ADVERTISEMENT

So is Tyson...

I'm with you. I feel like he has just a little better Vision than anyone else we have right now. Plus he's more likely to break a tackle. Really like how he chooses a lane to make his cut back instead of just barreling towards the corner. Not taking anything away from AJ Turner because we could use a dozen more players like him but I'd really like to see Williams used more.

Reactions: SCDuke15
It is clearly something more- off field going on.. He did not look bad when they played him some yesterday though.

Turner and Denson are over all better , not hard to see on the field against quality competition

Someone said Tyson has the better vision, but I think Turner clearly has the better vision and a quick first step when he sees a crease. He is quick to cut and accelerate and I love that. His biggest issue is his small frame and weight for the times when a hole is NOT there. He's tough, but he's going to have a hard time barreling through a stacked line to squeeze out a first down. But with any opening at all, man, he is fun to watch.

I think Denson has looked good, especially in short yardage. But he had a play yesterday where a bulldozer approach would have picked up a first down (and he's got the power to do it), but he tried to run around the corner and lost 3 yards. That's where I think Turner excels, with knowing where to make his cut.

Lattimore had the best first cut I remember for a recent Gamecock, and I think Turner is right there with him in that regard - but that extra 50 pounds of muscle and mass made Lattimore elite.

Turner and Denson are over all better , not hard to see on the field against quality competition
IMO Tyson is easily the best runner of the bunch- minus the UGA game

He's our most talented back... just needs to put everything together
Do love the way Turner plays tho

Reactions: myrtlecock
It is clearly something more- off field going on.. He did not look bad when they played him some yesterday though.

So he couldn’t pass block at UNC. Then as he sat out a year he couldn’t learn it. Now 11 games in he still hasn’t? I’m with you. Gotta be something else.

So he couldn’t pass block at UNC. Then as he sat out a year he couldn’t learn it. Now 11 games in he still hasn’t? I’m with you. Gotta be something else.
You could see it on the field. Why he didn't learn it at UNC or during the year he sat out, who knows....but obviously he didn't.

Reactions: cocky4

Pass blocking isn't about talent .its about wanting to block , more than learning to block , it's very easy to see as the coaches do , that Williams is the worst blocker , and they have to protect the most important player on the field - the qb

Dude cant block...Or scared to put his face in the fan.....That is keeping him off the field
I really hadn't been paying a lot of attention to this. Not protecting the passer would be reason enough to sit him down. It's a pity because he is a good running back.

Pass blocking isn't about talent .its about wanting to block , more than learning to block , it's very easy to see as the coaches do , that Williams is the worst blocker , and they have to protect the most important player on the field - the qb

Exactly right. You got to want to put your face in the fan as Coach says it. Tyson has whiffed on so many blocks. Even the commentators last night mentioned that AJ was our best pass blocker and Jake had the most confidence in him as a blocker.

Just don’t understand a person who will run up the middle with 11 angry guys wanting to hurt you... but will not hit one of them if they come rushing in.

Even though it was the last drive, burning clock, I was impressed with Kinlaw. Hard nosed running, and especially impressed with his balance and ability to stay upright and charging, despite getting hit and spinning.

A. J. seems to struggle if the hole isn't where it was supposed to be. He seems to have great long range vision after he clears the line of scrimmage, if he gets there. He seems to be sticking to the coach's designed play, but the OL is not holding up their end of play.

Williams seems to sort the best hole given to him, better, as the play develops. He is relying more on gut feel and abandons the designed play quicker. Not necessarily a bad thing if you make enough 5 yards runs to justify leaving you in. But it isn't as consistent as a designed play when everyone is pulling their own weight (pointing finger at OL).

Reactions: Judson1
Just don’t understand a person who will run up the middle with 11 angry guys wanting to hurt you... but will not hit one of them if they come rushing in.

I'm with you. I don't think it's about "want to" like some are saying. I think pass blocking is much more difficult to understand the schemes than we give credit for on these forums. You can "want to" all day long and still not see the blitzing corner that was your responsibility while you instead go help a lineman that you thought was going to miss his block, thereby letting your corner drill the QB. Tyson is willing to get pummeled when he has the ball, so I think it's bull that he doesn't have the desire to block someone. I think he must just miss the read too often.

Even though it was the last drive, burning clock, I was impressed with Kinlaw. Hard nosed running, and especially impressed with his balance and ability to stay upright and charging, despite getting hit and spinning.

A. J. seems to struggle if the hole isn't where it was supposed to be. He seems to have great long range vision after he clears the line of scrimmage, if he gets there. He seems to be sticking to the coach's designed play, but the OL is not holding up their end of play.

Williams seems to sort the best hole given to him, better, as the play develops. He is relying more on gut feel and abandons the designed play quicker. Not necessarily a bad thing if you make enough 5 yards runs to justify leaving you in. But it isn't as consistent as a designed play when everyone is pulling their own weight (pointing finger at OL).

I see no struggles in A.J. Turner...SC would take 10 other A.J. Turner's, heart of a lion

I see no struggles in A.J. Turner...SC would take 10 other A.J. Turner's, heart of a lion
Struggles with OL not creating a hole he expects to be opening when he gets there. Not saying he is struggling at running the ball. It's was more noticeable earlier in the season, so OL is improving.

A. J. would take a hand off, charging hard, then bounce off one off the guards or tackes that didn't move his guy as expected (and no hole opened up).

True. Football IQ plays a part as well. Some backs have difficultly reading defenses and identifying their responsibility. But there's no question Williams has the body to be a good blocker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT