you think Beamer is lying? Do you think this wasn't a set up? Are you really a Carolina fan?

I think it would be delightful if football coaches would adopt the laissez-faire, dismissive, "open ended" approach that some players do...tell the players, "Well, we have not decided on whether you'll play for us...but we'll let you know". smdh at coddling a bunch of know-nothings as though they were adults capable of coherent thoughts with actual plan-making abilities.
Sure, that would go really well.

I did some digging around, this coach seems very Dabo-ish. He seems very shady, loves to act holier than thou. Yeah I wouldn’t put too much care in what he says or anything about his shady program. I bet this guy was even in on it.
I know who I trust. Shane’s character is unimpeachable.

"The sad part is, people don’t know people and they just make judgements, right, and they put it out there. I was a little disappointed in coach Beamer for him to say that about that kid because that’s not the truth..."

Says that they may cut off Gamecocks from recruiting there, like they did LSU. Drama queens.

Also, unless you want to get really pissed, do not read the comment section.

https://247sports.com/college/maryl...r-for-Barham-comment-It-wasnt-true-178587796/

I don't care either way but I think Shane was just being honest with his thoughts.

The kid and his mom spent a lot of time just this past weekend on the phone with him detailing why they thought South Carolina was the perfect place for him.

Then all of a sudden Shane says he hears that the kid will be going to Maryland and it's a done deal. Not that he's having second thoughts - not that he still isn't sure - but that he's going to Maryland and that has been the plan all along.

I think it's fair for Beamer to believe it was a set up.

Was it? no idea. In the end, it doesn't matter. Kid made his choice and that's over.

I don't care where a kid picks to go to school but as the father of a college junior and a high school senior that has selected his choice, I don't understand how anyone gets to the point where they tell one school one thing and then back out and pick another school right after making a public commit.

My high school senior has been actively pursued by 2 particular schools because of his academic performance. It's been aggressive at times. But I know it's nothing like an athlete faces.

But at no time would I ever imagine my son promising one school that's he's coming there and then immediately backing out and promising the other. That's inconceivable to me.
And that's the whole point. Do you really want someone like that on your team?

Screw that tool bag HS coach. Revoked LSU for doing the same thing he said is acceptable like robertfoosball said. Welcome to the real world Junior. You now know how it works. And honestly, I might be biased, but Maryland as a program offers NOTHING that we do. An afterthought in an area where people still obsess over the 1983 Failskins, not to mention they are about 100x worse off (and a terrible fit) in the B1G than WVU is in the Big 12
Other than WBB, Terp athletics has been on a downward trend since they joined the B1G.

Reactions: lostcock
Coach Beamer did.
I don't care either way but I think Shane was just being honest with his thoughts.

The kid and his mom spent a lot of time just this past weekend on the phone with him detailing why they thought South Carolina was the perfect place for him.

Then all of a sudden Shane says he hears that the kid will be going to Maryland and it's a done deal. Not that he's having second thoughts - not that he still isn't sure - but that he's going to Maryland and that has been the plan all along.

I think it's fair for Beamer to believe it was a set up.

Was it? no idea. In the end, it doesn't matter. Kid made his choice and that's over.

I don't care where a kid picks to go to school but as the father of a college junior and a high school senior that has selected his choice, I don't understand how anyone gets to the point where they tell one school one thing and then back out and pick another school right after making a public commit.

My high school senior has been actively pursued by 2 particular schools because of his academic performance. It's been aggressive at times. But I know it's nothing like an athlete faces.

But at no time would I ever imagine my son promising one school that's he's coming there and then immediately backing out and promising the other. That's inconceivable to me.
And that's the whole point. Do you really want someone like that on your team?

Coach Beamer did.
Did the Barham family show any signs of an about face during the recruiting process? I'm guessing not, and that's what CSB was going on. And thus, my assessment that Coach Beamer did not. Otherwise, I might agree with you, Watson.

Last edited:
Do you think the family was trying to make Carolina specifically look bad? What if it was a recruiting battle between NC State and Maryland? Would they have done the same thing? I'm thinking they would have done this to the non-Maryland school regardless of the name of the institution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lakecock1
I’d like to not miss our opportunity again for a seat at the table like we did in 2013 then we could probably have an MNC this literal century. People say it took Spurrier years to get to that point, well, that’s usually how it works. It took Dilbert 7-8 years not even counting that he was a Tates assistant forever so he already had that familiarity with the program, recruiting, and otherwise….he certainly knew who the bagmen were. But anyway, that was a huge, unfortunate swing and a miss for us for which I’m afraid we will never recover. Not with the current mindset anyway. Not a dig at CSB, it is MUCH bigger than him

Do you think the family was trying to make Carolina specifically look bad? What if it was a recruiting battle between NC State and Maryland? Would they have done the same thing? I'm thinking they would have done this to the non-Maryland school regardless of the name of the institution.
What does that have to do with it. It wasn't NC St, it was Carolina so it was definitely done to make Carolina look bad. IF it had been NC ST, it would have been done to make NC St look bad. Some people think the best way to make themselves look better is to make someone else look bad.

Reactions: cockymom2boys
What does that have to do with it. It wasn't NC St, it was Carolina so it was definitely done to make Carolina look bad. IF it had been NC ST, it would have been done to make NC St look bad. Some people think the best way to make themselves look better is to make someone else look bad.
Very true. Unfortunately, many people have a zero sum attitude toward life.

Reactions: atl-cock
Not sure what that reply is all about. I'm not trying to "get somewhere". It happened. You don't have a problem with a recruit, his family, and the HC of another University pulling a classless, low rent stunt to make USC look bad? You don't have a problem with some HS coach calling your HC a liar? Do you think Beamer is lying? Do you think this wasn't a set up? Are you really a Carolina fan?
Yes, I'm a Carolina fan, I don't think Beamer is lying and I'm not so sure about the set up. It's not like kids have sit down at a commitment ceremony with hats in front of them and each team thinks they will get the nod and the kid changes his mind the night before with fans and coaches thinking he is going to commit. It's just not a big deal to me and just doesn't seem right for a coach of a major program to call out an eighteen year old kid in a public setting. This kinda stuff happens everywhere every year. To me it shows immaturity and inexperience and lack of professionalism. You rarely see great head coach whine over losing a committed player who changes his mind.

Yes, I'm a Carolina fan, I don't think Beamer is lying and I'm not so sure about the set up. It's not like kids have sit down at a commitment ceremony with hats in front of them and each team thinks they will get the nod and the kid changes his mind the night before with fans and coaches thinking he is going to commit. It's just not a big deal to me and just doesn't seem right for a coach of a major program to call out an eighteen year old kid in a public setting. This kinda stuff happens everywhere every year. To me it shows immaturity and inexperience and lack of professionalism. You rarely see great head coach whine over losing a committed player who changes his mind.
I've followed recruiting for years and I've never heard of a kid making a fake commitment so he can perpetrate a PLANNED last minute flip. If you can't see the difference between a last minute change of heart and a planned, sham commitment to showboat a flip, I don't know what to tell you.

If you don't believe Beamer is lying then the following are facts:

1. The kid committed on Saturday
2. Someone called Beamer and told him that it was a ruse.
3. The kid reaffirmed his commitment on Tuesday night at 10:30 pm.
4. The signed with Maryland

Last minute flips happened all of the time and I've seen coaches comment on the fact that "he is a good kid and did what he felt was right at the last minute." In most situations, the kid is interviewed and talks about why he changed his mind and they usually also say they called the original coach to explain what happened. In these situations, I think everyone feels a little bad about it but it's probably the best thing for everyone.

What you never see is someone from the kid's camp feeling bad for a ruse and calling a coach to let him know it is a set-up. So, this is not a kid "who changes his mind" but a kid who purposely lied to set up a show. You call it whining. I'm glad Beamer outed the kid/family/coach.

Again, this is a different culture that has been on the troll for a long time. Squeezing money is not a big deal. Neither is stealing. Get used to it.

I don't understand how some people can't see the difference between a kid having a last minute change of heart and a kid being a lying scumbag that fakes a commitment with no intention of ever signing with the school just to try and embarrass the school, it's coaches, and fans by perpetrating a sham flip.

You are actually supporting my assertion - it wasn't a vendetta against USC pe se. It was with whomever was competing with Maryland for his services.

What it has to do with it is that far too many Gamecock fans have an "us against the world" mentality and that "everyone is out to get us." Not so.

Last edited:
The St Francis HC had his pick of choices. He could be persona non gratis at Maryland or South Carolina. Now his current school is in Baltimore. Who's in his backyard and who's not? If he's a real standup guy, he probably called CSB and told him what he was going to say & why. No biggie either way. The schools we need to really concern ourselves with are in the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama & virginia. That's where 90%+ of our talent will come from.

RE: dealing with Maryland in any matter - if you lay down with dogs (that are called turtles) you'll come up with s***

Lost in all of this is the fact that the kid may have been used as a pawn. I see a lot of people on here trashing the kid, but if it was set up by the coach, what if the kid really didn’t want to do it? If his family was okay with it (or didn’t know), and it was orchestrated by the coach/school, I truly hate it for the kid.

Lost in all of this is the fact that the kid may have been used as a pawn. I see a lot of people on here trashing the kid, but if it was set up by the coach, what if the kid really didn’t want to do it? If his family was okay with it (or didn’t know), and it was orchestrated by the coach/school, I truly hate it for the kid.
Or maybe his parents set it up.

The takeaway is that someone up there played the non-Maryland school as a ruse. From everything posted, it sounds like Beamer handled it properly.

Last edited:
You are actually supporting my assertion - it wasn't a vendetta against USC pe se. It was with whomever was competing with Maryland for his services.

What it has to do with it is that far too many Gamecock fans have an "us against the world" mentality and that "everyone is out to get us." Not so.
No, I'm not. Your assertion is that it's doesn't mater because he would have done it to another school. but he didn't do it to another school, he did it to US. I don't subscribe to the "everyone is out to get us" mentality, but in this case he was out to get us. It's irrelevant whether or not he "would" have done it to another school, there wasn't another school. He did it to us. I never said he did it BECAUSE we're USC, just that he did it and it was a low rent, scumbag thing to do. It would be just as low rent a stunt no matter who was the target. It would still be a scumbag act even if they had done it to Clempson. He's a scumbag, his mother's a scumbag, Locksley's a scumbag, and anyone that took part in it is a scumbag. It's like a woman saying yes when you proposed knowing that at the altar she was going to "decide" that she really wanted to marry the Best Man and lay a great big F*** off on you in front of everyone at the wedding. People that think it's no big deal and are OK with the stunt are speaking volumes about their own standards for acceptable conduct.

My dad would have whipped my ass for pulling a stunt like that.
His parents (or at least his Mom) were in on the stunt from the start, so maybe he would have gotten an ass whipping if he hadn't gone along with the stunt.

No, I'm not. Your assertion is that it's doesn't matter because he would have done it to another school. but he didn't do it to another school, he did it to US. I don't subscribe to the "everyone is out to get us" mentality, but in this case he was out to get us. It's irrelevant whether or not he "would" have done it to another school, there wasn't another school. He did it to us. I never said he did it BECAUSE we're USC, just that he did it and it was a low rent, scumbag thing to do. It would be just as low rent a stunt no matter who was the target. It would still be a scumbag act even if they had done it to Clempson. He's a scumbag, his mother's a scumbag, Locksley's a scumbag, and anyone that took part in it is a scumbag. It's like a woman saying yes when you proposed knowing that at the altar she was going to "decide" that she really wanted to marry the Best Man and lay a great big F*** off on you in front of everyone at the wedding. People that think it's no big deal and are OK with the stunt are speaking volumes about their own standards for acceptable conduct.
What was done was despicable, regardless of the "non-Maryland school," no question there.

I've re-read your post. I'm glad you don't subscribe to the "everyone is out to get us" mentality. This mentality has afflicted USC for far too long, i.e., the "chicken curse" raises up now and again, but not this time.

Any thoughts, in your opinion, as to why they would target USC as opposed to say, Penn State, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, or VPI?

What was done was despicable, regardless of the "non-Maryland school," no question there.

I've re-read your post. I'm glad you don't subscribe to the "everyone is out to get us" mentality. This mentality has afflicted USC for far too long, i.e., the "chicken curse" raises up now and again, but not this time.

Any thoughts, in your opinion, as to why they would target USC as opposed to say, Penn State, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, or VPI?
I think (if my memory serves me) because at one point it was said publicly it was down to UM or USC. Plus, since Locksley was in on it he probably figured it would look better flipping from a SEC team.

18 year old kids get killed in war. Forgive me if I don’t feel sorry for some 18 year old and his family getting their attention hogging whorish behavior exposed. I’m sure it was all a barrel of laughs until they were exposed. This will be my last post cause it’s really in the scheme of world events not that big a deal. Your reputation and character is based on what you do. I’d say that kids took a step back but it’s not the end of the world. Anyone blasting Beamer for telling it like it is is a Clemson redneck tater. These kids as you say can sign multi million dollar deals. If you can’t take the heat keep your ass off YouTube Mr “kid”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT